Quantcast

Rental bikes for DH park

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
If you were looking to outfit a new Bike Park with DH bikes what brands would be on your list of inquiries? You need bikes for kids too and would like to deal with only one brand if that is possible. Your bike park is in the United States. Trails would probably be more machine-built Crank It Up type stuff in year one.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
(Lahar) OK, but might consider others....

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I think it would have to be Kona purely on the fact that they are one of few who make a full suspension 24" kids DH bike. Besides, the new Supreme Operator doesn't look that bad, is priced well for a carbon bike with those specs and they have "Park" bikes as well.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
More important than frame company is make sure they can equip the DH bikes with 888 forks. The Spec Status at Winter park came this way and surely saved the mechanics countless hours compared to the Boxxer that bike usually comes with.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
More important than frame company is make sure they can equip the DH bikes with 888 forks. The Spec Status at Winter park came this way and surely saved the mechanics countless hours compared to the Boxxer that bike usually comes with.
I wonder what kind of volume you have to be talking about for changes like that to be made.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Having to buy a pile of forks separately and then sell the OEM forks.
i think he was referring to a special order with the manuf. to get the marz forks.

but still, selling a pile of OEM forks work probably be cheaper and easier than servicing boxxers all season long

mikerothdram

Chimp
Apr 19, 2012
You should meet with bike reps in your area. Find someone who is willing to partner with your resort. Work with a company who is able to deliver and service their product (warranty).
Expect rental terms on the bikes, as in don't pay until September after you've sold them. Or have a deal where the bike company owns the bikes and you share profits of rentals then return bikes at seasons end.

You need to have a service department that is able to make sure bikes are running: real bike mechanics with tools and spare parts, accounts with all parts suppliers to maintain bikes and to process warranties of parts. Bike companies only make the frames, parts are all the same no matter who you're dealing with.

Companies to consider because of their ability to outfit a complete rental fleet that I know(kids, groms, park bikes, DH race bikes) : Kona, Giant and Commencal.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
You should meet with bike reps in your area. Find someone who is willing to partner with your resort. Work with a company who is able to deliver and service their product (warranty).
Expect rental terms on the bikes, as in don't pay until September after you've sold them. Or have a deal where the bike company owns the bikes and you share profits of rentals then return bikes at seasons end.

You need to have a service department that is able to make sure bikes are running: real bike mechanics with tools and spare parts, accounts with all parts suppliers to maintain bikes and to process warranties of parts. Bike companies only make the frames, parts are all the same no matter who you're dealing with.

Companies to consider because of their ability to outfit a complete rental fleet that I know(kids, groms, park bikes, DH race bikes) : Kona, Giant and Commencal.
Looks like we are on the same page here. Those are may of my concerns and those guys are all on my list. Just wondering if there are any I hadn't considered.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I say if you do it, don't do it halfway, because the return on investment will be what you put in.

My opinion:
Get 3 brands. That gives your clients "options". Then have a direct sales channel for all 3 brands. They ride your rentals, you sell them the one they like in the future.
Kids DH bikes - Kona Stinky 24's all the way.
Kranked Kids hardtails - Perfect day rental for kids that would be easy to rent/low maintenance/lower upkeep/high volume rentals.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
If you were looking to outfit a new Bike Park with DH bikes what brands would be on your list of inquiries? You need bikes for kids too and would like to deal with only one brand if that is possible. Your bike park is in the United States. Trails would probably be more machine-built Crank It Up type stuff in year one.
Having just been on a trip where I didn't have the option of bringing my own DH bike with me I can say it was nice to rent a bike that was easy and quick to set up "mostly" to my likings.

Rented the Glory's available at Whistler, the bike was in good condition, newer tires, everything was tight and in good condition (this surprised me) the bike felt ok out of the gate, a few tire pressure adjustments, a couple clicks here and there and it felt good enough to go and ride for the day.

Turns out the glory rides pretty good too, but I kept knocking my knees on that wide rear linkage!