Quantcast

Remember the "heroic" double amputee that climbed everest?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
wait a second, you're making the point that they SHOULD HAVE tried!

Remember the guy who was left for dead at 27,000(?) feet on some ledge? Remember how he stumbled into base camp 4 on his own hours later? Remember how a storm blew in that night, wrecking the camp and the two other guys left him for dead to run down to camp 3 only to have the same guy stumble on in later that day?
Beck Wethers.
LordOpie said:
Anyone who's alive should be given a chance. The guy died from a lack of oxygen, give him a canister and see how he does.

Did y'all see the IMAX movie? They couldn't get cameras to the top cuz they stopped to give some of their oxygen to a guy. They didn't complete their mission, but they saved a life.

Don't tell me not to try to save someone's life!

That said, he tried to climb solo one of the hardest peaks on the planet? Fvck 'im.
I subscribe to the theory that if you can't climb a mountain without supplementary oxygen then you shouldn't be up there. The whole commercialization of Everest is distasteful in my view and the practice of climbing upwards past people who are dying is immoral.

I wasn't there and I have no idea if they could have saved him but the Beck Wethers story proves that no one can easily tell. If they gave him oxygen then they did try a little at least.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Reinhold and Gunther Messner

On July 17, 2005, as a freakish heat wave bore down on Pakistan's western Himalayas, the 26,660-foot peak Nanga Parbat gave up its dead, laying them out on thawing patches of the Diamir Glacier, a huge expanse of shifting ice more than 12,000 feet below the summit. Over the decades, the glacier had become a catchall graveyard for at least a dozen climbers who'd died on the Diamir Face, the treacherous western wall of the world's ninth-tallest mountain.

At first the guides—Abdul Mateen, Faz al-Haq, and Abdul Manan—thought the body could have belonged to any number of men lost on the western flank in recent years. But when the talus yielded a leather boot entombing a wool-socked foot, they knew they'd probably stumbled across an older tragedy, since plastic footwear had replaced leather after 1980.

This, they realized, could be the body of Günther Messner.

Günther, the younger brother of Reinhold Messner—the 61-year-old Tyrolean climber widely considered history's greatest mountaineer—was by far the most famous MIA on Nanga Parbat, and, a few years back, Reinhold had specifically asked the Pakistani guides to search for him. Günther, 24, had gone missing in June 1970, when he and Reinhold—then 25—made a daring first ascent on the south flank of the peak via the 14,763-foot Rupal Face, one of the tallest alpine walls on earth.

The feat was a stunning success for two young climbers on their first Himalayan expedition, but only Reinhold lived to tell about it. As he described the tragedy later, Günther was stricken with altitude sickness soon after they summited, on June 27, and was too debilitated to backtrack down the sheer ascent route, particularly since they had no rope. After a sub-zero bivouac, followed the next day by a much debated episode in which Reinhold shouted to other climbers at a distance but somehow didn't or couldn't convey Günther's plight, the brothers apparently decided that their only chance of survival was to pick their way down the unfamiliar but less steep Diamir Face. If they succeeded, they would score another coup in the process: the first complete traverse of Nanga Parbat.

According to Reinhold, near the end of the descent he'd pushed an hour or so ahead of his brother, believing the worst was behind them. Then, out of view—in an area toward the bottom of the Diamir Face—Günther disappeared in what Reinhold assumed was an avalanche. He could find no trace of Günther. Grief-stricken, Reinhold staggered on for the next two days before finally making it to safety in the Diamir Valley.

In the aftermath, the damage to Reinhold's body and soul was immense. He lost seven toes and several fingertips to frostbite. Worse, he'd lost his beloved brother and the climbing partner he once called his life's "accomplice."

"Günther!" he'd shouted endlessly as he searched for him on Nanga Parbat. "It was the anguished cry of a lost animal," he wrote later. "I had suffered. I was badly frostbitten. I had died."

Within months of the trip's end, tensions between Messner and expedition leader Karl Maria Herrligkoffer, fed by their conflicting versions of what had really happened to Günther, erupted into a series of lawsuits. Messner accused Herrligkoffer of manslaughter and "neglected aid" in his brother's death, and Herrligkoffer accused Messner of libel. The suits' outcomes didn't resolve the underlying acrimony, and, after a period of surface calm, the fracas restarted in 2001 when Messner harshly criticized his former teammates in public, saying they hadn't bothered to search for the missing brothers and, in effect, had failed to render assistance during an emergency. For a mountaineer, whose loyalty to his comrades is supposed to be paramount, it was the worst insult imaginable.

In subsequent months, Messner advanced his attack both in the German media and in The Naked Mountain, his 2002 book about Nanga Parbat, in which he employs a dreamy, semi-hallucinatory style to describe his bewilderment and anguish when his teammates did not come to the rescue.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Some people know the right thing to do and some people have the courage to do it. Some people don't.

Slagging on Hillary for having an opinion, especially by people who have never been there, is laughable.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I dunno. Can't you just more or less buy a ticket to the top of Everest now? Get yerself hauled up the mountain by a team of real moutaineers? I figure, once you've decided to climb Everest, you've more or less decided that death is an option. Would I risk my life to help out a guy who made a stupid call to begin with? Probably. Once I started feeling like it wasn't going to work out, I'd probably cut the rope, take the oxygen, whatever. At least I'd have tried to help. Easier to live with than not getting to the top of a mountain.

And yeah, summer would have been a way better time to go. Guess that guy decided to go in the off season. Makes it a little cheaper, and less noisy tourists to deal with...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DRB said:
Slagging on Hillary for having an opinion, especially by people who have never been there, is laughable.
Good point, however here is an excerpt from the linked story:
They discussed how they could try to save Sharp, sharing their oxygen with him and radioing expedition manager Russell Bryce, at base camp.

"Russ said, 'Look, you can't do anything. He's effectively dead,' " Inglis said. "It was a very hard decision. We couldn't do anything. He had no oxygen, no proper gloves, things like that.

"To get David down would have taken 20 Sherpas, and he would have died on the way down."

But a New Zealand scientist who has studied oxygen use on Mt Everest told Otago's Daily Times he believed Mr Sharp could have been saved.
So basically, the people who were there and saw the situation firsthand, made an informed decision.

And then some asshat scientist, who as far as we know has never climbed anything but a flight of stairs into his office building, suddenly thinks he knows better?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Echo said:
Good point, however here is an excerpt from the linked story:

So basically, the people who were there and saw the situation firsthand, made an informed decision.

And then some asshat scientist, who as far as we know has never climbed anything but a flight of stairs into his office building, suddenly thinks he knows better?
There is also the question of how much additional risk would be entailed to those bringing down a man who almost certainly would die.

It's certainly not as bad as some of the incidents from 1996 where dying men were completely ignored.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Saving a life at the risk of your own is a personal decision. I wouldnt take a bullet for just anybody. Yeah, you "might" live with a gunshot wound, but your odds arent so good compared to if you hadnt been shot at all.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, you "might" live with a gunshot wound, but your odds arent so good compared to if you hadnt been shot at all.
Get outta town. Sage words right there people. If only Solomon had had such wisdom.;):rofl:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
valve bouncer said:
Get outta town. Sage words right there people. If only Solomon had had such wisdom.;):rofl:
Did you fail to apply the logic to the topic at hand, or are you just being an ass?

Actually, why would I even ask that....I know the answer.:rolleyes:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BurlyShirley said:
Did you fail to apply the logic to the topic at hand, or are you just being an ass?

Actually, why would I even ask that....I know the answer.:rolleyes:
Go have a shower or something. That soil borne vaginitis seems to be particularly irritating you today.:rolleyes:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
valve bouncer said:
Go have a shower or something. That soil borne vaginitis seems to be particularly irritating you today.:rolleyes:
I wasnt actually irritated. I meant to put one of these:) Or something manlier and less gay.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:

This is like the article posted awarding a "Darwin award" to a random motorcycle accident. People thinking they can make informed judgements on a situation they know nothing about.

The riding analogy is inaccurate and inappropriate. Let's add something to it to make it appropriate: you see a fellow rider who has been shot in the head lying on the side of the trail. He looks like he's probably going to die, no matter what you do, and getting him to a hospital requires you riding through a live mine field. Do you chance dying to save someone who will likely be dead anyway? This isn't a guy with a broken leg who you help limp to the trailhead and call an ambulance.

Quotes like these are even better:
"It was wrong, if there was a man suffering altitude problems and huddled under a rock, just to lift your hat, say 'Good morning,' and pass on by.
:rolleyes: I'm sure that's what they did.

Everyone has to play the bleeding heart and say that a climber's life is the responsibility of other climbers, but without having been there, in that situation, at that time, nobody knows if the right decision was made.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I thought some more about this last night.

Mountain climbing is notorious for difficult decisions which at sea level might seem unnecessarily harsh.

I am sure the climber who died would not have wanted any "heroic" measures taken. I would hope anyone climbing Everest would have the same attitude.

I should point one thing though. Unfortunately for all the climbers who ascended Everest, the issue of money will cloud all their intentions. Was it more important to make to the top than to make even a futile attempt to save another's life?

Did these guides leave this dying climber because of fiscal responsibility to their clients?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
binary visions said:
Everyone has to play the bleeding heart and say that a climber's life is the responsibility of other climbers, but without having been there, in that situation, at that time, nobody knows if the right decision was made.
Then discussion of this should simply end.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
DRB said:
Some people know the right thing to do and some people have the courage to do it. Some people don't.
And I find it very difficult to believe that out of every single climber that walked past this guy, NONE of them had the courage to do it. I think it's much more likely that he was either beyond help, or it wasn't actually clear that he needed help until it was too late.

Like I said I've spent a lot of time with climbers and alpinists (though I haven't climbed seriously in years, myself), and can say that very few of them lack the morals or the courage to do the right thing. You don't pick a climbing partner that is anything but a person with whom you trust your life in the most literal sense, and you don't get to be a partner unless you are worthy of that trust. It's a pretty self-regulating system.

Everest is a bit different because it's become such a circus, but like I said, I find it hard to believe that EVERY climber that day was lacking.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Echo said:

Correct.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Echo said:

Dr Phil Ainslie in case you were wondering is an experienced high altitude climber and has studied hypoxia (effects of the lack of oxygen on human physiology) to a degree that makes him one of the worlds best experts on the subject......I'd say that he knows his **** better than you Echo.
Please explain why your such an expert on this situation?
Have you ever been up there?
Have you ever studied hypoxia?
This guy has done both!:clue:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DaveW said:
Please explain why your such an expert on this situation?
I never said I was an expert.

I said the people who were there shared their oxygen with the guy and radioed for help, and concluded that the guy couldn't be saved.

So for you, or me, or Dr. Expert Whatever to pretend to know anything about the situation is stupid.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Echo said:
I never said I was an expert.

I said the people who were there shared their oxygen with the guy and radioed for help, and concluded that the guy couldn't be saved.

So for you, or me, or Dr. Expert Whatever to pretend to know anything about the situation is stupid.
NO what you said was people who were there made an Informed decision......it was an ill informed decision acording to someone with more experience in that area of expertise.
your arguement is akin to claiming that historans and Archaeologists, cannot get anything right as they were not there.

Yep well to me the MEDICAL EXPERT with high altitude experience say's they concluded wrong, and I'd consider his opinion on medical situation to be worth hearing and not instantly dismiss as an "asshat who knows nothing and never done more than climb stairs" as you originaly claimed him to be.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Changleen said:
Did you know that one of Mark's prosthetics snapped too during the climb?

good thing they were prosthetics!!!!
had they been the real deal, that would have been the end of the trip.
and that would have sucked so much.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
ALEXIS_DH said:
good thing they were prosthetics!!!!
had they been the real deal, that would have been the end of the trip.
and that would have sucked so much.

How do you know?
Were you there?
No?.... well then according to Echo's special theory of alpine relativity your now an asshat! :rofl: :rolleyes:

;) kidding :love:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DaveW said:
NO what you said was people who were there made an Informed decision......it was an ill informed decision acording to someone with more experience in that area of expertise.
your arguement is akin to claiming that historans and Archaeologists, cannot get anything right as they were not there.

Yep well to me the MEDICAL EXPERT with high altitude experience say's they concluded wrong, and I'd consider his opinion on medical situation to be worth hearing and not instantly dismiss as an "asshat who knows nothing and never done more than climb stairs" as you originaly claimed him to be.
Has your scientist hero summited Everest? Either way you chose to believe the scientist and I chose to believe the actual climbers who were there. Neither of us have been there so it's silly for us to argue. I was stating my opinion based on the story and the information I have about Everest from books and movies. Overall my opinion hasn't changed, but I'm glad you pointed out that the scientist was indeed a climber and not just some asshat. I guess living under the rule of the US government, I'm used to asshats spouting off about things they know nothing about :(

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Echo said:
Anyone who is dissing them without knowing the whole story should read "Into Thin Air". Climbing Everest is dangerous business, when you go for that summit you better have your affairs in order. Because a LOT of people die up there. Generally by the time you're a couple hundred feet from the summit, it's everything you can do to put one foot in front of the other, let alone make coherent decisions. It's not like there's a trail there to carry someone down either, and those sherpas aren't carrying stretchers or medical equipment. You're either in snow up to your ass, or hoping your crampons stick to the ice face you're trying to hang onto in a blizzard with 80mph winds. You pass countless corpses on your way to the summit... there's a reason for that.
:stupid: I read the book too and think you're right on point. JMHO.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Interestingly, in the news today an Australian climber was reported to have died near the top and was left there by the Sherpas (who had toiled for 9 hours to bring him down). Later in the day another group came across him and found he was actually alive and a rescue is now under way.
Edit- link to story still unfolding- www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200605/s1648773.htm

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DaveW said:
Archeologists aren't trying to determine if Cro-magnon man's moral judgements were correct :rolleyes:

Historians are forced to guess because of a lack of sufficient firsthand information. It'd make their lives a heck of a lot easier if they had some firsthand info... you know, maybe some people who were there and actually had to make a decision at the time?

Here, we have first hand information. Thirty guys passed this dude by and said he couldn't be helped. I'll believe that any day over a guy in an office ten thousand miles away who is guessing as to what the poor dude's health was like.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Any more comments about leaving a man behind?
Australian climber reported dead on Everest may be alive

Fri May 26, 8:07 AM ET

A well-known Australian climber given up for dead near the summit of Mount Everest may still be alive and rescuers are trying to reach him.

Lincoln Hall, 50, and one of Australia's leading climbers, was reported by his Russian expedition leader earlier Friday to have died Thursday while descending from the summit of the world's highest mountain.

Friends in Australia mourned Hall after Russian Alexander Abramov declared on Everest news websites that the climber had died of acute altitude sickness shortly after conquering the summit for the first time.

But that report was thrown into doubt Friday when another Australian Everest summiteer, Duncan Chessell, said Hall had been found alive by another climber and a rescue operation was underway.

Chessell said he had been told by radio that Hall was being brought down the mountain by Russian-led team of sherpas.

"If he's alive he's high up and in serious danger," Chessell told the Australian news agency AAP from his home in Adelaide.

Earlier Friday, the leader of the expedition that included Hall, Alexander Abramov, said in a statement posted on the website www.mounteverest.net that Hall collapsed after losing coordination about 150 meters below the Everest summit and died as sherpas tried to help him down the mountain.

Abramov said another member of the same team, Thomas Weber from Germany, who was visually impaired, stopped 50 meters (165 feet) short of the summit after his sight failed and also died during the descent.

But according to Chessell, the sherpas trying to help Hall down the mountain ran out of oxygen and were ordered by their leader to leave him and save themselves.

Another climber, named as Dan Mazur, later found Hall still alive and gave him hot tea and oxygen.

"Alex Abramov immediately dispatched a team of 12 Sherpas to re-ascend with fresh oxygen and stretcher," Chessell said.

Hall is one of Australia's most well-known mountaineers and adventure authors.

He was a member of the first Australian team to climb Mount Everest in 1984, but that bid stopped short of the summit.

He also served as a director of the Australian Himalayan Foundation and was the author of several books, including "First Ascent" and "The Life of an Explorer", and numerous magazine articles.

His last assault on Everest was part of an expedition that included 15-year-old Sydney boy Christopher Harris, who was trying to become the youngest person to climb the mountain.

Harris turned back short of the summit because of respiratory problems.