Quantcast

Replacing solid front with front suspension help

Eville

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
I have a raleigh mountain back from around 1999-2000 with a solid front fork. I would like to replace the font fork with a soft one. So my question is, is there anything or any tips i should know about measurements to look for so i get the right size? also, can you recommend a decent pair of forks to me? i dont need anything really fancy, just something that isnt junk. thanks for the help.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
You don't need a pair of forks for just one bike...

One fork will do the job.
You're supposed to help the beginners...:disgust1:

Anyways, What are you going to use the fork for? And the only thing you really need to be sure of is if the new fork will fit your current wheel. And you can't go crazy with the amount of travel. Probly...3 to 4 inches max. And you'll need to be sure that the steerer tube is the right size for your bike (most likely 1 1/8 inches). Just pick up a fork that you like and have a shop install it for you.Or better yet, go talk a to a shop mechanic first to get the info you need and then go buy one and bring to the shop later.

MI62887

Chimp
Jun 12, 2008
You're supposed to help the beginners...:disgust1:

Anyways, What are you going to use the fork for? And the only thing you really need to be sure of is if the new fork will fit your current wheel. And you can't go crazy with the amount of travel. Probly...3 to 4 inches max. And you'll need to be sure that the steerer tube is the right size for your bike (most likely 1 1/8 inches). Just pick up a fork that you like and have a shop install it for you.Or better yet, go talk a to a shop mechanic first to get the info you need and then go buy one and bring to the shop later.
Solid advice. Go see your LBS and they can steer you in the right direction.

Eville

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
thanks for the help guys who helped. I think im just going to have to get a bike though with a larger frame. im 5'11.5 and i think i have a 20inch frame. a lot of times when im pedaling my toes hit the pavement. im already developing a hole in the top of my vibrams from it:rant:

Uphiller

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
A hole in the TOPS of your shoes? I would love to see how you pedal a bike!

What's said above is right on. If you stick with your current frame, I would't go higher than 80mm on the suspension. An older 63mm would probably work better as your frame wasn't designed for the higher front end. Note: the higher front end may help with your shoe-issue.

Eville

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
yeah in the top. When i ride i have the arch of my foot on the pedal with my toes pointed slightly down. when ever i turn, my inside toe sometimes hits the pavement and bends under.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
For the sake of your toes, head over to leelikesbikes.com and pick up his book on riding technique, or order the Fundamentals DVD from fluidride.com. If your toes are getting anywhere near the ground when you're cornering, you need to spend some time learning how to ride that thing before you waste money tricking out an 8 year old Raleigh.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
For the sake of your toes, head over to leelikesbikes.com and pick up his book on riding technique, or order the Fundamentals DVD from fluidride.com. If your toes are getting anywhere near the ground when you're cornering, you need to spend some time learning how to ride that thing before you waste money tricking out an 8 year old Raleigh.
He doesn't need to buy a whole bunch of stuff to learn how to ride right. Though it'll help, don't feel you need to get it. Just ask questions. But for turning, you should have your inside pedal (the one you're leaning towards) at the 12'o'clock position. Straight up. That way, you can lean a lot more over and corner quicker (Although make sure your tires can handle this, otherwise you'll be getting acquainted with the ground in a manner you won't like :bonk:)