Quantcast

Renters Insurance???

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So I was wondering who has it and how much do you pay per month for how much coverage? We recently had a large amount of rainfall here in So Cal. and I found out my garage was not water proof. As a result I lost a lot of items to water damage:mumble:

Are there any companies in specific people can recommend?.... just trying to get any feedback that anyone may have as far as service and making claims....D

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I used to use Allstate for renters insurance.

Got upto 25k in coverage and it was really cheap. I think it was like 200 buck a year, but I can't remember exactly.

No need for claims....so i can't help ya there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm in the process of switching mine, but the last coverage I had was segregated out into categories (i.e. it wasn't X amount of total coverage, it was X amount of jewlery, X amount of electronics, X amount of bike stuff, etc.)

I think I insured $15k worth of electronics, 10k worth of bike stuff, 10k worth of furniture, and some amount of misc. coverage (maybe another 15k?) for clothes, books, tools etc. All of this cost me $150 or $200 per year. It was through State Farm.

Be very cautious in the amount you insure for - when you actually go through and tabulate how much it would cost to replace everything, I think you'd be shocked. I figured $5k worth of electronics would be fine but once I started going through and taking into account stuff like my phone, answering machine, network cables, router, random equipment lying around, digital camera, and then take into account what it would cost to replace them at retail value (i.e. not online wholesalers, this is actually walking into Staples and walking out with everything you need).. I was up over 10k in no time. Just consider what it would cost to walk into JC Penny's and replace every piece of clothing you own right now. :eek:

Sucks that you lost some stuff :(

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Make sure you get "replacement value" insurance rather than "actual value" insurance. They will stick you the bone bigtime if you have "actual value" insurance and it only saves you a few bucks.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Echo said:
Make sure you get "replacement value" insurance rather than "actual value" insurance. They will stick you the bone bigtime if you have "actual value" insurance and it only saves you a few bucks.
:stupid:
This is absolutely key! It's the difference between getting a new bike and having to find a used replacement (or kick in your own cash)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You can get an online quote through Allstate in about 20 minutes. I think we were paying something like $14 a month. Beware, if you live in a rented mobile home in the middle of the desert you won't be able to get insurance.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
The good thing too is that many policies cover stuff like your bike getting stolen off of your car while you're in the liquor store grabbing some New Belgium Tripple for the post ride festivities. I think I used to pay about $17 / mo for renters in CO - you'll be a very happy camper should you ever need it again.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
I use State Farm but I'm not sure if they're in Cali. I've used them for years for my car but when I started renting 5 years ago they combined a policy for everything. I think it's about $20 more a month.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
I've always used Allstate. It's about 25 a month for, I think 50k in coverage for me.

Plus, they cover bicycles by default, up to $5000 per bike. That's a lot of stress relief when I'm travelling with bikes and I can't get a window seat in the restaraunt or whatever.

I should also mention I have a $500 deductible.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
BMXman said:
So I was wondering who has it and how much do you pay per month for how much coverage? We recently had a large amount of rainfall here in So Cal. and I found out my garage was not water proof. As a result I lost a lot of items to water damage:mumble:

Are there any companies in specific people can recommend?.... just trying to get any feedback that anyone may have as far as service and making claims....D
Um..I think you may actually have a case with your landlord being at fault here. Depends on the local renter's rights, but basically the landlord is legally resonsible for the roof and all walls to be leak-free and waterproof.

Unless you were warned and signed off on it in writing, the landlord is at fault here.

At least he would be here anyway.

More info for ya:

http://www.sentinelfairhousing.org/

California Civil Code Sections 1941 and 1942 define a landlord's responsibilities for repairs. Section 1941.1 requires landlords to provide the following:

Effective waterproofing and weather protection of the roof and outside walls, and unbroken doors and windows.

Plumbing, electricity, and gas facilities in good working order.

A reasonable amount of hot and cold running water, and a sewage disposal system.

Adequate and safe heating facilities.

Electrical lighting, with wiring and electrical equipment which conforms with the applicable law at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.

Floors, stairways and railing, maintained in good repair.

An adequate number of containers for garbage and rubbish.

Buildings and grounds which are free of rubbish, garbage, rodents, and other pests.

Furthermore, under a 1974 California Supreme Court Case, Green v. Superior Court, all leases and rental agreements are now deemed by law to include a warranty of habitability. This means, whether it is in the lease or not, the landlord is required to keep your unit in habitable condition at all times. "Habitable" means that the apartment conforms to the standards set forth in CCP 1941.1 as listed above. Even if the tenant knew when he/she moved in that a unit was below code, the tenant still has the right to demand that it be brought up to habitable standards.

http://www.rentlaw.com/renterinsurance.htm

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
bomberz1qr20 said:
Um..I think you may actually have a case with your landlord being at fault here. Depends on the local renter's rights, but basically the landlord is legally resonsible for the roof and all walls to be leak-free and waterproof.

Unless you were warned and signed off on it in writing, the landlord is at fault here.

At least he would be here anyway.

More info for ya:

http://www.sentinelfairhousing.org/

California Civil Code Sections 1941 and 1942 define a landlord's responsibilities for repairs. Section 1941.1 requires landlords to provide the following:

Effective waterproofing and weather protection of the roof and outside walls, and unbroken doors and windows.

Plumbing, electricity, and gas facilities in good working order.

A reasonable amount of hot and cold running water, and a sewage disposal system.

Adequate and safe heating facilities.

Electrical lighting, with wiring and electrical equipment which conforms with the applicable law at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.

Floors, stairways and railing, maintained in good repair.

An adequate number of containers for garbage and rubbish.

Buildings and grounds which are free of rubbish, garbage, rodents, and other pests.

Furthermore, under a 1974 California Supreme Court Case, Green v. Superior Court, all leases and rental agreements are now deemed by law to include a warranty of habitability. This means, whether it is in the lease or not, the landlord is required to keep your unit in habitable condition at all times. "Habitable" means that the apartment conforms to the standards set forth in CCP 1941.1 as listed above. Even if the tenant knew when he/she moved in that a unit was below code, the tenant still has the right to demand that it be brought up to habitable standards.

http://www.rentlaw.com/renterinsurance.htm
ah good to know...time to pay him a visit:sneaky:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
BMXman said:
Whatever you do, DON'T withhold rent. Get the city/county invloved, have an inspector come see it, and then go after hime to fix it.

If you withhold rent, he can boot you before you get into court and prove you had a reason to.

Read those sites, TONS of info.

Good luck!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
BMXman said:

I pay under $20 and I have coverage up to like $15,000. I use USAA but as far as I know you have to have a close relative in the military or that is a vet.

Either way, its good to have. I have a lot of theft in my hood, not so much water damage. You'd probably want higher coverage if its water dmg you're worried about.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BMXman said:
It's possible that the conditions don't apply to your garage, as it's not an inhabited space...

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Try USAA if you have any sort of military connection in your family. My dad served in the Navy for a few years, so by virtue of being his daughter, I can be insured by them (not under his policy or anything like that.)

My renter's insurance with them is so cheap I don't even remember how much it costs. I also got special computer coverage.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
:stupid: We had renter's insurance before we bought our house through a smaller local company (Liberty Mutual Insurance) and they were great!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Try USAA if you have any sort of military connection in your family. My dad served in the Navy for a few years, so by virtue of being his daughter, I can be insured by them (not under his policy or anything like that.)
You're sure being a pirate yourself had nothing to do with it?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BurlyShirley said:
I use USAA, and its like $7 a month.
:stupid:

I have $35k replacement value and it's like $8 a month. Since I haven't ever had a claim, I think it goes up every year or so for free too. I know they bumped it from $25k to $35k at my 2 year mark.