Quantcast

Reno Tahoe peeps?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I'm seriously considering heading down to either Tahoe City or Reno, my old man has a spot near Mount Rose so I'll have a place to stay till I get on my feet. My question is this, is there much in the way of riding (DH) outside of Northstar? I don't really care too much about shuttles or lift access as I'm pretty accustomed to pushing to the top around here. I'm fairly certain there is some good all-mountain to be had, but what about dirt jump pump track action to mix it up a bit (the closer to Reno the better)? Give me the good the bad and the down low. (Put it in here as the Gnarcal forum doesn't seem to get much action).

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
plenty of rad trails in reno and tahoe! Hell, most of which are right off mt rose, both DH and XC! there is a bit of DJ action at a few spots around town, but not really any pumptracks yet... theres also about 4 bmx tracks within an hours drive of reno...

I think you should go for it. its cheap to live here and the riding is amazing.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Just don't hope for a job, that part of Reno really sucks right now. We're at something like 15% unemployment.

There are a butt pile of good DH trails, and most of them are shuttle friendly. Just gotta get in the know with some of the local fun bunch.

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
the xc/trail riding around here kills all

But there's plenty of everything. Especially if you're not afraid of a shovel.
exactly. the terrain here is perfect for dh/fr, and there is an abundance of public land that others see as undesirable. this is how I created my trail, which is out my back gate, not touched by anyone else, and sitting on vacant land. aside from N*, there are numerous other trails in the Reno/Tahoe area that are absurd, but I will refrain from naming them at this point. if you move to Reno or T.C. they will become evident...except for the N-Trail, its on the internet, its no secret, and its in town. its actually in good shape right now - fast and fun...the people speak the truth about the job situation. I moved here three years ago when there were sh!tloads of jobs, and at least for teachers, that is no longer the case. Reno is an interesting mix of younger transplants, older rednecks, and Bay Area tourists...but the riding in this area is tough to beat. high desert riding 10 months out of the year down in Reno, and then you have Tahoe and all its splendors in the summer. :thumb:

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
The Reno Tahoe area has amazing DH and XC riding virtually year round. Not much in the way of say "North Shore" type stuff but were getting there......there are SOME nice "North Shore" type trails. Great DJ scene and of course N*.

You can actually DH almost right from downtown....

Job situation = very, very, very, very bad.

Check out www.dhreno.com for some heads up info.

or shoot me an email when you get here.

Wil
wil@wmsmithphoto.com

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Just don't hope for a job, that part of Reno really sucks right now. We're at something like 15% unemployment.

There are a butt pile of good DH trails, and most of them are shuttle friendly. Just gotta get in the know with some of the local fun bunch.
Fortunately thats one of the things that I don't have to worry about.

KT its up in the air at this point, I think I'd rather move to the west side... The riding there is soooo good. But this whole having a job offer thing makes it tempting. I rode North* last summer and I must say it was pretty impressive.

Had no idea the job market was so dismal round those parts... Does that mean housing is abundant and cheap?

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If you dont have to worry about the job situation Id rock tahoe reno in a heart beat.
I was born and raised in Seattle (Woodinville) and I can tell you the rain and gloom gets OLD real quick even if you ride. Seeing the sun once in a while is priceless, Im moving back to Slocal in August I hate COLD and clouds.

Westside is cool but the weather will get to you and Eastside is definently alot more sunny then over the hill!
Besides the windows always fogging up, the clamy feeling of your clothes sticking and damp etc wears thin.
Either way change is good and experiences are priceless.