Quantcast

Replacing my truck seats? Truck Monkeys?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
After 80,000 miles in the truck, my seats are getting worn out.

I wanted to replace them with something a little more aggressive, maybe something down the road that I could slap some 5 points into.

Anyone ever replaced the seats in their car/truck? How much of a cluster am I getting myself into?

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
I read somewhere that you shouldn't go with a 5 point unless you're fully caged.

Depending on your electronics attached to the seats it shouldn't be too bad.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
replacing the seats in a car is usually easy. unless you have airbags in the seat.
i put two Sparco Milan's in my truck and ditched the center console.
putting a 5point in a truck can be tricky depending if its a regular or extended cab.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
5-points are not only non-DOT legal but if you roll with 5-points and no cage youre pretty much guaranteed a broken neck. Get some nice DD style buckets and run your stock belts.

As far as install, you can buy premade brackets for pretty much any seat and vehicle combo.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I had them in my CJ, but I had to weld in a tie down bar for them.

So I will stick with the stock belts and the new seats. Thanks!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Smittybilt used to make a mini truck bench that was 2 of their super seats with a fold down center.

Something like this usually comes with mounting brackets to fit, or you can swipe the rails off your old seats and attach them.

fatnslow

Chimp
May 10, 2010
I'm all for the budget route - if you already have captains chairs in your truck, you can pick up some nice seats out of a 'sporty' car in the junkyard and weld 'em to the existing brackets. Super cheap way to get nice, supportive seats.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
BurlyShirley thinks it's stupid to do ANYTHING to your truck if it isn't a showpiece. :D
I just think aesthetics are pretty much a waste of time and money.

If your truck is uncomfortable to ride in or causing you H-roids or something, by all means, swap out the seats.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Seats are just getting worn out, tattered, filthy.
I guess I could do seat covers, but that's just treating the symptom, not the disease.

tylerpier137

Monkey
Mar 29, 2007
ventura
If your cab is crushed down, you can't duck to the side because the 5 or 4 point is holding your shoulders perfectly in place.
Exactly.

Stock style seat belts are designed to allow the wearer to move some what side to side. 5-points don't allow movement so they are a bad idea with a cage.
Really though, you're pretty gay if you have 5 points in your truck and don't do stuff like this in it.