Quantcast

Replacing HD - How to copy ALL data to new drive?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Hi all,
My laptop's hard drive is fast approaching full capacity and I'd like to install a new larger drive. I'd also like to swap ALL data that's on the old drive, so that when I install the new drive it'll boot up the same with all the same settings, drivers, software, documents, etc. At work our IT dept uses some software to create a drive "image" which (*I think*) does what I'm looking to do, but I thought I'd post this here and see if anyone has any experience with doing this.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Make a boot disk so you can boot the laptop with the new drive and restore the image from the old drive.

Mike
Could I use TrueImage to "clone" one drive to another, so the new drive would already include everything on it and I could just swap drives once I've "cloned" the old drive?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Also, how does True Image compare to Symantec Ghost? I just went by our IT dept and that's what they use for creating disc images.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Could I use TrueImage to "clone" one drive to another, so the new drive would already include everything on it and I could just swap drives once I've "cloned" the old drive?
You would use their Migrate Easy utility. The tricky part is hooking up a second drive in the laptop. There are some special cables for it but it may be cheaper to buy a usb external drive.

To use TrueImage you would create an image to an external USB drive or network drive. Install the new disk and then boot from a TrueImage boot disk to rebuild the volume.

I've used both Ghost and TrueImage and like TrueImage much better. One really cool feature is that you can "mount" an image like another drive and browse with Explorer.

Mike

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Hey just found this...

http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=reg&id=1023

Never used it but it has good reviews (cnet.com) You can clone your old drive to the new one and then keep your old drive for an external usb drive after. Pretty neat idea and only about $50.

I still recommend TrueImage for backups.

Looking at a screenshot of Apricorns cloning software and it is identical to Acronis TrueImage.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There's a lot of free trial software you could use as a one-time thing.

http://www.drive-image.com/

That EZ-Up thing Dartman linked to is handy but an external enclosure for the drive will run less than $50 and then you can use some free software.

To be honest, if your computer is more than 6 months old and/or you have a lot of stuff installed on it, it might be worth it to do a fresh operating system install. The speed difference will be very noticeable.

That depends, of course, on how tolerant your wife is of disruptions due to computers. I have my girlfriend pretty much worn down to the point where she only gets semi-irritated when I'm being a geek and have our network or one of the computers torn apart :D