Quantcast

Repairing SPD Tensioning Mechanism?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Have any of you successfully repaired one of these?
it ‘seems’ simple, but perhaps I have to pretension (or detension?) the spring in order to install the missing mechanism?
pics

missing tensioner

09FBF89C-6668-42BF-A80F-3FA3AF929941.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Spring probably has to be tensioned with the part in place.

I've some old 540's or maybe even XT's I can send in your direction if you want?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I remember doing it at the bike shop. It's a real b*tch with having to tension the spring, just as you'd think.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
A hole that large and I'd get a tire patch from the auto parts store... they're like $4 and gimungous. Patch it on the inside. I've had luck doing that with shit that looks like that. You gonna make it to Mojab, kimosabe?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Got the hall pass...but there are some contingencies that you might scoff at (I have to scout some e-bike legal trails for some older Peruvians that are coming up in May).
I might have to just do that by asking the ebike rental places.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Got the hall pass...but there are some contingencies that you might scoff at (I have to scout some e-bike legal trails for some older Peruvians that are coming up in May).
I might have to just do that by asking the ebike rental places.
I need to go snag a photo of the local bookface trail conditions page that had a massive anti-e-moped/moab thread recently.

Plus I still need to go pull those pedals out, I definitely have some though.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I repaired some M520s and my VP 133-DH for similar rock strikes several times. Re-attaching the tensioning mechanism isn't much of a chore. Seeing you managed to rip the screw from the body, you'll obvously will need a donor pedal for the spares. But again, it won't be much of a hassle.