Quantcast

Rennie taking some time out of the season?

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Cooke, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Cooke

Cooke Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    just read off dirt he decided to mid season quit and get ready for the world champs....any word on this?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. RUFUS

RUFUS e-douche of the year

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    So, he has sucked this season so far. A bummer though as I was hoping that he could get some results this season.

3. AlCapone

AlCapone Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    He hasn't been delivering as I'd hoped. Hopefully he comes back from his leave ready to shred.

4. lachy_mtb

lachy_mtb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I think the whole knee thing has really stuffed him around, as well as riding a completely different new bike and set up..From all that I think he has put too much pressure on himself. just my 2 cents

5. JCL

JCL Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Too many pies ?

6. Leppah

Leppah Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 3
    He's kinda looking like a lunker lately. Not exactly in shape for a "pro" dh racer. I hope he comes back strong. He's a great rider and seems like a way cool guy. Just doesn't look like he's training as hard as the top guys are now.

7. aj-monkey

aj-monkey Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Rennie is an absolute champ! His knee has been screwing him around as they decided not to go ahead with surgery in the off season. I think that the docs may have been wrong. I hope he comes back super strong and psyched!

8. dropmachine

dropmachine Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 10
    Perhaps its the bike?

Just sayin.

9. Leppah

Leppah Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 3
    he needs to get back on the SGS Bro Ironhorse to get back to his winning ways.

10. Rider15

Rider15 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 3
    Are you sure? Cause I am 100% sure he did have surgery on his knee during the off season.

11. Damo

Damo Short One Marshmallow

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 20
    His knee is still giving him some grief.
    He's been thinking of doing what Mick did anyway.
    10 years of constant racing/traveling is a lot for someone.
    He is off to train for the Champs. It's a course he can do well on and I'm guessing focusing on that will be more beneficial for him than burning out on the circuit.
    I'm hoping for a strong comeback from him.

12. supercow

supercow Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 125
    Yes, that must be it. Just like when you spend £10 000 on the best kit out there will make you go faster than everyone else.

13. sayndesyn

sayndesyn Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Crying in the corner of a Refrigerator Box
    I wonder how his sponsors are supporting his decision...

14. slowmtb

slowmtb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Not only can he ride, but he has brains as well. He should be in good shape for the Aussie rounds.

15. davet

davet Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 3
    wow, that sucks

How does a sponsored rider decide to take the year off? Aren't there contracts in place?

16. numerik

numerik Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 8
    Floront Payet of Subaru Mondraker (Barels teammate) also decided midseason to quit. Lack of motivation and school stuff...

17. yuroshek

yuroshek Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    damn last time i seen rennie he was digging in a garbage can and i asked him what he was doing and he told me to shut up mate.

good for him if he takes off to train and REfocus on racing for world champs.

18. elRey

elRey Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    judging by his results this season i don't think his sponsors were too heart broken about him taking a little time off, especially if he comes back faster.

19. Muttely

Muttely Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    He has already been replaced on the WC team, cant remember who buy, some french fellow.

20. jvnixon

jvnixon Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    He hasn't been replaced to my knowledge but they do have a french fellow who got on board now as well.

21. NoUseForAName

NoUseForAName Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    If he does well at the Worlds, i imagine all will be forgiven. If shows up and blows up, then maybe they wont.

22. davetrump

davetrump Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ha, contracts usually require a rider to perform, so don't think that rennie made this decision all on his own. it would not be the first time he was "sent home" by his sponsors in the last year.

hopefully he sorts out all the other stuff in his life that is dragging him down at the moment (besides his knee injury) and can get the motivation back.

23. offtheedge

offtheedge Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Yeah, I doubt they're heartbroken about flying him around the world to clear rocks early on Sunday. The only thing worst than bad results are bad results while further hurting yourself.

Best of luck too him.

24. Inclag

Inclag Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 46
    I am drunk right now because I was at the American Craft Beer Festival, but I have often times have thought that Rennie hearts the sauce. It would explain alot....

25. slowitdown

slowitdown Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    what kind of surgery?

as someone who's had both knees rebuilt and 2 additional surgeries on the right knee, I can tell you from personal experience that just having surgery doesn't mean it's fixed. sometimes the surgery is just for diagnosis, sometimes it's just to snip out some troublesome cartilage.

reconstruction requires a lot of downtime, even for a top athlete.

and even if Rennie had reconstruction, it's very possible to ruin the rebuilt knee if you push it too hard too fast. I know two people who have done so, one by riding MTBs, the other by skiing.

the people who talk about his contract requiring him to "perform" are pretty ignorant. especially about contract law. a contract cannot mandate things that are not within the contracting party's control. such elements in a contract are unenforceable.

where a rider places is unenforceable. it's not within the rider's control. it depends on externalities as much as on the rider. for example, if I contracted with Ibex Kmart Bikes to race World Cup DH, and IKB mandated that I must beat Steve Peat every race, that portion of the contract would be unenforceable because I can't control Steve Peat's performance. the remedy for IKB would be to get back some of its money paid to me, or to not renew. I'd be able to argue that the contract was basically illusory. NOTE: just because some contracts being used today have similar clauses doesn't prove I'm wrong. it only proves that nobody's bothering to challenge the contracts, probably because the riders are happy to be sponsored.

WHATEVER is bugging Rennie, I hope he sorts it out. he's crazy fun to watch, the dude makes his own berms everywhere he goes.

#25 -   Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  26. slothy

slothy Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Rennie, is one of my favourite riders, but its unrealistic for him to think he can get away with carrying the kind of mass he does in his upper body.

He needs to lose weight. simple as that.
    he need to get his diet sorted, he is doing something really wrong, food wise, or else he was heavy on the sauce in the off season and it bloated him right up.
    When he was getting all his results a few years ago he was much slimmer. He is tall he needs to have a shape like, peat, minnaar or Gee, unless he wants to play rugby he would be grand as a second row or a loosey.

#26 -   Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  27. Demomonkey

Demomonkey Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I made a comment in another post about Rennie and his 'head space'. Well, last nights commentary and interview with the Morewood manager Peter at Maribor went a long way to explain things.

I am sure no-ones head would be in a good place if they hadn't fully recovered from surgery. I hope that Renoir gets his health and head back with this rest period and comes back on fire.

28. Whoops

Whoops Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Rarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

29. dropmachine

dropmachine Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 10
    Rennie rules. I hope whatevers bugging him gets sorted, and he comes back strong as he can.

30. sriracha

sriracha Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Knee injuries can take a looong time and have quite a negative effect on one's confidence and outlook.

Maybe his knee effected his health and mental state to the point where it is detrimental to his WC racing performance. It would be better to take time off and recover properly. Sometimes there is no other option.

Either that, or it's the bike.

31. slyfink

slyfink Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    103 / 1,546
    it almost sounds like Rennie is pulling a Jan Ullrich. :yu: I hope for Rennie's sake that it will end differently for him, caus' I'd like to see him back at the top. He's always fun to watch ride. I hope he gets better... :dance:

32. Sshields32

Sshields32 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    knees are buggers.

33. Tdiddy

Tdiddy Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    mitch delfs seemed to do okay on the bike this weekend.

34. ph4se_1

ph4se_1 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ''im a man and im australian'' .... delfs after tearing his wheel apart in a tree-bending crash: legend!

35. Muttely

Muttely Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Oh Rennie, when will you stop eating and being depressed.

36. DIRT-HQ

DIRT-HQ Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    official word from the team:

"After some disappointing results and a series of injuries that didn't allow Nathan Rennie to achieve results that were up to his calibre, Kenda Morewood Team Management together with Nathan Rennie decided that the best solution for the actual situation will be by taking a break from racing, going back to Australia to recover from injuries and concentrate on training for World Championships on Nathan Rennie's home track in Canberra, Australia."

Full story here:

http://dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/press release/nathan-rennie-team-update/dirt-1235293.html

37. time-bomb

time-bomb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 11
    Best of luck to Rennie and the team. It would be great to see him at full strength and make a come back for the World Championships.

38. time-bomb

time-bomb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 11
    Edit: Nothing to add. Sorry.

#38 -   Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  39. hellonasty

hellonasty Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
  40. trib