Quantcast

Repairing a Fox DHX 5.0

BeeKay

Chimp
Aug 27, 2017
I bought a KHS and I think it's an '06 or '07. Anyhow the rear shock is obviously in need of service.
The shock is a Fox DHX 5.0 Coil
I did a few searches on the topic and most of what I found was older threads, so I'm thinking I'll just start a fresh thread.
The shock felt like it had some air in it because at the top of the stroke it's squishy and there's no damping, so I thought I'd add oil and I loosened the top nut and one thing led to another, as usual and I made the decision to replace a few seals while it's on my bench..
I've read as much as I could take in and watched a couple videos and I'm seeing that guys are having mixed luck with this process. But I'm going to try to do it myself.
As long as it hasnt been tinkered with before and been assembled improperly - I'm assuming it hasn't been... and if I put it back together the way it originally, with the right parts, it ought to work right.
I do have an O-ring kit
So here's my main question:
I can't find any spec on the depth of the IFP - Does anyone have that info?
The shims and all the tiny parts look sort of challenging, but I just need to be sure it's clean and in the right order when I re-assemble it,
Thanks for any help.
I also would like to know of a good source for fluid. I have been reading that 10 wt synthetic is the stuff to buy

BeeKay

Chimp
Aug 27, 2017
Thanks - That's incredibly useful info
I called Push but not Avy and it's like you say - It costs a lot.
I'm gonna give it my best shot.

BeeKay

Chimp
Aug 27, 2017
Hey
I had to put the DHX project on the shelf for a few weeks. I have a lot of projects that are disassembled and if i get involved in too many things cluttering up my workbench, it starts driving me nuts and I start losing parts and screwing up.
But I'll be getting the ball rolling on this pretty soon, and something that I need is info on the shim stack sequence.
I think that I got an extra one of the smallest size and it's hard to figure out where it came from. Everything else about it has been fairly self-explanatory.
If anyone reading this can refer me to a diagram or just give me some info that would be enormously appreciated.
I really intend to put some effort into studying this before I reassemble it, because it sounds like there may also be some mods that might work out well.
So anyhow thanks in advance to anyone who can chime in with some helpful info