Quantcast

Renter's Insurance

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
State Farm just dropped me for making exactly one claim against my policy in about 8 years, (~$1500 for a stolen bike, almost a year ago). I need a new policy. Who is good?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
When I rented I found that Farmers actually did a good job as far as Renters coverage and rates. They even covered me when I lived above the Bike Shop. Allstate was pretty good to. Great Claims dept, but expensive for even a basic policy.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
State Farm has been awesome for me. Paid out way more than I've ever paid in. 4 car pile-up on the auto. Stolen bike on the renter. Bummer. I've never used anyone else.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
State Farm paid me a lot more than I gave them for that policy. Of course, they dropped me for it, so that does seem pretty scammy.

Thanks everybody
I didn't get dropped after the Vette, but my rates went through the roof and getting them to pay me was a bitch (geico). I miss my USAA coverage (used to have renters, auto, moto, life). Been with Progressive since the wreck, but haven't had a claim so who knows. :rofl:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Ready for some bad news? Now that one insurance company has dropped you for renters for having a claim - nobody else will issue you a policy either. 3 years and you'll be able to get one again.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not anything easy. Both my parents qualify through their dads, so I guess if I were to convince them to switch then I could too, but that hardly seems worth it.
It's actually pretty easy, it sounds like you qualify as any service members family is eligible from what I understand. Worth looking into it, my buddy has had some wicked claims through USAA with awesome service and payout.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
State farm did the same shit after having them for a decade with 3 cars the entire time, full coverage and zero claims. Made a single $1K claim for a break in. I'll never use those cocksuckers again.

Im about the give my current all state agent the boot as she routinely fails to update my bank with the policy info and I get notices from them about not having insurance. They send her letters to which she never replies.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Have a policy with Allstate now, for about $1 more per month than I was paying State Farm.