Quantcast

Remote starts...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I lived in balls cold Potsdam NY scraping was never an issue when it got that cold there wasn't enough water vapor in the air to cause problems.
There is enough water in the air in Alaska and hell, everywhere else in the state.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In my humble opinion based on an actual education and close to 20 years of experience in the field of automotive repair.... Block heaters are for winter, keeps engine warmer, allows for a faster and easier start, clears windows substantially faster and extends the life of the engine in temps lower than 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Remote starts are for summer use, best when using with the air conditioner left on to cool the inside of the vehicle before you get in.

Block heaters have an actual reason, remote starts are being lazy and not wanting to walk to the vehicle twice.
And if outlets were everywhere, that would make sense. It's amazing how fast a car can cold-soak in real cold temps in an hour, let alone multiple hrs. In Fairbanks they are in many places, far from "everywhere", but I've noticed functional ones are more rare, as inop ones in various states of degradation are quite common. Fairbanks gets to -40 a few times and possibly even colder. They are much more necessary there for starting Diesel engines. In the Anchorage area it gets down to an absolute of about -20, the coldest I've seen in town (ANC) is -12, but there are no plugins in town. The only cars with block heaters here are imports from Fairbanks.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
my fj 40 had this for heat...

:rofl:

My C4 Corvette had one of these for heat.

The heater core in a C4 Corvette is damn near imposibru to get to without major parts removal. The part is $80, the labor is about $2k or a very long weekend and way too many beers.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well, if ever there were doubts that my wife and I are idiots, they can be disregarded. We drove 100 miles to get these things installed. The honest owner of the shop took our key fobs, and proceeded to remote start both of our vehicles. Duh. We brought them cookies and chocolates. We would have brought them beers, but Idaho falls is a Mormon town..

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well, if ever there were doubts that my wife and I are idiots, they can be disregarded. We drove 100 miles to get these things installed. The honest owner of the shop took our key fobs, and proceeded to remote start both of our vehicles. Duh. We brought them cookies and chocolates. We would have brought them beers, but Idaho falls is a Mormon town..
Hahahahahahaha,. Now that shit is funny

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Next time RTFM. Lol

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It gets better. Three years ago wifey brought in the Escape to get a remote start installed. The dealership kept it overnight, saying they had problems getting parts (this involved a night in a hotel). The next day they said that a remote simply couldn't be installed on the vehicle (brand new '14 model). We even showed them the key fobs that had the RS button.
They said to wait a few years until an aftermarket model came out.
So we did.
It was there all along.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It gets better. Three years ago wifey brought in the Escape to get a remote start installed. The dealership kept it overnight, saying they had problems getting parts (this involved a night in a hotel). The next day they said that a remote simply couldn't be installed on the vehicle (brand new '14 model). We even showed them the key fobs that had the RS button.
They said to wait a few years until an aftermarket model came out.
So we did.
It was there all along.
This is what you get for buying a Ford.