Quantcast

Remember all the coin you dropped for your HDTV? Well get ready to do it again.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
And to think you guys were giving me a hard time about being out of touch....... :rolleyes:
As retro as you pretend to be, I'm surprised you admit to a TV with sound. :think:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
N8 said:
Oh damn!

My Panasonic plasma has a HDMI and DVI inputs... so I don't have a legit reason to upgrade.

That totally locos...!

:mad:
That doesn't mean squat. HDCP is an encryption algorhythym. Lots of people have hdmi inputs (my sony wega from 5 years ago does), it doesn't do HDCP.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Westy said:
Oh no! I hope I won't have to replace my 1998 27" tube.:banghead:
I've gotcha beat: We have an early 90's Panasonic 19" with no remote and no cable ... not even bunny ears. We DO have a brand-spankin' new DVD player. It's actually nice not having TV in your house, you get more shat done.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:
That doesn't mean squat. HDCP is an encryption algorhythym. Lots of people have hdmi inputs (my sony wega from 5 years ago does), it doesn't do HDCP.

I'm not talking about your archaic tube tv... I'm talking about my 18 month old Panasonic plaZma monitor here... :rofl:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
N8 said:
I'm not talking about your archaic tube tv... I'm talking about my 18 month old Panasonic plaZma monitor here... :rofl:
You simply don't get electronics do you?

HDCP is literally a few months old. Your metrosexual TV probably does not have it. Simply having hdmi means nothing.

Also, tube wegas will always produce a better picture then a plasma screen. Just so you know.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend said:
Also, tube wegas will always produce a better picture then a plasma screen. Just so you know.
When did you gain the ability to predict the future? You have no idea what''s going to happen with plasma displays in the upcoming years. But currently, you are correct. My 36" Wega still looks amazing. I just wish it didn't weight 300 lbs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
When did you gain the ability to predict the future? You have no idea what''s going to happen with plasma displays in the upcoming years. But currently, you are correct. My 36" Wega still looks amazing. I just wish it didn't weight 300 lbs.
I've always had the ability, but it nly manifests itself when it is truly needed. Like when buying electronics. It shoudl have kicke din when i got my powerbook and 20 days later they upgraded them...it let me down then.

Plasma's are going out of style in favor of the newer LCD/Oled etc technologies. From what I understand, they simply cost way too much to make comparatively. Even that new projected LED stuff looks fantastic, at 1/4 the price. Still can't touch a nice trinitron tube tho.

And the weight is retarded on larger tubes. I have a 43" wega tube (i thnk may be 42 or 44), and I think it weighs about 500 lbs.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm going to have to sell mine dirt cheap in a couple of months because I can't stand to move it again. It's so damn heavy. The TV stand underneath it creaks occasionally and I am worried one of these days it's just going to give up and the TV is going to come crashing down on all my AV gear.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
What is up with the Wega TV's, they do weigh, way too much. I remember trying to move a friends 32" a few years ago and it took two of us and we could barely handle the thing.

EDIT -- WTF is up with my spelling?!?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tenchiro said:
What is up with the Wega TV's, they do weigh, way too much. I remember trying to mve a friend 32" a few years ago and it took two of use and we could barely handle the thing.
It is indeed ridiculous. It is pure tube as well. I had a guy in to tune mine (included when i bought the tv), it is basically empty inside.

Took 4 LARGE moving types to get it into my basement when they delivered it.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:

HDCP is literally a few months old. Your metrosexual TV probably does not have it. Simply having hdmi means nothing.

Thanks.

That means I can get a new one then.

:)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
anyone that spends thousands of dollars on any audio/visual product this day and age is pretty stupid IMO. ****s always changing, compatibility issues are insane and you need a million different things to get the "desired" setup.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
norco-freerider said:
anyone that spends thousands of dollars on any audio/visual product this day and age is pretty stupid IMO. ****s always changing, compatibility issues are insane and you need a million different things to get the "desired" setup.
So getting a nice home theatre setup that works perfectly is stupid because it might change somewhere down the line? :rolleyes:

Don't buy that new downhill bike, in 6 months there is a whole new lineup!

Don't buy that new car, cuz in 5 years from now everything will be battery powered. Oh wait, no it won't. Yes it will. No it won't. Yes it will...

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
N8 said:
Thanks man, but it's moving to the bedroom... ;)
Thanks. that will be perfect for me and your girl to watch the home videos we make while you are away :hot: :redhot:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
dfinn said:
Thanks. that will be perfect for me and your girl to watch the home videos we make while you are away :hot: :redhot:

That's you?!!! :eek:

Your ween* is so tiny.. even on the 50" plazma....

Poor dude.. :(

*ween is a registered trademark of dh_girlie Enterprises LLC

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:

Thanks for being so helpful. :)

What is HDMI Technology and How Does HDCP Work?

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a connection standard that was first developed by Hitachi, Panasonic, RCA, Silicon Image, Sony, and Toshiba in 2002. HDMI is quickly emerging as the connection standard for HDTV in the consumer electronics market.

HDMI is the first and only digital interface that is able to combine uncompressed audio and video over a single cable. Possessing a bandwidth of 5 Gbps, transmissions over HDMI are currently using less than half of that. This leaves plenty of room to expand the technology in the future.

HDMI is fully backwards compatible with DVI, and will supplant it as the interface of choice over the next few years.

DVI and HDMI are fully interchangeable using HDMI-DVI adapters, which are available here. The HDMI specification supports long copper cable lengths up to 15 meters, and even longer lengths are supported with the use of fiber optic technology. Click here to view our entire selection of HDMI cables.

HDMI also supports HDCP. HDCP stands for High Definition Content Protection. It is a specification that was developed by Intel Corporation (with input from Silicon Image) to protect digital entertainment content across both the DVI and HDMI interfaces.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Transcend said:
It is indeed ridiculous. It is pure tube as well. I had a guy in to tune mine (included when i bought the tv), it is basically empty inside.

Took 4 LARGE moving types to get it into my basement when they delivered it.

Our wega is a super nice picture, But it almost wasn't worth it to get it to the second level of our house.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Transcend said:
So getting a nice home theatre setup that works perfectly is stupid because it might change somewhere down the line? :rolleyes:

Don't buy that new downhill bike, in 6 months there is a whole new lineup!

Don't buy that new car, cuz in 5 years from now everything will be battery powered. Oh wait, no it won't. Yes it will. No it won't. Yes it will...

i think you missed my point. theres nothing wrong with getting a nice entertainment setup, i have one myself. thats not what i was refering to. i was refering more to the fact that many people HAVE to have the next big thing, and are willing to pay absurd amounts for something that only causes a hassle, and in my opinion, has little to no advantages.

perhaps i should have been more clear.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
N8 said:

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a connection standard that was first developed by Hitachi, Panasonic, RCA, Silicon Image, Sony, and Toshiba in 2002. HDMI is quickly emerging as the connection standard for HDTV in the consumer electronics market.

HDMI is the first and only digital interface that is able to combine uncompressed audio and video over a single cable. Possessing a bandwidth of 5 Gbps, transmissions over HDMI are currently using less than half of that. This leaves plenty of room to expand the technology in the future.

HDMI is fully backwards compatible with DVI, and will supplant it as the interface of choice over the next few years.

DVI and HDMI are fully interchangeable using HDMI-DVI adapters, which are available here. The HDMI specification supports long copper cable lengths up to 15 meters, and even longer lengths are supported with the use of fiber optic technology. Click here to view our entire selection of HDMI cables.

HDMI also supports HDCP. HDCP stands for High Definition Content Protection. It is a specification that was developed by Intel Corporation (with input from Silicon Image) to protect digital entertainment content across both the DVI and HDMI interfaces.
Again, HDMI SUPPORTS HDCP. This does not mean every television with hdmi has hdcp dude. HDMI is a digital interface, it supports the ABILITY to use hdcp. Analog signals do not.

The standard has only begun to ship in televisions within the last few months. It has not been shipping since 2002. My Wega has HDMI inputs. It does NOT support hdcp. I am willing to bet pretty much every set sold now has hdmi, a very small percentage have hdcp.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
norco-freerider said:
i think you missed my point. theres nothing wrong with getting a nice entertainment setup, i have one myself. thats not what i was refering to. i was refering more to the fact that many people HAVE to have the next big thing, and are willing to pay absurd amounts for something that only causes a hassle, and in my opinion, has little to no advantages.

Gotcha. In that case, I agree. :weee:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
N8 said:

I still don't think you get it.

HDCP transfers over HDMI. Just because you have HDMI doesn't mean that your TV supports HDCP.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
norco-freerider said:

The problem is, that in this case the next big thing is not only going to be a required purchase if you want to watch new DVD's. But you will also be required to replace your otherwise working TV to do so.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tenchiro said:
The problem is, that in this case the next big thing is not only going to be a required purchase if you want to watch new DVD's. But you will also be required to replace your otherwise working TV to do so.
And by 2010 (I think), you will need a new tv as there will be no more terrestrial analog broadcasts.

J

JRB

Tenchiro said:
:stupid: I don't want to spend money on TVs.

J

JRB

Transcend said:
And by 2010 (I think), you will need a new tv as there will be no more terrestrial analog broadcasts.
And people bitch about shimano and proprietary bike parts.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Tenchiro said:

exactly. nothing beats the good old fashioned tube tv/DVD/VCR combo in my opinion.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Transcend said:
Media server, Tivo and a tube tv beats DVD/VCR. Hands down.

most likely, however i was never big into that sort of stuff so i never made the leap to all the new stuff thats come out in the past few years. christ, i didnt get the interet til 2002.:mumble::blah: