Quantcast

Removing the rear wheel on a sunday

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
So i'm about to tape the frame on my new sunday team and when i go to take off the rear wheel i realize i have never seen this kind of axle setup. (i've had quick release on all my past bikes). i loosened the two small bolts that wrap around the larger bolt that goes in the axle, then loosened that larger bolt, and i saw that the axle was unscrewing from the drive side of the frame, seeming to pry the frame apart. this scared me so i just screwed it back in.

so what exactly do u have to do to remove the rear wheel?

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
dropmachine.com said:

Shoot if off.

haha rofl that was funny

rep given :thumb:

just start unscewing bolts and sliding them out till your wheel comes off, its not like anything that bad can happen

V-Dub

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
You are actually doing everything right. The problem is that the tolerance on the axle and the hub is too tight and so the axle is actually stuck in the hub. If you unthread it all the way you could damage the threads in the frame, and also possibly bend it. What you are going to want to do is unthread the axle just a turn or two, and lightly tap on the drive side of the frame. One problem you will run into is that the paint on the frame will most likely decide to fall off. So you are going to want to be very careful, or put some thick tape on it or something. So after you have done that a few times, unthreading the axle about 1 turn, and tap tap tapping, you will get to a point where the axle will come all the way out without totally flexing the frame over. You want to make sure you don't tap on it with only 1 or 2 threads left, as you may damage frame or axle that way as well. So with the axle unthreaded, you should be able to use a punch to tap the axle out of the hub. Then you will want to lightly sand on the axle (preferably with something like a 600 grit wetsand paper) until it slides smoothly into the hub with no binding. After sanding on that axle you will need to make sure to grease it all the time because with the anodize taken off that aluminum it will be way more likely to stick. Hope that helps you out.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
freeridekid said:
but wait what side of the hub will the axle come out of? the non-drive side?
Yes, the non-drive side. You may also try loosening the axle a couple of turns and the pressing the dropouts together with your hands. Sometimes that is enough pressure to slide the axle through. If the end of the axle pops out of the non-drive side dropout after you press together, loosen a couple more turns and repeat until it is unthreaded. You will still likely need to push the axle the rest of the way through the hub.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
OR! you could use a belt or something of that sort which will hold the left and right sides of your rear triangle together. This will do the trick(I have to do it all the time with customers bikes). It's a normal thing for sundays it seems like... that and shock play... But you're doing everything right, just use an old belt, some rope, or something like that to keep it from spreading apart. I wouldn't suggest using a hammer... it would work, but I don't like swinging anything at a frame...

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
iridebikes said:
OR! you could use a belt or something of that sort which will hold the left and right sides of your rear triangle together. This will do the trick(I have to do it all the time with customers bikes). It's a normal thing for sundays it seems like... that and shock play... But you're doing everything right, just use an old belt, some rope, or something like that to keep it from spreading apart. I wouldn't suggest using a hammer... it would work, but I don't like swinging anything at a frame...
alright ya that sounds a little safer, thanks

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Sorry to hijack this tread also,

But how on earth do u remove the bolt that holds the shock to the linkage? Mines the 06 elite.. I remove the two tiny screws at the ends, than wat?

Thanks in advance..