Quantcast

Replacement Cranksets?

ryangt

Chimp
Nov 5, 2009
Alice Springs, Australia
Anyone done a crankset on their 29er? I have the stock shimano stuff that came with the bike, but im not really into it, i am thinking along the lines of raceface, anyone out there have experiance with their stuff on a 29er?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Why would it be different on a 29er than any other wheel size?

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
If you're gonna spend $$ to swap out a perfectly functional crankset (don't get me wrong - I have an aversion to Shimano as well) then my only advice is to get a 5-bolt compact crankset so that you've got better gearing options. Options include Middleburn, Surly, or maybe you could score a NOS RaceFace Turbine. My experience with the new external bearing RaceFace cranks is that they have a lot of drag.
- Joe

ryangt

Chimp
Nov 5, 2009
Alice Springs, Australia
i try to wear the 29er socks as much as possible, but im really needing to replace this set, or at least the outter ring, its been used for over a year now and ive really put alot of wear on it in that time.

I only ask because i have never had a 26inch bike its been 29er since i got into this sport and i have only recently gotten into upgrades. Is their a special way to figure out what i need?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Cranks are the same for either wheelsize, although you might choose different-sized rings or cogs because the larger wheel gives a taller (harder to push) effective gearing.

If all you need is a new outer chainring, just get a single chainring (or a new set of all three while you're at it) for $5-50, instead of a whole new crankset...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
"Best," maybe, but is it really necessary to change a cluster of 8-9 cogs which probably have pretty evenly-spread wear compared to the front end, or the granny gear if (as it sounds like) he's been pushing hard in the big ring most of the time...?

Arbitrarily replacing them all at the same time is getting rid of at least some parts before their time. And it just seems wasteful if you're not a pro relying on the equipment to make your living winning races.

That said, yeah, an all-new drivetrain is going to run smoothly for sure...

Personally, I change rings (or cassettes) when they're bent or otherwise broken, or if the teeth have worn to nubs or shark-tooth shapes... Hopefully before they lead to nasty chainsuck, but maybe afterward. I also check my chain with a wear gauge and replace it when it indicates.