Quantcast

Remember all the coin you dropped for your HDTV? Well get ready to do it again.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tenchiro said:
Yeah, every once in a while I have to use the VCR and I am still astounded how bad the quality is.
I abhore VCRs. Mine sits here and blinks a lot. All i use it for now is a cable box to my lcd widescreen (which is HDCP / HDTV compliant btw). :)

I prefer to Dl stuff off of torrent sites then watch it live. IE: Lost in hi def owns.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
No new plaZma for me... :(

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'PlasmaConcepts'

PlasmaConcepts: How may I help you today?

N8: Hi, I would like to know if my 50" Pany Plasma is HDCP capable? I bought about 18 months ago from your company. It's a 7UY

PlasmaConcepts: Do you have the DVI or HDMI input module?

N8: yes.. a DVI blade

PlasmaConcepts: It is HDCP capable.

N8: Cool thanks!

PlasmaConcepts: No problem. FYI HDMI and DVI are the only type inputs effected by the HDCP protocol. It is only an issue with digital inputs because they do not want people copying digital material. But all of Panasonic's HDMI and DVI cards they ever released have been HDCP compliant.

N8: Excellent! Thanks heaps!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
N8 said:
But all of Panasonic's HDMI and DVI cards they ever released have been HDCP compliant.

That's BS, just so you know. HDMI has been around a lot longer then HDCP. Just like how the new ATI video cards were HDCP compliant....only they didn't support hdcp.

"Remember the HDCP fiasco that we were talking about the other day? You know, how ATI and NVIDIA claim their chips are HDCP ready, but since the graphics boards don't support the standard, there's no way you're getting HDCP?"

Ya, same idea.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Transcend said:
That's BS, just so you know. HDMI has been around a lot longer then HDCP. Just like how the new ATI video cards were HDCP compliant....only they didn't support hdcp.
I wonder if they are saying that it will support it...with some kind of add on card like the cable cards they are going to be coming out with.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
dfinn said:
I wonder if they are saying that it will support it...with some kind of add on card like the cable cards they are going to be coming out with.
Ya, that is usually what "compliant" ends up meaning. It does not mean it supports it natively. There is simply no way that all HDMI tvs they ever put out support hdcp. It simply hasn't been around that long.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Joke's gonna be on you. I love people who really do not get simple principles.

Here's a timeline you may understand:

analog tv > HDTV > Digital TV broadcasts > HDMI > > > > HDCP > Now

Notice how HDCP is recent, whereas HDMi isn't? It is not possible for all hdmi Tvs to actually have hdcp. The signal type supports it as it is digital, the television will not have a decoder.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:
Joke's gonna be on you. I love people who really do not get simple principles.

Here's a timeline you may understand:

analog tv > HDTV > Digital TV broadcasts > HDMI > > > > HDCP > Now

Notice how HDCP is recent, whereas HDMi isn't? It is not possible for all hdmi Tvs to actually have hdcp. The signal type supports it as it is digital, the television will not have a decoder.

Meh... a lot of new stuff is backward compatable... if not, who cares? I'll just get another tele... no worries.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So what 23"+ LCD product should I buy that:

1) Isn't ludicrously expensive
2) Will do native 1080P
3) Will do HDCP?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
N8 said:
Meh... a lot of new stuff is backward compatable... if not, who cares? I'll just get another tele... no worries.
bonehead, that would actually be forwards compatible. They would've had to build the HDCP support into your TV before they even knew what HDCP was.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:
"Remember the HDCP fiasco that we were talking about the other day? You know, how ATI and NVIDIA claim their chips are HDCP ready, but since the graphics boards don't support the standard, there's no way you're getting HDCP?"

Ya, same idea.

Some small vindication for you, although ATI has restored the HDCP wording on their site....

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=851

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
dfinn said:
bonehead, that would actually be forwards compatible. They would've had to build the HDCP support into your TV before they even knew what HDCP was.

Easy on the bong there Cheech... new protocols being designed to run on older platforms is backward compatability...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
N8 said:

Hardware can be. You cannot have a decoder chicp in a tv built in 2000 for example for a new standard, when the standard did not exist untill 2005. Well after the tv was built.

Holy **** you are slow. I give up. Not only do you have bad taste in brickwork, but you have the intelligence of said brick.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:
Hardware can be. You cannot have a decoder chicp in a tv built in 2000 for example for a new standard, when the standard did not exist untill 2005. Well after the tv was built.

Holy **** you are slow. I give up. Not only do you have bad taste in brickwork, but you have the intelligence of said brick.

w0w.. i guess you told me then...

:rofl:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:
BTW from your own link...

Unfortunately, HDMI compatibility doesn't mean that the board can output a HDCP-DVI or HDCP-HDMI signal

Well, if it doesn't work, then I'll throw it away and buy something that does.

No problem-oh.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Transcend said:
BTW from your own link...

Unfortunately, HDMI compatibility doesn't mean that the board can output a HDCP-DVI or HDCP-HDMI signal

Good thing mine is spec'd:

From Panasonic's Spec's Site:

• Flexible A/V and IT system configurations - composite, component, RCA, BNC, PC, RGB, SDI, HD-SDI, HDMI, DVI-D w/HDCP, Twisted-Pair Cable, and wireless presentation terminal boards available

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The point isn't if YOUR tv will work or not.

The point is what the person at the shop said. Not all panasonic HDMI Tvs are HDCP compatible. I think they had about as much grasp of this concept as you do.

I love the american economy. Running on guys like n8 - more money then brains.

Edit: Your own specs prove that the salesperson was wrong, good job!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tenchiro said:
I have been thinking one of these bad boys and building out a HTPC.

MMM. I am using a huge server tower I have had forever. Sitting in a closet behind my tv with a hole in the wall for all of the wires and junk.

That case would be mint. Love the touch screen - I hate having to VNC into it to add stuff/fix things.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
dude, you already threw yr money away the first time. didn't you learn?

Shoot... by the time it makes a difference, it will be out with the old and in with the new time... it's just money... sheesh.