Quantcast

Rented a 29er

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
So I had a business trip to Austin last week, I worked my schedule to include a free day so I could ride the Greenbelt trail near downtown. :biggrin:

Well I went in to Bicycle Sport Shop as recommended here on Ridemonkey and laid down the rental fee for a sweet Willits Trail-king x-9 shifting and other top shelf components. I actually thought I was going to get a Ti Trail King ( I sized up one the night before) but for whatever reason I ended up with steel.

It may have been a huge mistake CASH WISE!!! I could definitely tell the difference the larger wheels made. I rode through rock-gardens much like I used to on my DH bike (SC V-10). I don't think my 4inch front and back Trailbike would have had an easy as time.

Likewise, it has been many years since I owned a steel hardtail and it definitely soaked up some jolts and was lively.. I did notice some flex (wonder if the Ti would have been even more flexible?) but the comfort offset it.

As a note the Willits built frame was immaculate if anyone is considering a higher end steel or ti frames his welds literally were invisible, and were beyond most other high end frames I have seen, at some point the difference is neligible but as a comparison to IF welds they seemed wider and created a tapered look at the intersection.

The bike was also Stan's equipped and while I get the low tire pressure comfort factor it still scares the bejesus out of me that the tire is going to squirm off the rim when I corner hard. I also experienced some burping when I hit some very large rocks at speed..

All in all I confirmed my desire for a 29er, I sure hope I get a bonus this year.