Quantcast

Remember the worst case scenario in Iraq?

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
I will admit, that even in the three months I have seen some big improvements in the security situation. But you are right Reactor, we may have made gains, but it means nothing if we can’t retain them.

MikeD, I actually count my military time in terms of my lost personal freedom!! 4 years at the Academy, 5 years active (two tours over here), and3 years IRR.

I have a lot of digging to do into the FBI. But I have been told by people in it, that for certain jobs, my commission will be revoked for “conflict of interest” reasons.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, it's called being in a "Key Federal Position." FBI used to grant it; I think it may have become optional or even have been abolished...let me go ask one of 'em...

According to FBI agents I just talked to, they no longer consider SAs to be key federal positions, and you're still liable for call-up; this is relatively new. In certain cases, they have prevented specific people from being called up for specific reasons/projects, but that's been narrowly used.

Sorry, bud...

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
4. Hundreds of thousands of iraqi's have died as a direct result of the invasion. 2,000,000+ are "internally displaced" and 2,000,000 are refugees in other countries, including the best and brightest iraqi's. That's 20% of the country's population.
It was on the radio a few days ago that Sweden is handeling more Iraqi refugees than the whole of the rest of the EU (forgot the numbers), and that number is supposed to grow. Why don't the UK/US take responsibility for the mess they've caused and give those refugees new homes, jobs, education and lifes?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
According to FBI agents I just talked to, they no longer consider SAs to be key federal positions, and you're still liable for call-up; this is relatively new. In certain cases, they have prevented specific people from being called up for specific reasons/projects, but that's been narrowly used.

Sorry, bud...
We're that hard up for cannon fodder? How I long for the Halcyon days of the Vietnam war when "So many minority youths had volunteered ... that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like myself."

Seriously though, I'm having trouble figuring out how pulling people from the FBI to send them to Iraq helps keep us safer.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
We're that hard up for cannon fodder? How I long for the Halcyon days of the Vietnam war when "So many minority youths had volunteered ... that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like myself."

Seriously though, I'm having trouble figuring out how pulling people from the FBI to send them to Iraq helps keep us safer.
Seriously, This administration doesn't base policy on logic, so don't even try to figure it out.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Damn... three years of living in fear. Thanks for the tip MikeD!

Silver, you have no idea how short handed we are. Units leave here after their 15 months with a firm date when they know they will be coming back! That date is as short as 11 months. We are cutting our nose to spite our face.

Hallow Army is the next stop for this train.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
It was on the radio a few days ago that Sweden is handeling more Iraqi refugees than the whole of the rest of the EU (forgot the numbers), and that number is supposed to grow. Why don't the UK/US take responsibility for the mess they've caused and give those refugees new homes, jobs, education and lifes?
Too busy handing them out to the refugees from south O' the Border that we can't secure.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Silver, you have no idea how short handed we are. Units leave here after their 15 months with a firm date when they know they will be coming back! That date is as short as 11 months. We are cutting our nose to spite our face.
Do you mean to tell me that the President and all those right wing pundits are lying when they say the military is fine? I keep hearing stuff about how recruitment numbers are up and that people are re-enlisting in droves because they like the Mideast vacations from their real jobs so much. You're obviously not getting the memo.

I wouldn't worry about heading back to Iraq anyways...you'll probably be in Iran by then.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
:rofl:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
It was on the radio a few days ago that Sweden is handling more Iraqi refugees than the whole of the rest of the EU (forgot the numbers), and that number is supposed to grow. Why don't the UK/US take responsibility for the mess they've caused and give those refugees new homes, jobs, education and lives?
Actually, I think we should be taking in a lot more than we are. We created the problem, we should fix it, and we should be doing a hell of a lot more to help the innocent bystanders being hurt by our incompetence.

Iraq is pretty backward, they probably have plenty of COBOL programmers who are looking for jobs...We could bring them over to the US and In-source, instead of sending stuff to India.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Silver, yes I am afraid that is so.

I can tell you that the fact that Army has not come apart by now, is a testament to our leaders and especially our Soldiers. We are over stretched, over deployed (some units, like 2/10 MNT have spent 40 months here), and over worked. This isn’t complaining, because I guarantee you we will get whatever mission assigned to us done.

We are trying to increase our numbers by 60,000 Soldiers, to do this we have lowered our admission standards (with the obvious results) and are giving bonuses away like candy. We are especially short on CPTs and MAJs, with a dearth of over 6,000. They offered me $35,000 or free grad school to stay in another three years. I said no thank you. The real problem will be when/if they cut our funding. We have procured so much “crap” for this war, its ridiculous. Let me tell you that there is NO shortage of Up-armored HMMWVs here. People use them to go to the PX! But once this thing settles down, our budget will as well. And when we lose the money, how will we not only maintain a bigger Army, but also all the stuff we have? Beats me.

As for the Marines, Navy and Air Force. They are hurting too. I know the Marines are as over stretched as we are, using amphibious landing vehicles to patrol the deserts of Anbar. The Air Force had to ground its entire F-15 fleet because one broke apart in flight, a testament to how old they are. They even went so far as to admit that our F-15s and F-16s could not operate over Venezuela or Iran because of the SAM threat, (not until we knock them back a little bit with B-2s, F-22s and cruise missiles) We don’t have enough C-17s or C-5’s to do the job, so that is why we have Russian cargo planes brining supplies in. Don’t even get me started on the Navy.

So yeah, I’m thinking our military is in the hurt box, MUCH MORE than anyone will tell you. A lot of people will say that’s a great thing, but remember that we are deployed to over 165 countries and the majority of those places we are doing humanitarian work. While Iraq and A-stan get the press, there are and have been guys out there giving US aide to needy people all around the world. If our funding needs to be used to maintain and reset our forces, then well, something’s got to go. A lot of people depend on the aid we deliver.

Or we could just borrow more money from China. That’s always good.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ok, i think i found (for me anyway), the be-all-end-all cliff's notes guide on the last few years: Iraq: Positive Signs
The latest reports concerning the war in Iraq suggest the situation is looking up for the United States. First, U.S. military and Iraqi civilian casualties continue to fall. Second, there are confirmed reports that Sunni insurgents controlled by local leaders have turned on al Qaeda militants, particularly those from outside the country. Third, the head of U.S. Central Command, in an interview with the Financial Times, implied that an attack against Iran is a distant possibility.

It is tempting to say the United States has turned the corner on the war. The temptation might not be misplaced, but after many disappointments since 2003, it is prudent to be cautious in declaring turning points -- and it is equally prudent not to confuse a turning point with a victory. That said, given expectations that the United States would be unable to limit violence in Iraq, and that Sunni insurgents would remain implacable -- not to mention the broad expectation of a U.S. attack against Iran -- these three points indicate a reversal -- and must be taken seriously.
and on & on for a few pages. if you have 10 minutes to read it (15 if you're a mouth-breathing frother), hop to it.

as for me, got my fanta in my right hand; turning japanese

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I read a headline about the Army moving out of an area in Iraq. I didn't have a chance to read the article and now I can't find it. That would be the real good new, VietNamification. Sorry Iraqification.

MarinR00

Monkey
Aug 27, 2007
Iraq
Trying to compare Iraq to Vietnam is a nonsensical argument. It is made my people who have little background in history and see something that people can easily relate to, and see how “bad” Iraq was, because Vietnam was “bad.” The two have very few similarities. From the strategic situation to the fact that when I come home, I’m not spit on. Though “mob rules” so it is an effective argument in some ways.

Iraq is far more complicated, far more dangerous, has far greater consequences and the strategic situation if far more dire than in Vietnam.

But don't worry, we are "Mission Accomplished" Oh wait a sec........

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I thik the comparisons to Vietnam come from the fact that Iraq seems like a war that can be never lost militarily but can never be won politically.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
they're not going to wait until they have a mushroom cloud in instanbul (not constantinople).

great, now i have that song in my head

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I say give the Kurds more of the Iraqi land in exchange for their agreement to stop trying to take Turkish land. Give the Kurds their own country, a slice of Iraq. It's not like we can control and grow Iraq properly anyways.