Quantcast

Remote starts...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
who here has one?
Wifey wants to get two for this winter.
Did some google searching, but I didn't find anything concrete regarding makes, models, what to avoid, dealership or aftermarket...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my brother had one in his dodge diesel......nary a problem ever....not sure what it was.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I live in a small enough town that my remote start procedure is this;
  1. Start morning coffee procedure
  2. Put shirt, boxers and snow boots on
  3. Run to car and start it
  4. Come back inside, make coffee and get dressed
  5. Return to running unlocked car and leave for work

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
my brother had one in his dodge diesel......nary a problem ever....not sure what it was.
My buddy tried this with a setup installed by Car Toys. Nothing but issues, but it was also a manual and there were some funky things they had to do. '00 3500 dually 4x4, but that truck was nothing but issues.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I enjoy turning on the heat in my wife's electric car via phone app. The extra nice bit is that one can do this with the car in the garage without dying.

What's the point to remote start if one has gas vehicles and a garage? Open garage door, remote start cars, then get in and hope the bikes weren't stolen in the meantime?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
research shows it's not great for the vehicle (increases wear on certain parts without oil moving through them, and from uneven heating of parts), and it's not great for air quality (idling). Most modern vehicles don't need to warm up for more than 30 seconds. So why bother?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
research shows it's not great for the vehicle (increases wear on certain parts without oil moving through them, and from uneven heating of parts), and it's not great for air quality (idling). Most modern vehicles don't need to warm up for more than 30 seconds. So why bother?
Because my heated seats take like 5 minutes to warm up. That's 5 minutes of cold ass life I'll never get back.

I don't have heated seats, I'm not a nancy.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Factory only. /thread

Because cold. When it's 20* out, the Subaru sounds like a diesel upon startup. It takes 3-4 min to stop making that noise. Also, warm butt and a heater.

I have a factory one in a box in my garage. It is getting installed this weekend and dropped at Subaru to let the computer know it's there.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Factory only. /thread

Because cold. When it's 20* out, the Subaru sounds like a diesel upon startup. It takes 3-4 min to stop making that noise. Also, warm butt and a heater.

I have a factory one in a box in my garage. It is getting installed this weekend and dropped at Subaru to let the computer know it's there.
Forester is living outside while the Infiniti and ///M live in the garage?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Forester is living outside while the Infiniti and ///M live in the garage?
Only the Infiniti is inside right now. I have the bike setup in the garage currently, so the ///M is on the driveway and Subie on the street.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Only the Infiniti is inside right now. I have the bike setup in the garage currently, so the ///M is on the driveway and Subie on the street.
Get that larger house that Sarah wants with a 3 car garage and all your problems will be solved replaced by other problems.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
having worked in and around the business of selling remote starts, unless it came from the factory with one, it will fail within a few years. ive had everything from a $100 unit to my last $1000 2-way communication unit fail. there is no issue if properly installed with tapping into the wire harness of the vehicle..the issue lies with the brain of the unit dying....and they all die.
that being said, i still get them on every car that can have them and deal with replacing the removable brain later. avoid getting the unit installed at the dealership (unless the dealership actually brings in a reputable company to install them)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I will never let anyone tap into the wiring harness on my vehicle. But that's just me.

Factory remote start only or deal with it.
Factory only. /thread
This. You don't want the headaches that eventually come with it.
:stupid:
Somewhere, buried in the archives of teh Monkey is a whole thread about me chasing gremlins in our Subaru for days, that turned out to be a remote starter that had been installed that I didn't know about. Don't do it.

And fuck that car. God I'm glad it's gone.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My buddy tried this with a setup installed by Car Toys. Nothing but issues, but it was also a manual and there were some funky things they had to do. '00 3500 dually 4x4, but that truck was nothing but issues.
my brothers truck may have been the same year but auto....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Factory only. /thread

Cold when it's 20? Try -20, and you can't even scrape the ice off until you've softened it by idling for 10 min. The whole "drive moderately" thing is laughable where I live.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No garage here, and we hate scraping ice.
Even if you have a garage, if you park outside for an hour or more, frost can quickly deposite and not come off without some heat.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Haven't had any issues with viper remote starts on my last three trucks- total of over 300,000 miles and using the remote start an average of 3-4 times a day in summer and winter

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Haven't had any issues with viper remote starts on my last three trucks- total of over 300,000 miles and using the remote start an average of 3-4 times a day in summer and winter
are you still in montana?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
2014 Ford Escape, 2013 Chevy Silverado. All the electronics are compatible. We found an independant installer who (apparently) does the installs for all of the dealerships in Idaho falls. Lifetime warranty on Gremlins (of the original instalee).We will be able to control heat, seat heaters/coolers, AC. Sounds like this is what we are going with. $1000 for both.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The escape likely already has a block heater, just needs the harness, not sure about the Silverado.

Good luck on the remote starts, never had good luck with them if they did not come factory.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
2014 Ford Escape, 2013 Chevy Silverado. All the electronics are compatible. We found an independant installer who (apparently) does the installs for all of the dealerships in Idaho falls. Lifetime warranty on Gremlins (of the original instalee).We will be able to control heat, seat heaters/coolers, AC. Sounds like this is what we are going with. $1000 for both.
:popcorn:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cold when it's 20? Try -20, and you can't even scrape the ice off until you've softened it by idling for 10 min. The whole "drive moderately" thing is laughable where I live.
When I lived in balls cold Potsdam NY scraping was never an issue when it got that cold there wasn't enough water vapor in the air to cause problems.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
lol wut??
That sounds about right. The Ford is likely just a re flash on the pcm, not sure exactly for the GM though, could be a couple ways.

In my humble opinion based on an actual education and close to 20 years of experience in the field of automotive repair.... Block heaters are for winter, keeps engine warmer, allows for a faster and easier start, clears windows substantially faster and extends the life of the engine in temps lower than 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Remote starts are for summer use, best when using with the air conditioner left on to cool the inside of the vehicle before you get in.

Block heaters have an actual reason, remote starts are being lazy and not wanting to walk to the vehicle twice.

Last edited: