Quantcast

Removable valve cores?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm led to believe that the presta valves that come with mavic EX823 UST rims have removable valve cores. Er, how do I remove them? Do I need a special tool, if so where can I get one from?

cheers

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Tufo makes a small plastic tool and forgive the spam but we make one as well that does presta and schrader valves Link

edit: I should add that while Mavic valves are now supposed to all have removable cores I do often hear that some people are not getting the removable type with their new rims or wheelsets. Check at the top of the valve for two small wrench flats, if present you're good to go if not, then you don't have the latest and greatest.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice little product Mike. I have a schrader valve remover but didn't know you could remove the presta valve. Will the 2 ounce "Solution" still be able to fill trough the presta core?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So do I have to buy a tool or can I potentially undo it by hand or with an adjustable spanner if I have the right valve type?

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
A small wrench or adjustable wrench is all you need , pliers can work too. Check your local roadie shop. They probably have some of the tools laying around you could have, if you just have to have the specific tool for the job.

Roadies and tri-geeks use the removable core all the time to put valve extenders on the valves for deep walled rims.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Nice little product Mike. I have a schrader valve remover but didn't know you could remove the presta valve. Will the 2 ounce "Solution" still be able to fill trough the presta core?
If you do in fact have removable presta cores, the 2 ounce bottle tip will fit the valve body.

The tool I designed is just a "nice to have." I used to use a piece of 1/4" stainless brake line crushed to fit but the tool is nicer. Pliers or small wrenches are a pain to use between the spokes IMO.