Quantcast

Replacement for my 2013 Fox Float CTD?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My 2013 Turner Burner rear shock is feeling tired.

I've done air sleeve services regularly, but I think it's long overdue for a bigger service - if that's worthwhile.

Debating the cost of replacement versus service by 3rd party.

What's a good potential replacement? The stock float shock is a M rebound L compression, can that easily be replicated from a store bought shock? I need a 7.5x2" replacement.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Check whether Fox still have the parts available for it. My GF had a 2011 Fox RP23 which broke, and Fox no longer had the parts to fix it.

We replaced it with a Manitou McLeod. It's relatively inexpensive and works well, but I'd hesitate to recommend it. You can get a high volume air can if you need it, and I believe it's user-serviceable (not that I've tried yet).

However, it has a small flaw which drives me bananas: The rebound adjuster has no detents (clicks). It sits on top of the compression/lockout lever, which gets used quite frequently, so over the course of a few rides, it finds its way undone and you get to play a game of buckaroo. It wouldn't be quite so bad if you could simply turn it back to 3 clicks from closed, but no, you have to remember it's 1/3rd of a turn or whatever.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had no end of frustration with the McLeod. Supposedly the fox hardware would fit, nope. Knocking. I ordered the manitou hardware, it knocked too. I took caliper measurements and sent them to the company, along with a letter saying they need to either supply me the right hardware (that doesn't knock) or buy the shock back. Correctly speced hardware showed up. But the thing is harsh as hell and I have to run super-low PSI, like around 80, to get anywhere near full travel. Supposedly the King Can might help, but it's been a nightmare through all of it and I don't really feel like doing whatever, revalving, etc., to make it work. Bike is a Pivot 429SL. I got another closeout DPS, so I have one Avy tuned DPS that works pretty well and a DPS with a functional lockout remote for races. Even the stock DPS worked pretty well on that (4" travel) bike.

Yeah, the lack of detents for rebound is asinine.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
sharpie, or for extra durability use a scribe to make yourself a line that lines up with another line.
It moves too easy, you can crank it down, but then you can't move it. If you brush against it, run a frame bag, etc., it moves position too easily. I also like to be able to make slight adjustments for terrain, like where you'd go plus or minus one or two clicks, depending on the terrain and day. It's just ultimately stupid. Clicks are not an "inherent problem" that needs to be solved.