Quantcast

Remember this guy ?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yep he road for Mapei last year but Georgio Squinzy, the team owner called it quits because he was fed up with the doping situation. I guess he thought bike racing no longer had the image he wanted to be associated with his company.

Aparently Martinez will still be doing soem WC Mtb events this year and it looks like he'll return full time to off road next year.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by oldfart

Aparently Martinez will still be doing soem WC Mtb events this year and it looks like he'll return full time to off road next year.
:eek: where did you hear that ? I think it was his Dad who wanted him to be a roadie more than anything else, and quite frankly he hasn't made quite a splash as Cadel Evans, who looks set to stay on the road. Remember Mig might have the worlds as a junior with Cadel second, but cadel also got silver at junior road worlds the same year and only went to MTB, cos at that stage he could earn more on the dirt...not any more though.

It would be great to see Mig back in MTB and what with an Olympic title to defend next year ????

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by rockracing
:eek: where did you hear that ? I think it was his Dad who wanted him to be a roadie more than anything else, and quite frankly he hasn't made quite a splash as Cadel Evans, who looks set to stay on the road. Remember Mig might have the worlds as a junior with Cadel second, but cadel also got silver at junior road worlds the same year and only went to MTB, cos at that stage he could earn more on the dirt...not any more though.

It would be great to see Mig back in MTB and what with an Olympic title to defend next year ????
i think it would be, he's always been one of my favorite racers. he lost a lot of his upper body msucle mass (yes yes i know he didn't have much to begin w/. but whatever) for road racin b/c you don't need it for the road so we'll see how well he can hold the bike up through the technical shiet.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
He was interviewed in I think it was Procycling or Cyclesport. Those are awesome road racing magazines. You know how you can read an entire issue of MBA during one "sitting" on the john? These two are so think and full of interviews and articles it takes a good week to read them all.

The article also mentionned that he has a younger bro who's even better. That particular mag also did a story on his fathers career. The old man was King of Mountains in the TDF one year. The family own a bike shop somewhere in France and they all race.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by oldfart
He was interviewed in I think it was Procycling or Cyclesport. Those are awesome road racing magazines. You know how you can read an entire issue of MBA during one "sitting" on the john? These two are so think and full of interviews and articles it takes a good week to read them all.

The article also mentionned that he has a younger bro who's even better. That particular mag also did a story on his fathers career. The old man was King of Mountains in the TDF one year. The family own a bike shop somewhere in France and they all race.
whoa hold on one second, his little brother is better then him on the mtn bike or the road??

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It was the April issue, with all the pro team rosters. Interviewed Cadel Evans as well as Mig Martinez. Plus a story on his fathers career. The little bro is the current french Cadet cyclocross champ and Miguel said he was a better rider than he is.