Quantcast

Rep. Michele Bachmann is fvcking insane.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Right, and you are more than free to believe/value that. However, when your beliefs infringe upon someone else's rights to do what they want with their own bodies, there is a problem. No one says you HAVE to have an abortion, just because it is legal. However, if someone i know is raped and becomes pregnant, your belief DOES infringe upon their ability to do as they wish. There-in lies the problem.
currently, is there legislation in place which puts my beliefs ahead of any woman's purported right to abort? i don't believe there is.

if anyone could bitch about the lack of balance, it would be someone on my side.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Your belifs should have absolutely nothing to do with a completely unconnected womans desire to give birth or not...why are your panties wadded up because Mary Jane Spreadsherlegs wants to get laid on Saturday night, but 3 months later wants to dump the evidence of said humping?

Why do you even care? You arent that important...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
currently, is there legislation in place which puts my beliefs ahead of any woman's purported right to abort? i don't believe there is.

if anyone could bitch about the lack of balance, it would be someone on my side.
I never said there was. I said that enacting legislation to do so would constitute the removal of a civil liberty.

Lack of balance my ass. Adding legislation to appease one group (the religious right in this case), legislation that REMOVES rights, is an abomination. I am all for legislation for safety reasons etc, but the moment is REMOVES civil liberties is the moment that those legislators need to be removed from power.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I never said there was. I said that enacting legislation to do so would constitute the removal of a civil liberty.

Lack of balance my ass. Adding legislation to appease one group (the religious right in this case), legislation that REMOVES rights, is an abomination. I am all for legislation for safety reasons etc, but the moment is REMOVES civil liberties is the moment that those legislators need to be removed from power.
ok, then: what civil liberties have been removed by enacting legislation which kowtows to the religious right?

don't make me get all patriot act up in here

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ok, then: what civil liberties have been removed by enacting legislation which kowtows to the religious right?

don't make me get all patriot act up in here
You should be careful here.

The Patriot Act is non-religious but I don't see a lot of Christians at Gitmo.

No American today accepts face value. Everyone knows if you have an unpopular agenda, you better hide it under something that will be acceptable, like under the banner of liberty and security.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
The Patriot Act is non-religious but I don't see a lot of Christians at Gitmo.
point is, people decry the patriot act b/c of the widely held fear it will usurp our rights, but it hasn't.

not that waiting for something bad to happen is any kind of way to run a country. <cough>

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Restricting stem cell research...
you know better than this: it's about allocating further federal funds toward embryonic stem cell research, you smear merchant marine. private entities can go nuts
jbp said:
Restricting distribution of information about birth control...
so my kindergartner should be reviewing this why?
jbp said:
[not making distinction between rule making and legislation]
huh?
jpb said:
FCC nonsense about saying fvck on the air...
public decency much? why not just relieve myself at the park when playing with my daughter? just b/c there's other kids around (and their parents) doesn't mean i'm making them look - i'm facing a tree!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
point is, people decry the patriot act b/c of the widely held fear it will usurp our rights, but it hasn't.

not that waiting for something bad to happen is any kind of way to run a country. <cough>
It has indeed. Wiretapping without a warrant, throwing people into Gitmo without charges (see latest case of charges dropped, but we won't release these individuals anyways) et al are removals of civil liberties.

As mentioned by JBP stem cell research fund blockages also kowtow to the right as you put it.

Also as mentioned before, the fact that anyone even thinks it is ok to possibly implement these types of laws is absurd.

"It's ok to do it, but you can't do it with federal money as the religious nutters would be up in arms!" This qualifies as kowtowing to the right.
''This allows us to explore the promise and potential of stem cell research,'' Mr. Bush said then, ''without crossing a fundamental moral line by providing taxpayer funding that would sanction or encourage further destruction of human embryos.''

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i thought we were talking about uterine rights as usurped by the religious right, not a bunch of less-than-human browns who were sold into slavery by a rival tribe looking to get paid.

cessation of federal funding for embryonic stem cell research is a victory for the right, i will concede

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
No, we were talking about irresponsible legislation that removes citizen's civil liberties in order to pander to your base in middle america.

Also, we were talking about crazy eyes bachmann, the most clueless and crazy of the talking heads.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
cessation of federal funding for embryonic stem cell research is a victory for the right, i will concede
I would be more than happy to restrict the funding to cure right wing illnesses, but it's not that simple.

Much the way Bush gave public praise to McCain for passing the GI Bill he voted against, it would not surprise me to see a Republican take credit if a major cancer breakthrough came about through stem cell research.

"See, I told you liberals stem cell research was a good idea."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Your logic implies that the majority of Americans have not been spied upon.

You're right.

But I worry about the minority whose civil rights have been usurped because one day I could part of the "minority".

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
He got to remain Muslim? So now you advocate forced Lutheranization??? Presbyterianization??

The lawyer thing, well, yeah. If we can fix that we should.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
so what rights did he lose? he was never charged, & got cut loose w/ some nice parting gifts, and got to remain both a muslim and a lawyer.
So we should be able to snatch anyone up at any time because they aren't Christian? What ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? Is it now "innocent (unless Muslim, then you are guilty regardless) until proven non-Christian, then we might consider you still guilty"?

I would say his being captured and held were a removal of his rights.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
according to him, he was guilty of being muslim.

again, according to him

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
So a bundle of X^2 cells that is less complex than a moo cow is human life to be protected at all costs?

I'm gonna solve all this right here and now

You're wrong. :D
if i'm wrong, i'd like to err on the side of life, not break out the water crackers & beluga caviar knife:

you lot are harvesters of sorrow, making the baby jebbush cry

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Stinkle, if your wife or daughter was raped, and impregnated, would you want her to bear the child of her rapist?

What if delivering the baby would put the mother at a serious health risk? Which life would you choose, the unborn baby or the wife/daughter that you love? These would be illegal also under a ban...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
you lot are harvesters of sorrow, making the baby jebbush cry
How did you know I grew up in florida?

This discussion usually goes like this but I'm curious..... I see a flatout ban on third trimesters as perfectly reasonable. One should damn well have a decision made by then on the impacts of each path.

But you genuinely believe that the complexity of a human becomes what it is at the first cell split?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So when my daughter was conceived, there were actually twins. At the first ultrasound the doctor pointed out one was developed and the othe had stopped. Shortly afterwards, the second was reabsorbed into my wifes body.

If life begins at conception, then my wifes womb could be considered a murderer.

Spiritually, life "begins" well before conception. But humanity begins when a fetus could be considered self sustaining based on the development of organs and a brain.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Stinkle, if your wife or daughter was raped, and impregnated, would you want her to bear the child of her rapist?

What if delivering the baby would put the mother at a serious health risk? Which life would you choose, the unborn baby or the wife/daughter that you love? These would be illegal also under a ban...
i expressed this last month or so

wait, here it is: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3044152&postcount=8
Defenstrated said:
an individual being and a congregate of cells are two different things
yes, but the case of human life, you can't have one w/o the other

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
"to be as realistic as possible, people like me have to understand others don't hold the same value system, and one of the worst things we can do is attempt to foist it upon others."

Your views are typical right wing male. You have no idea how traumatic a sexual assault is, yet you have no trouble advocating that a woman carry the child to full term that may be produced by the assault. Nice.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
"to be as realistic as possible, people like me have to understand others don't hold the same value system, and one of the worst things we can do is attempt to foist it upon others."

Your views are typical right wing male. You have no idea how traumatic a sexual assault is, yet you have no trouble advocating that a woman carry the child to full term that may be produced by the assault. Nice.
correct. as it turns out, neither of us has a fertile uterus and so it must follow from your logic than any opinion can only be shades of wrong. i don't suppose you'd even consider the opinions from the countless number of women who regret having an abortion, now would you?

i try to express one moderate opinion, & you dig in deeper to your unwavering extremism

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
All I am saying is that if the technology is available, it should be legal for women to take advantage of it. I have never been party to an abortion (I have 3 kids...) but it should be available if needed.

I am not an extremist by any stretch of the imagination.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
correct. as it turns out, neither of us has a fertile uterus and so it must follow from your logic than any opinion can only be shades of wrong. i don't suppose you'd even consider the opinions from the countless number of women who regret having an abortion, now would you?

i try to express one moderate opinion, & you dig in deeper to your unwavering extremism
I don't suppose you'd even consider the opinions from the countless number of women who don't regret having an abortion, now would you?

'round n' 'round the ol' mulberry bush...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
yes, yes she is insane, and here's how it happened
It all began when the socially conscious couple could no longer turn their backs on the overwhelming needs of foster children in their state. Consequently, they began expanding their young family to include foster teenage daughters. (To date they have sponsored more than 20 girls.)

naples sun times
thread.close();