Quantcast

Rennie going for world record...

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Or what if you case so hard it goes a real big BOOM and makes a avalanche on your head?

That would kill you pretty dead, too.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BKQuill said:
Go ride a snowboard off a 200 ft jump and you will see what i mean. MUCH harder to stay level in the air. A bike will almost do that on its own due to the gyroscopic force from it's wheels.

When you hit a jump on a snowboard, it want sto throw you on your head...forcefully. It is also harder to stay level throughout the flight (that is one hell fo a long one too) you have to start to roll down the widonws to keep from going onto your head. Trust me, the snowboard jump is probably way way harder at that distance.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that's why you always do a flip when jumping distance on snowboards, sheesh

:oink: ;)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend said:
Go ride a snowboard off a 200 ft jump and you will see what i mean. MUCH harder to stay level in the air. A bike will almost do that on its own due to the gyroscopic force from it's wheels.

When you hit a jump on a snowboard, it want sto throw you on your head...forcefully. It is also harder to stay level throughout the flight (that is one hell fo a long one too) you have to start to roll down the widonws to keep from going onto your head. Trust me, the snowboard jump is probably way way harder at that distance.
OK, so jumping a snowboard is hard, but he was talking about jumping a bike in the snow. And I still don't understand how snow kills you easier than dirt (although the slipperyness and the ability to drown may have answered that)

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Bicyclist said:
OK, so jumping a snowboard is hard, but he was talking about jumping a bike in the snow. And I still don't understand how snow kills you easier than dirt (although the slipperyness and the ability to drown may have answered that)

I'm still wondering how snow can kill you easier then snow myself.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Transcend said:

You said that snow can kill you easier then dirt, it has nothing to to do with snowboarding. I'm not questioning that jumping a snowboard is, or is not, harder then jumping a bike. But I would like to hear how snow can kill you easier then dirt given the same cirumstances.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
BKQuill said:
You said that snow can kill you easier then dirt, it has nothing to to do with snowboarding. I'm not questioning that jumping a snowboard is, or is not, harder then jumping a bike. But I would like to hear how snow can kill you easier then dirt given the same cirumstances.
dude it's so obvious. snow is cold. so not only do u hit it but u could get a pneumonia after hitting it. in doing so, you could drown in your own mucus because of that or when the rescue team comes to help a freak accident could happen melting all the snow causing a ridiculous flood drowning you that or...or like someone else said, perhaps even an avalanche. god help you if the abominable snowman shows up...that's when you know sh!t really hit the fan. snow is so much more dangerous to land on than dirt. just look at all those variables you have to consider.:thumb:

i need another beer :D

and yes i understand it is tougher to jump a snowboard

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
in the icy-east we dont even have snow, it's all ice. Sure it sounds refreshing but it's actually harder than concrete....

but when we are talking about 100+ distances with the speeds involved, the margins can get pretty slim for everyone anyways so no use arguing

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:
in the icy-east we dont even have snow, it's all ice. Sure it sounds refreshing but it's actually harder than concrete....

but when we are talking about 100+ distances with the speeds involved, the margins can get pretty slim for everyone anyways so no use arguing
That's why they don't do that crap and mt tremblant yo.

I'm going for 250 feet on my disc sled this year, sponsored by slimfast. It's gonna be off the hook.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
LukeD said:
dude it's so obvious. snow is cold. so not only do u hit it but u could get a pneumonia after hitting it. in doing so, you could drown in your own mucus because of that or when the rescue team comes to help a freak accident could happen melting all the snow causing a ridiculous flood drowning you that or...or like someone else said, perhaps even an avalanche. god help you if the abominable snowman shows up...that's when you know sh!t really hit the fan. snow is so much more dangerous to land on than dirt. just look at all those variables you have to consider.:thumb:

i need another beer :D

and yes i understand it is tougher to jump a snowboard

Duh, I feel so dumb :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:
one day i'm hoping to pull a straight-air off one of those....i'm getting sick of the standard fakey-fifteen-hundred-to-faceplant
I've actually got a bearing mounted spindle in the middle of mine that I sit on and squeeze with the cheeks. Right off the lip I spin the disc to maintain attitude.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Did anyone discuss this already in this thread? about how Rennie has always dissed the freeriders? I would say Rennie is probably the biggest freerider opponent...he has actually always made excellent points to for his feelings. But, Does this jump not constitute some freehucking category placement? and possible Hypocrisy? just a thought.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
stiksandstones said:
Did anyone discuss this already in this thread? about how Rennie has always dissed the freeriders? I would say Rennie is probably the biggest freerider opponent...he has actually always made excellent points to for his feelings. But, Does this jump not constitute some freehucking category placement? and possible Hypocrisy? just a thought.
I wouldnt know about that since Ive only seen him a couple of times.
But he doesnt strike me as a guy who would say that.
Specially since hes a damn good street, dirt whatever rider and not just a racer...
But yeah if thats what his statement has been then he is definitly a hypocrite.
Im not gonna take your word on it though since I dont know you either and you didnt really make a good impression on me by calling me a "goon". :nope:
No hard feelings though.

Cheers

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Kevin said:
I wouldnt know about that since Ive only seen him a couple of times.
But he doesnt strike me as a guy who would say that.
Specially since hes a damn good street, dirt whatever rider and not just a racer...
But yeah if thats what his statement has been then he is definitly a hypocrite.
Im not gonna take your word on it though since I dont know you either and you didnt really make a good impression on me by calling me a "goon". :nope:
No hard feelings though.

Cheers
I am pretty sure it was Dirt magazine interview he dissed the freehuckers pretty bad...as well as when I have spoke with him in person...I tend to agree with him on his points in this matter, but that is besides the point.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
stiksandstones said:
I think you're taking his statements out of context. I've heard him say that it's basically all riding to him and he thinks categorizing riding is lame. He's got mad skills no matter how you look at it.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Dogboy said:
I think you're taking his statements out of context. I've heard him say that it's basically all riding to him and he thinks categorizing riding is lame. He's got mad skills no matter how you look at it.
He does have insanely mad skills, the things I have seen him do on a bicycle warrant a god like status. I just think this ramp jump thing is comparable to the stuff he has made fun of (jumping off cliffs)...and that is all I am trying to say. At any rate, mission accomplished by him and his Santa Cruz media engine-there is a 5 page thread here and there will be news coverage of this...my whole initial point was I wish he was getting press for winning downhills, not jumping box jumps.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
stiksandstones said:
I think he knocks freeriders and freeriding as specifics. Not the performance of hucks and jumps but the lack of other skills involved when people only huck and jump. While slightly inclusive, they are exclusive of each other. I find, for the most part, what he says makes sense, even though I don't race. I have ridden with a couple of guys signifigantly faster than me on a-line and much better at jumping with styleee (as they call it). I brought them on a rubber side down techy trail and they couldn't remotely keep up. Their skills were pure bmx. Good riders but they hated every second of my trails. Oh and I am slow...

while not the norm I think this is similar to what he is refering to.

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
October 30, 2005

310 Feet!

Motorcycle long-jumper Ryan Capes, backed by Monster Energy, landed a fifth-gear, wide open launch on Saturday night for 310 feet, shattering the new world record by 33 feet. The jump took place at Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington.

SCARY

Not long enough
stiksandstones said:
He does have insanely mad skills, the things I have seen him do on a bicycle warrant a god like status. I just think this ramp jump thing is comparable to the stuff he has made fun of (jumping off cliffs)...and that is all I am trying to say. At any rate, mission accomplished by him and his Santa Cruz media engine-there is a 5 page thread here and there will be news coverage of this...my whole initial point was I wish he was getting press for winning downhills, not jumping box jumps.
Gotta bring in some cash to PAY Peaty sounds like.It's a shame what The Man makes you do when he owns you.Rennies gotta feel really low ,doing that just to bring somebody in to take his job.It's soo corporate.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
SCARY said:
Gotta bring in some cash to PAY Peaty sounds like.It's a shame what The Man makes you do when he owns you.Rennies gotta feel really low ,doing that just to bring somebody in to take his job.It's soo corporate.
Oh is that why? :think: It's the man's fault...:mumble:

revmonkey

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
as to how snow can easier to get hurt on, if you land head-first at the right angle your head will actually dig in and your body will keep on moving past you. it's a lot easier to break your neck. if you hit it at the same angle on dirt, your head will just keep on sliding.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
revmonkey said:
as to how snow can easier to get hurt on, if you land head-first at the right angle your head will actually dig in and your body will keep on moving past you. it's a lot easier to break your neck. if you hit it at the same angle on dirt, your head will just keep on sliding.
That's what I was thinking. On dirt, it's just a sudden hit, but with snow any part of you can dig in and get twisted the wrong way.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
the fact that the current world record is held by a 20" is pretty sad. Now Rennie can finally back up his **** when he was saying that mountain bikes can jump very far and very high.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Well fellas, its done.

DOM@Farkin.net said:
Update: Thursday 3rd November, Painted Desert, Central Australia.

An elated Nathan Rennie rang in today, with news of his Red Bull sponsored attempt at the World Bicycle Long Distance Jump Record. Although not officially recognised by the Guinness Book of Record officials at the site, the jump of 121 feet from take off ramp to three quarters of the way down the exit ramp can be claimed as an “unofficial record”. After several successful jumps of 85 feet over the preceding days, in Nathan’s words, “It was time to go big!”

He was towed in at 96 km per hour with the ramp gap set just over the old record of 116 feet. “I flat landed the front wheel and basically blew up” said Nathan. “I separated my shoulder and have cuts and bruises from the rocks” he said. “The Troy Lee full face helmet saved my life but is pretty smashed up, but the bike [Santa Cruz V10] is O.K.” “I’m stoked!”

According to Nathan the set up was so good “we could have gone 150 feet” but that will have to wait for some time in the future.

The event was extensively covered by video cameras including helmet cam and will feature in a half hour free to air T.V. feature in the near future.

Bruce Rennie (Dad)

----
Nathan Rennie has overcleared the world record distance landing almost to flat. He has sustained a seperated shoulder and mass gravel rash !!!

He's built like brick sh*t houses so he'll be back at it in no time I bet.

http://www.nathanrennie.com/home.htm

Big props for going too big though !!!