Quantcast

Replacing the Chameleon

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I'm on my second year riding a Chameleon. This is basically my do-it-all bike. I absolutely love this bike. It's adaptable to almost everything. I can hike the seat and go on long rides, or I can dunk it and freeride all day long...well sorta.

Recently though, I've noticed some stiffness and pain in my knees after riding this bike. In particular, when I do drops and such, I feel really stiff afterwards. I know people say that if you're smooth, land right....etc....etc...that it doesn't bother them, but I'm telling you it bothers me. I switched to riding from running years ago because of knee problems, and it seems that they're once again taking a beating they don't like.

So, what I'm wondering is, will a steel frame provide enough cush to dampen the blows (doubtful, but it's still a thought)? OR, are there any FS frames with similar geometry to the Cham? I know there are hundreds of DS/4X bikes, but they all seem to be too slack for trail riding. On the other hand, most trail bikes seem a bit too steep for freeriding/DH.

What I want is something with 3-4" of travel, a relatively slack HA, and the ability to raise and lower the seat to my heart's content. TT between 22.75 and 23.4 is ideal. I love the stiff rear end of the HT, so I don't want to totally give that up. I just want something a little cushier.

My knees thank you.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I rode a chameleon for a couple of years and retired it for a steel frame. I like the steel a lot better because it does seem to a little easier on the knees and such. In other words, a steel hardtail may be just what you need IMO.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Maybe before doing anything else you should find out why your knee is hurting. Did you start cocking one foot in on the pedals, are you riding more and farther with your seat low, did you start riding with a heavier camelback, are your crank arm or pedal spindle bent? I notice that I get knee pain if I do longer urban rides with the seat down low and I'm bouncing off stuff all the way but if I hike the seat up and only lower it a couple times during the ride to hit a stunt then bump it up again I'm okay. Going full suspension won't help you get better leg extension with the seat down, and it won't correct some bad habit that you've just recently learned like your foot position on the pedal. Maybe you could demo a bike for a weekend and decide if full suspension will really help or not. If you've just go the itch to upgrade then by all means do it but it's not a guarantee that your knees will stop hurting.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
A Balfa Belair would do the trick for you - 4.5" of travel with an air shock - aluminum front triangle with a good solid trail bike head tube angle - can accept a 5" single crown fork - cromoly rear triangle that accepts up to a 2.35 tire easily and possibly even a 2.4" if you wanted to go that wide in the rear.

Check the Buy and Sell forum and have a look at Jozz's frame that's for sale - it's a great frame and a great deal.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
A steel frame, esp. one overbuilt to take abuse, won't make a significant differance IMHO. Get a full-suss.

MD

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
I've been wondering about the same thing myself. I'd really (REALLY) like to get the Rail but unfortunately it has interrupted seat tube, which means you can't move the seat alot. Same for the Enduro SX.

What does that leave? Probably more trail oriented bikes like the 5Spot and friends.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
I second the SX idea,

It is true that i got issues with seatpost adjustments...and this is a big compromise for me...

Solutions?

Two seatposts....one for XC/trails and one for tough stuff...

or

Titec Knock Scoper post (telescopic...DH strenght)

or

compromise with seat height.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
I'd like neither of these solutions - you're too limited with all of them. That's fine on a DH machine, or XC machine, or even a trail bike, but not something as versatile as the SX! It really misses the point IMHO.

Carrying two seatposts is obviously not practical (not to mention the cost, especially if you get two saddles too), telescopics aren't as tough as regular posts, and not moving the seat is just wrong :think:

My 99' FSR was my first, and last, interrupted seat tube bike.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I should mention that I already have a Bullit that I use for bigger stuff and DH. The Bullit will climb, but it's combersome, so the Chameleon is a nice compromise.

I rode the Bullit all weekend and didn't have really any stiffness in my knees. I mostly ride in clipless pedals that I switch between bikes, so I don't think foot position is the problem.

I'm not real into the idea of an interrupted seat tube, I like to be able to adjust.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by bagtagley

My knees thank you.
As a Chameleon die-hard, I'd have to ask what size tire you have? I know squeezing most anything bigger than a 2.35 in there is difficult.

Maybe bigger tires/less pressure?

I have a SS Chameleon with 180mm steel cranks and some Mofo DH 2.35 tires, and a 5" Z1. I used to get some knee aches when it was built as a XC bike with 2.1's, but the fatter tires really help now.

How's you seat height when you're climbing? Lot's of riders drop the saddle for techy stuff and then don't bring it up again for climbing - hell on the knees. (I'm guilty of this often)

Just some suggestions.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I should mention that I already have a Bullit that I use for bigger stuff and DH. The Bullit will climb, but it's combersome, so the Chameleon is a nice compromise.

I rode the Bullit all weekend and didn't have really any stiffness in my knees. I mostly ride in clipless pedals that I switch between bikes, so I don't think foot position is the problem.

I'm not real into the idea of an interrupted seat tube, I like to be able to adjust.
What kinda build on the Bullit?

Cause you could just lighten it up a bunch,and your problems would be solved.

A SC fork, light wheelset and tires, carbon, etc...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by roee
I'd like neither of these solutions - you're too limited with all of them. That's fine on a DH machine, or XC machine, or even a trail bike, but not something as versatile as the SX! It really misses the point IMHO.

Carrying two seatposts is obviously not practical (not to mention the cost, especially if you get two saddles too), telescopics aren't as tough as regular posts, and not moving the seat is just wrong :think:

My 99' FSR was my first, and last, interrupted seat tube bike.
The newest generation of Enduro bikes allow for a lot of seat adjustment. But the SX has a forged rib preventing major adjustments. Why not a regular enduro? They are lighter and have more travel than the SX, albeit not as beefy.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20 As a Chameleon die-hard, I'd have to ask what size tire you have? I know squeezing most anything bigger than a 2.35 in there is difficult
i slid t6he wheel to the farthest position and i fit a 2.6 gazzi jr in there:D

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Ok, it's a bike I own and love, but I think it fits here. BTW, I love chameleons.

I'm going to say Titus Loco Moto. Look into it. Nice geometry, excellent, very tunable, low maintence suspension design. Adjustable travel enhanced when matched with an adjustable travel fork. high enough bottom bracket to give good clearance, yet not overly high as to detriment center of gravity issues when downhilling. Stiff front and rear end, boxed chainstays, plenty of standover height and a very acceptable top tube lenghth. Also, lightest in it's travel class (or that's what they used to say, not sure if it's true today or not). Handmade in the US with beautiful welds and it will cost about the same as the inferior, burlier looking and of lower finish quality than the Heckler...

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I appreciate everyone's advice.

I've given longer travel trail bikes (ie. Enduro, Heckler) a thought, but I sorta like the idea of a stiffer rear end. It seems like a DS frame with steeper angles would be ideal. Is there as DS/4X frame that can be used for XC as well? I feel like a 5" trail bike is going to be a bit more sluggish than I want. What about the IH MTX, it seems pretty adaptable (if I could even find one)?

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I second or third the Heckler. Its my all around bike ( XC as well if you call it that ). Depending on the fork you use is what I am finding changes the ride. I have a Z150 and a Fox RLC 125.

I find the Heckler to be the ultimate "play bike" Its more freeride than pure Trail bike IMO. The Heckler replaced my Bullit that was my all around bike. 2nd best bike ( so far ) I have owned after my DHR.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...........one that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Turner Burner. Right now Supergo is blowing them out @ $950 & it is a sweet frame. Uber stiff rear with the bushing/ zerk setup & 3.6" travel. As far as durability, it is approved for everything the 5Spot is......Check it

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
spincrazy, like this one ;)

I don't suppose you know what travel fork they used on the LocoMoto when getting the HT/ST angles (bit steeper than I'd like, but 5" fork might fix that)? Nice bikes, my buddy just got a Swithblade...gorgeous frame.

jncarpenter, Burner's an interesting thought. You think it'd take a beating?

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
....jncarpenter, Burner's an interesting thought. You think it'd take a beating?...

....give Turner a call, they'd be happy to answer any inquiries. My 5 Spot has certainly proven more burly than expected!:D

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
hey, that's my bike!

I run it with a 5" Sherman Firefly and it's perfect for the downhill and normal messing around. I believe they list the geo with a 4" fork, but I'm not certain anymore. Call them, Alan is full of good info. Thing is, with an adjustable fork (3-5") and the adjustable rear end, it goes from full on XC like bike to nearly DH geometry. I'm currently running the bars a little higher than I was with the Psylo SL I used to run on there - I think the Sherman itself is a bit taller too, so.... If I'm trying to get on something really high or do a really steep, rocky climb, I'll throw the fork down to 4". It FLOATS through rock gardens and is so flickable it's stupid. With the Swinger 4-way, it accelerates like a bat outta hell out of corners and doesn't flew the rear end like a lot of 5" bikes.

I was just saying last Sunday that I'm glad I don't like any other bike as much as I like mine. That's a nice, satisfying feeling. I've had a Loco for the past 2-3 years and I'm still on the same bearings and it's as stiff as when I bought it.

You might see if you can find a pre 2003 one for cheap and then send the frame in for a 2004 front triangle for $175 and bearing overhaul if needed.

spincrazy, like this one ;)

I don't suppose you know what travel fork they used on the LocoMoto when getting the HT/ST angles (bit steeper than I'd like, but 5" fork might fix that)? Nice bikes, my buddy just got a Swithblade...gorgeous frame.

jncarpenter, Burner's an interesting thought. You think it'd take a beating?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
IMHO, as a former owner, the Loco gets a little too slack and high (ie, awkward) with most 5" forks. (Z1 130mm in my case.) A 3-4" fork is perfect....but a 04 Sherman, with 90-130 adjustability, might be the ticket.

However, I did crack my first Loco frame on what I'd consider hard trailriding (top tube crack at the gusset). Still, it's a great trail frame. Great geometry and suspension.

For any riding that includes deliberate dropping or air time, tho, I'd look elsewhere. It can handle a rough ride, but it's not made to be worked over on a regular basis. Maybe the quasi-moto might fit that better, considering the Titus line only.

MD

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
I wonder if the Burner can withstand urban assault with a 230lbs pig on top :think:
I might be interested..

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by spincrazy
Ok, it's a bike I own and love, but I think it fits here. BTW, I love chameleons.

I'm going to say Titus Loco Moto. Look into it. Nice geometry, excellent, very tunable, low maintence suspension design. Adjustable travel enhanced when matched with an adjustable travel fork. high enough bottom bracket to give good clearance, yet not overly high as to detriment center of gravity issues when downhilling. Stiff front and rear end, boxed chainstays, plenty of standover height and a very acceptable top tube lenghth. Also, lightest in it's travel class (or that's what they used to say, not sure if it's true today or not). Handmade in the US with beautiful welds and it will cost about the same as the inferior, burlier looking and of lower finish quality than the Heckler...

Puhhhhleeezze man! Quite bagging on my bike! :(

The Loco and Heckler are both good. The Loco tends towards the lighter side of the playground and the Heckler towards the heavier. Either way most people swear by either one.
Incidently, Hecklers are made overseas now. Also, the paint hasn't been the best in my experience (I have a transblue heckler). Also, when Spincrazy got his new front triangle back, 'dark blue' is really a dark purple and therefore slower. And gayer. Definetly gayer. But thats what the East Village is all about

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by samich457
Azonic propulsion might not be too bad.
IMHO and from past experience, everything Azonic makes is quite bad ;) (either they buy cheap low quality parts and put their name on it - like their seats - or they make cheap low quality parts) - too many broken frames, flexy bars, bent seats, etc.

I'm done with Azonic.

samich457

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Stinkin Lincoln
Originally posted by roee
IMHO and from past experience, everything Azonic makes is quite bad ;) (either they buy cheap low quality parts and put their name on it - like their seats - or they make cheap low quality parts) - too many broken frames, flexy bars, bent seats, etc.

I'm done with Azonic.
Never have rode Azonic frame and bars. I was trying to think of a 3-4 inch frame. Thanks for the info though cause I was actually looking at one.

roee

Chimp
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by samich457
Never have rode Azonic frame and bars. I was trying to think of a 3-4 inch frame. Thanks for the info though cause I was actually looking at one.
Well, I have seen a broken azonic frame, and I bent a saddle which is identical to the Azonic Love Seat - the Azonic is just a rebadge of it, so I've been told. Not too high of a quality. I got their bar (WF, methinks) on my bike, and it's not the stiffest, but to be honest I didn't compare it directly with any other bar of the same width.

I've probably been influenced by the internet rumor mill, check it more deeply, I might not know what I'm talking about :)

(Edited to say I'm probably an ass and this should have been the original message, not the "don't buy Azonic" babbling
And then edited again to say the broken frame is actually an Evolution and not a DS1, and to add this http://www.hcor.net/postt16810.html which I just found entirely by coincidence)