Quantcast

Repair Stand

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
WITH THERE BEING SO MANY OUT THERE. WHICH ONE IS THE BEST FOR WORKING ON DOWNHILL BIKES, AS WELL AS BEING ABLE TO BE BROKEN DOWN AND TAKEN TO THE RACES?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. STRAPS FROM THE CEILING JUST DONT' DO IT ANYMORE.

Z

zerodegreec

I agree, my ps-5 stand is garbage for DH bikes. I have to tie the back tire down to keep the front off the ground to work on it... The best stand is a hard call. the price is so high for anything of any quality... if you find somthing let me know.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
... the ultimate pro. It folds up, it's got a great warranty and customer service (one of the ultimate guys hangs out on the boards, maybe only MTBR...). I actually don't have any experience with one, but mine is coming in any day now.

At interbike, they had a 60-70 lbs low-rider hanging on one for 3 days straight, and it handled that no problem.

R.T.

Chimp
Nov 23, 2001
Everywhere
Go with the Ultimate Pro stand. I've had one for almost 3 years and it's been great. I've found it much more stable than the lower level Park ones, except for the silver Park shop stand with the weighted base but that costs close to $300. I like the clamp mech on the Ultimate better as well.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by Nobody
I've used Ultimate stands since the day they came out - still won't use any other folding rack.

I've serviced literally hundreds of DH bikes (NCS at Big Bear 3 times, Mammoth twice - race support).

Also, Rosarita-Ensenada tandem support...wheee.
How high do they extend r?

My Park too one right now, its just the PRS -1 or something like that, its like working on the floor, I have tos ite down to work on it.....

2melow

Chimp
Apr 19, 2002
Fort Collins, Colorado
We had this COlorado Custom bike which weighs over 70 pounds in our Pro Repair stand for 4 days without removing it at Interbike to prove a point - our stands are absolutely solid and do not flex like the competition.

This repair stand also weighs 12 pounds and folds up super compact. A little 45 pound downhill bike will pose no problems for the pro stand. 100% solid, never have to worry about another repair stand again.

Attachments

R

RideMonkey

While I love the clamp on my park - its just not very stable when flipping the bike around in different positions. I always have to anchor it against something. I'd like to try that Ultimate stand.

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
He,.. I don't race so it's not a problem. Anyhow, I'd like to get a stand at some point. It's more practical. You can move it around and stuff...

R.T.

Chimp
Nov 23, 2001
Everywhere
At the top of the page click on "User CP"

That will give you the threads you've posted on as well as private messages (PM).

Anyway, I'll just ask here. Do you have any kind of tips to keep an Ultimate Pro from creeking and squeeking a ton when working on it? I know it's got to be coming from the interface between the plastic joints and the ano'd tubes. It's always done this for about 3 years since I bought it. It's about the only thing I could ever fault about the stand. Still much better than any of the other portables I've used.

Any lubes, tips, tricks, to quiet it some?

Thanks

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Originally posted by 2melow
We had this COlorado Custom bike which weighs over 70 pounds in our Pro Repair stand for 4 days without removing it at Interbike to prove a point - our stands are absolutely solid and do not flex like the competition.

This repair stand also weighs 12 pounds and folds up super compact. A little 45 pound downhill bike will pose no problems for the pro stand. 100% solid, never have to worry about another repair stand again.
I wouldn't want to say anything bad. They are better than the Park folding stands but, I worked at a shop that used one for like two years as it's main repair stand and the arm did bend down. When you really look at it. That said a lot. They used it for two years, working on mostly DH bikes. If it took 2 years of bike shop use to hurt it it would last forever under the average Joe.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by PGR
I use two bits of string hanging from hooks in the ceilling...
hey, i use a set up like that. but instead, i use one long piece of rope and a tree. though, i'm now looking for an Ultimate online...anyone know where to get one?

I've had an Ultimate since they first came out, also, and it may be one of the best purchases we ever made. It's light and compact enough to take on your weekend rides, or even to a distant trailhead where you made need to do repairs. It's not the "big" Park stand, but then you aren't going to take the big Park with you, unless you've got a 1-ton flatbed...

The base on the Ultimate opens wide enough to stabilize even heavy pigs, and the "clutch" mechanism is simple and effective for setting the attitude of the bike but then moving it to get another angle. It will lift the bike pretty darn high, too.

Having one already, I haven't taken a close look at the newer, less costly Ultimates, but the photos of them look darn good! You may not need to go full zoot: the version with the spin-clamp looks real nice.:monkey: