Quantcast

Rental Monkeys?

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Anybody familiar with laws pertaining to what management companies are required to do before a tenant moves in? I'm currently looking for a place for my fiancee and I to move into after we get married, and the place we're looking at is in a good area, has a nice footprint - but it's filthy. I just want to do my homework before we make any decisions.

Even a link to a website would be greatly appreciated. We're in CA, and I imagine laws will vary from state to state.

Thanks!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Here's my take, not involved in management, but I say if you like it, clean it if you have to. If it's not worth a little work, it might not be the right place. I would, of course, ask them to make up for me cleaning a filthy place, but I wouldn't make it the determining factor.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Here's my take, not involved in management, but I say if you like it, clean it if you have to. If it's not worth a little work, it might not be the right place. I would, of course, ask them to make up for me cleaning a filthy place, but I wouldn't make it the determining factor.
I feel the same way, but I feel like I have more leverage with the management if it's something they're supposed to do... if "leverage with the management" is even possible, that is.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I'm with you. Have you already asked about it???
Not yet. When it comes down to it, I'm more bothered more by the fact that the management company posted and ad and scheduled a walk-through with me before the place was cleaned. I'm all for cleaning the place up myself if it gets me a break on rent/deposit/whathaveyou

How filthy is the place ?

Are we talking dirty and trashy or blood stains and decomposing flesh ?

Would a thorough cleaning get it done or do things need to be replaced ?
It's not a crime scene or anything - stains and holes in carpets, dingey walls, the previous tenant was a smoker, so it smells like smoke, the appliances stink to high hell... That's the gist of it.

EDIT - I did find what appears to be a hypodermic needle cap, though....

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'm renting in the Socal area. Every place I moved into required a walkthrough with the property manager. Any discrepancy was either noted or slated to be fixed/cleaned/replaced before the move in day. Only had one snag once when they were late by 3 weeks to install a new stove. I'd venture to say that any reputable property managment company will do business this way.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Not yet. When it comes down to it, I'm more bothered more by the fact that the management company posted and ad and scheduled a walk-through with me before the place was cleaned. I'm all for cleaning the place up myself if it gets me a break on rent/deposit/whathaveyou

It's not a crime scene or anything - stains and holes in carpets, dingey walls, the previous tenant was a smoker, so it smells like smoke, the appliances stink to high hell... That's the gist of it.

EDIT - I did find what appears to be a hypodermic needle cap, though....
In NC that amount of cleaning and painting ( only way to get rid of the smoke smell ) is the landlord's responsibility and is usually taken out of the previous tenants deposit.

The fact that the rental co. showed the apartment without cleaning or making any necessary repairs is not only unprofessional but a good indicator as to how they will be to deal with in the future.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
In NC that amount of cleaning and painting ( only way to get rid of the smoke smell ) is the landlord's responsibility and is usually taken out of the previous tenants deposit.

The fact that the rental co. showed the apartment without cleaning or making any necessary repairs is not only unprofessional but a good indicator as to how they will be to deal with in the future.
These are my thoughts exactly. I have little faith in the management after seeing that. If I run into an issue down the road, who knows how they'll treat it?