Quantcast

Remember that time I installed an external bearing BB without facing?

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
DRB said:
Who the f' are you and why are you bringing relevance and useful information here? Are you some sort of spy?
Thanks?

Sorry. I was just procrastinating going to work and got side tracked by metal talk.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
loco said:
RF, FSA, and Truvativ all use plastic spacers. They certainly can be as inconsistent as paint, so it confuses me a little.
Two things: I'm glad I bought XT cranks for this build since they have aluminum spacers; and plastics in this application if they're made correctly out of the right kind of plastic etc, can be a lot better than paint. For instance, a glass filled olefin or PEEK will not have 'runs drips and errors'. It's all happening on a fairly micro level but the cleaner and straighter/parallel you can make those surfaces, the less headaches one will have on install, bearing life and removal.
I think we've seen how it can be pretty subjective so in your case, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

loco said:
I see how the alignment can get whacky though. I don't know what frame works with mtn BBs with a spacer on the drive side. It took me 0 seconds to see that they needed the spacers on the non-drive side.
Took me closer to a minute on this build but good to know. Someone needs to tell Shimano that so they can change their install instructions.

J

JRB

Qman said:
Took me closer to a minute on this build but good to know. Someone needs to tell Shimano that so they can change their install instructions.
All mfgs have the same rec on the docs.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
Well, that was a bad idea.:rofl:

Bearings are chirping already and Ive maybe done 10 rides on the things. :mumble:

So I guess that settles that argument once and for all. It IS necessary. Going to get some raceface bearings this time around and have the BB faced, for sure.:rolleyes:

Face and chase is my mantra.

I face the BB and HT always, and most of the time I'll go ahead and chase the BB threads if they seem like they need it or not. They almost always do.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Qman said:
It's a bit harder on cutters than bare aluminum or paint but it's not very thick and not a huge issue in the long run. Especially with this tool:
http://www.chrisking.com/tools/tls_cutting.html
:stupid:

My welding teacher explained that no one ever really sees bare aluminum - that's how fast it oxidizes. All aluminum has a layer of aluminum oxide, a "skin" if you will. Anodizing is a deeper and harder layer of this. Anytime you go to face or chase an aluminum frame you are cutting into the oxide skin. Ano finishing means you need to cut a little more.

Facing a frame (head tube and BB) ensures that the bearing surfaces run as close to parrallel as possible. This is beneficial whether your running a $100 part or a $10 part. It doesn't matter if it's Shimano or King or Sunrace or Fisher Price.

If you don't prep the frame correctly you are less of a man.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
loco said:
Removing paint and metal to make a perfectly flat interface.
Just everyone is clear, it is more than that. Yes you are making a "perfectly" flat surface on each side of the shell but (just as important) you are also making sure that both sides of cup are "perfectly" lined up and parallel. The idea is to make sure that each cup is sitting flush but also that each are correctly aligned with the other so that when you shove an axle in there you're not putting some weird side load or twist on the bearings. It's for headsets too.

It seems to me that facing is more needed with external bearings than with ISIS or square taper cartridge BBs. In a cartridge BB, the actual bearings will always be aligned because they are contained in the axle/cartridge assembly and the whole thing sits in a separate cup. I have a hard time believing that slightly less than perfect alignment will have much impact on those. With external bearings, however, good alignment (and therefore facing) seems more needed. Right now I still don't do it unless I find a thread issue, but maybe I will start.

But early failures of the new style BBs can also easily be caused by overtightening the nut that side loads the non-drive crank arm.

Edit: Dang, H8R beat me to some of this...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
loco said:
echo - you immediately discounted my comments, contrary to BS's, just because it was me. If you didn't notice your condescending, you certainly might not notice nice. Whatever....
Go back and read genius. All I did was ask what frame you were referring to, which was a completely valid question and not condescending at all. Condescending started with "is the Bullit not a high end frame?".

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
loco said:
All mfgs have the same rec on the docs.
They all recommend putting it on the drive side?
Strange that the mfgs are the only ones that haven't figured it out.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
H8R said:
:stupid:

My welding teacher explained that no one ever really sees bare aluminum - that's how fast it oxidizes. All aluminum has a layer of aluminum oxide, a "skin" if you will. Anodizing is a deeper and harder layer of this. Anytime you go to face or chase an aluminum frame you are cutting into the oxide skin. Ano finishing means you need to cut a little more.

Facing a frame (head tube and BB) ensures that the bearing surfaces run as close to parrallel as possible. This is beneficial whether your running a $100 part or a $10 part. It doesn't matter if it's Shimano or King or Sunrace or Fisher Price.

If you don't prep the frame correctly you are less of a man.
word up.
I would think that the fraction of a second that an end mill cuts into a block of aluminum could be considered seeing bare aluminum but yes, it does oxidize fast.
We could actually see it happening like a foggy mirror in a steamy bathroom when we were polishing this:

Applying automotive wax immediately after buffing off the Flitz left it good enough to appear unoxidized for a while.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Qman said:
We could actually see it happening like a foggy mirror in a steamy bathroom when we were polishing this:

WTF is that? Is it a store display?

Welding aluminum is crazy, you can see the skin form directly behind the weld bead. If you haven't prepped it correctly to remove the oxidide layer, (sanding, chemical prep, etc) it just f*cks with you.

Bare aluminum has a melting point of 1220 degrees - aluminum oxide has a melting point of 3632 degrees. Tough stuff.

J

JRB

Echo said:
Go back and read genius. All I did was ask what frame you were referring to, which was a completely valid question and not condescending at all. Condescending started with "is the Bullit not a high end frame?".
My question about the Bullit was a valid question as well. I wasn't trying to insinuate anything by asking. I guess part of our issue lies within interpretation.

I just tried to solve my problem with you, but it won't let me.

Sorry Echo is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

I personally got tired of you being a dick to me a long time ago. Apparently I offended you by posting stupid things, so you have felt the need to berate me. Whatever. Why don't you actually grow up like we agreed to do in PMs a while back. I kind of thought I was keeping up to my end of the deal. Feel free to add yourself to my ignore list if you can.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
loco said:
I just tried to solve my problem with you, but it won't let me.

Sorry Echo is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

I personally got tired of you being a dick to me a long time ago. Apparently I offended you by posting stupid things, so you have felt the need to berate me. Whatever. Why don't you actually grow up like we agreed to do in PMs a while back. I kind of thought I was keeping up to my end of the deal. Feel free to add yourself to my ignore list if you can.
The funny thing is I've gone out of my way to NOT be a dick to you. Other than this thread, I'd be interested in you showing where I even so much as acknowledged your existence, except for a week ago when you misinterpreted something I said. If "keeping my end of the deal" means I'm not allowed to post my opinions in bike related threads, or disagree with your point of view, or ask you to clarify something, then you're in for a lot of disappointment. And you still have yet to acknowledge that YOU were the one with the condescending tone in this thread. I'm telling mom.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DRB said:
<thinking to self: How can I exercebate this situation?>
Probably not necessary. Now that I know loco will hate me and whine about me no matter what I say or do, I'm going to stop letting his asinine comments and inaccurate statements slide like I have been for the past 6 months or so. This will (whatever that word was) naturally.

J

JRB

Echo said:
The funny thing is I've gone out of my way to NOT be a dick to you. Other than this thread, I'd be interested in you showing where I even so much as acknowledged your existence, except for a week ago when you misinterpreted something I said. If "keeping my end of the deal" means I'm not allowed to post my opinions in bike related threads, or disagree with your point of view, or ask you to clarify something, then you're in for a lot of disappointment. And you still have yet to acknowledge that YOU were the one with the condescending tone in this thread. I'm telling mom.

I am telling you - I did not mean to be condescending about the frame. Sorry. I don't recall even disagreeing, or noticing if you were here or not, until you posted the very tasteless thread about the deaf woman. If that is what you refer to, yes - I thought that was poor form. I guess I have been doing ok, even without the ignore function. What you are missing - I was asking questions, not to argue, but to learn, which I did. You act like I was saying they didn't know what they were saying. I was asking for clarification. I'm done. It's not worth discussing. I have witty comments to make in other threads.

J

JRB

Echo said:
Probably not necessary. Now that I know loco will hate me and whine about me no matter what I say or do, I'm going to stop letting his asinine comments and inaccurate statements slide like I have been for the past 6 months or so. This will (whatever that word was) naturally.
Now my comments are inaccurate??? How so???

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
loco said:
don't recall even disagreeing, or noticing if you were here or not, until you posted the very tasteless thread about the deaf woman. If that is what you refer to, yes - I thought that was poor form.
So that thread's deletion wasn't good enough for you?

J

JRB

Echo said:
So that thread's deletion wasn't good enough for you?
Yes - it served its purpose. (thanks echo - my keys haven't been the same since I bashed them off while screaming in German)

OG - thanks for making this about me.

TJ - what the heck are you talking about???

I guess the big thing is, I get bashed for non-bike content, so when I actually had bike related questions and comments, I specifically was engaged. This confuses me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
loco no sense of humor? interesting
Loco has a sense of humor, it is just that he in menopausal right now and a little sensitive. I am sure he will now be outraged in defense of menopausal women everywhere.

J

JRB

Echo said:
Actually there shouldn't be an apostrophe there.
Thanks - I'll look forward to you correcting me. I'll relish in the fact that people will bitch on you for correcting people's ignorance, and maybe I can take a break.

J

JRB

Westy said:
Loco has a sense of humor, it is just that he in menopausal right now and a little sensitive. I am sure he will now be outraged in defense of menopausal women everywhere.
I do think it's unfair that they have to wear those irritating (I can only assume they are irritating) pads. It is an outrage. I would rather you be killed in the face by a wolverine than for them to have to endure such annoyance.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
loco said:
Yes - it served its purpose. (thanks echo - my keys haven't been the same since I bashed them off while screaming in German)

OG - thanks for making this about me.

TJ - what the heck are you talking about???

I guess the big thing is, I get bashed for non-bike content, so when I actually had bike related questions and comments, I specifically was engaged. This confuses me.
hell i dunno. i just thought it would be fun to join the loco bashing bandwagon:love:

J

JRB

lovebunny said:
hell i dunno. i just thought it would be fun to join the loco bashing bandwagon:love:
Good - I didn't want to have to pay Orven and Heather $100 to kick you in the nuts.

J

JRB

Echo said:
It's more fun if he hates you. He knows that if he gives you any crap, Shyrmp won't be his friend, so he has to play nice.
I'm going to make you my favorite person. :love: