Quantcast

renting bikes

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm heading out to tucson in a month or so and I'm thinking about renting a bike for a few days, however I'd like to rent a specific bike. My father (who I'll be visiting in Tucson) has a CF Giant something or other which will be good enough for me for a few days, but if I had the chance to rent a CF Felt, I'd love to do that.

Seems like shops that rent bikes are few and far between... if I can find one, is it reasonable to ask for a specific bike... or are they likely to rent out bottom of the line crap bikes?

Anyone have experience renting bikes?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Some shops will have a demo fleet of very decent bikes. However, the kicker is that you need to put the whole amount on your CC while you are demo'ing the bike.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I assume that is like a security deposit? As long as I only have to have room on my CC I can swing it... I just can't make the payments on it right now.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a Felt F5C - it's a slight jump up from my current roadie in every department, and has been my dream bike for a couple of years now. I'm not in a position to be replacing my steel roadie at this point, but I'd love to get a few rides in on that baby if I could... kind of a vacation treat to myself.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you find a dealer with a demo fleet, you'll still have the challenge of finding the model and size you want. Not impossible but pretty tough.

I've rented DH and XC mtb's a few times. They are almost always pretty clapped-out hoopty rides, and I rarely care - I'm just glad to be on a bike in a place I've never ridden. If the trip is about riding, I bring a bike.

In any case, I'd suggest taking a few basic measurements from your current bike to get a rental adjusted in the ballpark. Dimensions like pedal-saddle (at full pedal extension), bar-saddle tip, bar height, that kind of thing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not that this is relevant, but River City Bikes in Portland has an entire fleet of Roubaixs, which is why I know about their CC deal.

But every shop is different. Maybe a shop has just one bike in your size and all the require is your driver's license.