Quantcast

Renewal by Anderson - anecdotes anyone?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've been thinking about doing something about two old double hung windows in our semi-finished attic for a while (the only two single pane windows in our house that don't have storm windows) so when I got a card with promotion from Renewal by Anderson, I took the bait without too much research and scheduled a sales meeting. Then I read some of the stories on interboobz, then they called me that the promotion does not apply because only two windows. So I promptly cancelled / postponed the appointment indefinitely - a case of a buyers remorse before even buying. Anyone has good / bad / ugly stories with them to share, am I just a panicking sissy?

I am now inclined towards just getting storm windows for those two windows, if I can find the right size... Btw. if any monkey does this job in greater Boston or knows someone good, please let me know.

TIA!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Knowing what I know of the Window replacement companies in Mass and northern NJ. I would buy the windows and install them myself. I would particularly avoid a certain Window Company on Broadway in Somerville.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Go to ABC supplies or a large commercial roofing siding window supplier by you talk to salesman look at their selection of windows ask him for the name and a number of a couple contractors

The places who supply materials only know those small guys who do good work

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Go to ABC supplies or a large commercial roofing siding window supplier by you talk to salesman look at their selection of windows ask him for the name and a number of a couple contractors

The places who supply materials only know those small guys who do good work
My brother has a contact in Woburn. I will try to wrangle up a # for you....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't you just have to guess how many inches it will snow on xmas and you get the windows for free?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have Pella windows. Aluminum-clad wood. They're good. I used their contractor for the install and have had no problems. I may get Syadasti-levels of grief for this, but consider something other than vinyl for your windows. Production of vinyl is very very bad for the environment.

DBrowne

Chimp
Nov 28, 2016
Used anderson and it took over a year to get the job completed. They couldn't manufacture a picture window that fit, to save their lives. The other thing, there is no accountability, you can't really call corporate, it's just the contractor they sent you. The contractor definitely tried to rush, and I got him to fix allot after the fact. That said, let the sales guy come and waste your time, then see if you can cut the price in half. They are pushy and over priced. 2 windows is 1/2 day for them, so that's going to be tough.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I had a conversation with my boss about replacement windows not too long ago. He investigated multiple companies and found the one that was somewhere in the middle of the road.

He said that the renewal people were extremely pushy (we can only sign this today, your wife has to be here when you meet, etc.) and were also the most expensive. He ended up going with some online place that installed vinyl double pane windows for pretty cheap. I can ask if you want to, but he definitely said to avoid renewal by anderson.

I will say that pella windows are garbage, our new sunroom is all pella and they allegedly do not service nor make parts for those casement windows a year after installing them...

our new house has harvey windows, which are super nice. Our inspector made a note of them and said that they are "mid-range" but have features that put them in the high end category. He was very impressed with them.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
1. Buy cheap, Chinese crabon rims (say 3 for each window you want to replace).

2. Heat up crabon so it becomes malleable, or if they're shitty enough, you may be able to just bend them into the shapes you want.

3. Add decorative enduro approved colorway stickers so they match the drapes and/or shutters. The stickers should also provide some measure of UV resistance.

4. ???

5. Profit.

(Btw, will any of you monkeys be a reference for me in my application to become Trump's royal wizard of mathology & alchemy? The job description says I would get a pointy hat and a fancy dowel, although I'm a little concerned about color and coverage of the pointy hat :tinfoil: )