Quantcast

Remember him?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
For those of you who followed xc racing in the late 90's and early 2000's - remember Carl Swenson?

I remember seeing him at some of my first Pro races and how could you forget legs like that? Anywho - I was watching the news last night and was surprized to see that he is on the US Olympic team for Nordic season this year!

I wish him the best of luck.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So far we have 2 of the asshat 3 crapping on this bike related thread. Let's see how long it takes the other one to find his way here.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Heidi said:
For those of you who followed xc racing in the late 90's and early 2000's - remember Carl Swenson?

Wow, remember that awesome white SRAM stuff?

:D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I have one of those white 9.0 rear derailleurs lying around that got sucked through a wheel. It's ruined but it's just so cool I can't throw it away :help:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
yours lasted that long? i think i killed 4 in the 1st two seasons.

First one lasted forever, got sucked into the wheel several times and survived. Once it broke I have gone through several each year. That first one must have had some manufacturing defect that made it super strong.:rolleyes:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i kept getting mine warrantied because where they broke you could see voids in the carbon.

that 1st gen wasn't the crispest shifting thing though, and it was funny seeing SRAM tech Ed (big guy) fighting w/ it to try to get it working properly at a 24 hr race SRAM was lending support to.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
narlus said:
or the stars-n-stripes version?

or the original???
My old shop has the stars version still in the box (shifters and mech) as well as a more than one set of canti-integrated xtr (but no mech). They are over in the 'antique' case collecting dust w/ some other interesting pieces...including a never mounted rs1. That place had some neat sh!t if you dug around. Too bad the shop is run by a choad.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Is this the point at which the thread turns into some giant sucking black whole and pulls all the other threads into it and then starts pulling in other forums until Ridemonkey implodes? :D
In the world according to Garp, or echo, or whoever, I am sure it does. I have single handedly led to the demise of RM as it is, with a trio, I am sure we have begun the RM Apocolypse. :think:

J

JRB

Echo said:
Actually I wasn't including you... but it's funny that you included yourself :D
Drats - it must be DRB or N8, but that would make a quartet or a quintet(sp). I'll be glad to join in.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
or the stars-n-stripes version?

or the original??? i had a few of these:

The 9.0's were kinda weak, the 9.0sl's lasted alot longer.

For a derailleur anyway.

GO SINGLE SPEED!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
splat said:
whats wrong with white Sram stuff ?
White components are just so....80's.
:blah:

Remember the Shimano pearly white and pastel stuff?

Yikes.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Not just that. Your seat is going to explode off the back of that 1-bolt post, I promise you. Its just a matter of time before some serious sack damage.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
good point. at least upgrade to a two bolt post if you dont' want a longer top tube frame (or offset post, but that won't really get you the distance you seem to require).