Quantcast

Replacement for ancient Airport wifi access point?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Current internet configuration is Xfinity cable modem/router which is wired with cat5e around the house.

One of those wired connections is plugged into an ancient 1st generation Airport Express that my wife bought forever ago. We use it to extend the wifi provided by the xfinity box downstairs in the exercise/mudroom/garage. But it's slow and I'd like something faster.

What's a good simple access point which can be configured the same way:
  • hardwired back to the xfinity box (bridge mode for attached wireless clients)
  • using that xfinity box for dhcp and just copying the same wireless access name

Or I'm open to suggestions on other possible topology.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Either way will work - either the xfinity box will do the dhcp stuff or the new "router/ap" will.

With a new AP, you might not even need to use the xfinity router for anything but passing the òutside internet connection over to the new router.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
just let it pass through and have a new router do everything if you can figure out what credentials you need
you might not even need to use the xfinity router for anything but passing the òutside internet connection over to the new router
I would indeed do this, and this is how to do it:

I bet that Asus on its own will provide coverage throughout your house.