Quantcast

Removing a Bottom Bracket! HELP!

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I know how to take it out, but the barrings are pretty shot, and its to damn tight to take out. I don't know what to do. I have a new truvative BB and I have to correct tool to take off the old bottom bracket. I need to get it out soon!!! Is it safe to race with when the barrings are shot? Any tips on getting a wicked tight BB out?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Liquid Wrench might help. Get the bb tool on there, get a wrench with some good leverage, put your weight on it and give it your all. I don't think there's any way around that; but I've never had that much trouble with mine so I never have to try that hard.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Yes, liquid wrench the hell out of it. You cannot put too much on it. And let it soak for a few days, applying more each day. Lay the frame on the ground, put your full weight onto the wrench, and have a friend hold the frame to stop it from turning.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Use a steel pipe fitted around the wrench you're using to take the BB out for extra leverage. Remember that the drive side is reverse threaded.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Like I said, drive side is reverse threaded (turn to the right to loosen) and the non-drive side is standard threaded (turn to the left to loosen). Use a bar for leverage.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Lock the tool in place with a skewer or bolt...

...this will keep it from stripping out the splines when you put mondo pressure on it. Undo the lock once it breaks free.

Mike

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I have tried everything, even the skewer, except the liquid wrench, and it is still tight in there. MMcG came and picked up my bike and gave it a shot, and still no luck! I am racing this weekend at Platekill, would it be ok to race is the barrings are pretty shot, or do you think someone there could help me.

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
You're just a lad of 16. You have not the strength required. If you're in California bring it to me and I WILL bring the pain on it, guaranteed or your money back.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Put the tool in a bench vise and use the frame as a breaker bar? Apply slow even pressure until it breaks free.

Be sure your turning it in the right direction!

Mike

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Grizzle said:
Yes, liquid wrench the hell out of it. You cannot put too much on it. And let it soak for a few days, applying more each day. Lay the frame on the ground, put your full weight onto the wrench, and have a friend hold the frame to stop it from turning.
Can try spraying the liquid wrench down the seat tube so it can soak into the threads from the inside.

If someone used loctite on the BB threads it is going to be very very tough.