Quantcast

Report from the Orthopaedic Doctor

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well I just got back from the Orthopaedic Doctor's office and they suspect that I have a possible sprained ACL, meniscus and Lateral collateral ligament. I have to go in for an MRI to rule out any tears and for the Doctor to determine next steps if tears are found.

The good news is that the Dr. said it is fine for me to ride. He said the pedaling motion won't do any damage. He did however caution me against running or putting any type of heavy side to side loads on my left knee.

I have an MRI scheduled for 7:15 a.m. on the 18th and then a follow up visit with the Doctor on April 25th.

So all in all I'm encouraged about the diagnosis so far and I just hope that no tears are found and that is is only a sprained knee.

I'm so very thankful that I have the green light to ride! :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Doctors in the Orthopaedics/Sports Medicine department at the UConn Health Center kick major ass!!

At my visit - I was first seen by a resident and a student, then I got a series of X-rays that my Dr. likes to have done, then Dr. Arciero came in and looked at my knee, then the resident and student again and then one more time Dr. Arciero did some tests (pushing and pulling on the joint). A super thorough look at my knee and very friendly and informative.

I sure hope the MRI doesn't show any tears in any of my ligaments or the meniscus.

And man was it good to hear those words "cycling is okay for the knee so you can continue to ride." I just have to focus on a good smooth pedal stroke. So this could actually be a good thing by improving my riding. :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
MMcG said:
I just have to focus on a good smooth pedal stroke. So this could actually be a good thing by improving my riding. :)

LOL - yah, that's the one good thing that I have learned from this neverendin knee injury I have...you can always learn to be more efficient in your pedal stroke. :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
good news. just be careful of awkward bails when you ride.

Damn- didn't even think about that, but yeah I'll be careful. I need to get some good road miles in anyway so I'll probably try to concentrate on that until the MRI results come back in.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
reflux said:
I'm glad to hear you'll be okay, but I would ride flats until further notice (NO clipless).
He actually said clipless was okay....but maybe he was saying that for road riding only......hmmm.....I told him I did both road and mountain bike riding.

I better call and confirm about that point.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
...Dr. Arciero did some tests (pushing and pulling on the joint)...
I had the same kind of stuff done Jan. 04 when my knee was really bugging me...push, pull, twist, bend... It sounds like your doc was very similar to mine. He gave me the :thumb: for riding and told me to respect my new limits and, if I was unable to do that, to come back and we'll talk surgery.

They make bike-friendly knee braces for lateral support if you need it. jdcamb's buddy was wearing one at MF1.5

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Glad to hear you can ride, McGnee! I wouldn't think hammering on rocky, technical, Case Mountain-type terrain would be the best for your knee though. And hey, road riding ain't all that bad. :)

Maybe I'll have to pick up some of the defensive slack on our hockey team now...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BikeGeek said:
I had the same kind of stuff done Jan. 04 when my knee was really bugging me...push, pull, twist, bend... It sounds like your doc was very similar to mine. He gave me the :thumb: for riding and told me to respect my new limits and, if I was unable to do that, to come back and we'll talk surgery.

They make bike-friendly knee braces for lateral support if you need it. jdcamb's buddy was wearing one at MF1.5

got a pic of that knee brace?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Glad to hear you can ride, McGnee! I wouldn't think hammering on rocky, technical, Case Mountain-type terrain would be the best for your knee though. And hey, road riding ain't all that bad. :)

Maybe I'll have to pick up some of the defensive slack on our hockey team now...
I like road cycling. We'll have to go out and do that route of yours real soon like.

I'll ask about ice hockey, inline hockey when I go back to see Dr. Arciero on the 25th.

splat

Nam I am
MMcG said:
And where does it hurt you?

Take some Glucosomine.
When It hurts it feels like some thing is stuck Between the Joint and the Cap.

and some times when riding , every third Pedal stoke it Pops .

THe next step the doc wants to scope it to find out what is wrong and fix it.

The theory is I have a "loose" cartaliege tear, that Get stuck in the joint occocionally, but when they did the MRI was sitting where is is suppose to be.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
splat said:

The theory is I have a "loose" cartaliege tear, that Get stuck in the joint occocionally, but when they did the MRI was sitting where is is suppose to be.

do you wear a brace or anything? Just take some glucosomine, wrap an ace bandage around it and keep ridin. ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
johnbryanpeters said:
And how would you know about that? :D
after i severely roached my ankle playing basketball years ago, i finally got to ride a few a couple months or so off the bike. 1st ride i got stuck in some spot, clipped out, then put my foot on some soft ground/brittle sticks and rolled the damn thing again. almost as painful as crashing on a drop after i'd cracked a rib playing hockey.

so i've cut out all other non-bike related sports now, and i'm safer. :dancing:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
Narlus - you used to play hockey? At what level?
about the lowest imaginable. after playing pond hockey as a kid, i decided to try organized hockey in the 7th grade, and played for 3 years in the town system. decided that the time sink wasn't worth sitting on the JV bench, so i stopped until playing intramurals @ college. i've played sporadically w/ guys from work (we were in a league for a few years, and now we just rent ice once a week, but due to time constraints i haven't played really all that much since '00 or so.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
about the lowest imaginable. after playing pond hockey as a kid, i decided to try organized hockey in the 7th grade, and played for 3 years in the town system. decided that the time sink wasn't worth sitting on the JV bench, so i stopped until playing intramurals @ college. i've played sporadically w/ guys from work (we were in a league for a few years, and now we just rent ice once a week, but due to time constraints i haven't played really all that much since '00 or so.

Man we gotta meet up sooner rather than later to get to work on the Ted and to drink some beer, talk bikes, and music and whatnot.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
splat said:

I'm gonna top that - every pedal stroke I get the feeling that it's going to pop - it's just constant but it rarely does pop. DRIVES ME CRAZY

HellBentDH

Chimp
Apr 2, 2005
Good luck with your knee. I've had some experience with knee rebuilds, I'm currently on ACL number 4 in my left knee. Once you've blown it out and get a new one, weather they use your own tendon from the front of the knee, cadaver echiles or ACL it's just not stable like the real thing. I would recommend doing as much physical therapy as you possibly can, do everything you can to stregthen the muscles around the joint. And of course a brace will make walking away from the occasional bail out a little more likely. Good luck.