Quantcast

representing 4 :monkey: & a babboon, YO / How to Bleep did I even finish

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
part#1
Representing 4 :monkey: & a baboon, YO

so I did an XC race today and of course I put down 4 :monkey: & a baboon as my team name. ( I heard the announcer say the team name 3 times :thumb: )

The race was at Catskill Mtn Foundation
http://www.mastersofthemountains.com

The course was real nice, about 85% singletrack, lots of rock gardens, roots & some bridges, even ones that went up & over big arse rocks/boulders........how is your cardio,? because 20 ft after the start was about 2 miles was up, up & more up......the next 2 miles was all down :D

I race sport which equals 3 laps, I was doing good, had a great start & was able to keep track of my competition - most of the race I was either 3rd, 2nd and at times even in the lead! :eek:

So on the last lap, I'm in 2nd - trying to keep the leader in sight, I thought, maybe just maybe I can get him.....if not I'll hold 2nd and be happy I did so well ! and then with a 1-1.5 miles left, I crash......HARD :eek: The end of my handlebar slammed into my upper chest, and I banged my already road rashed leg on something - & while I'm trying to gather myself 2 riders pass me, some dude's asking "you ok?". It was tough to get up & back on the bike, but I did and then I see my tire/bar alignment is screwed up (see pic), but wasnt really bad so off I go...finish the last 1.5 w/o getting passed or catching anyone

BUT come to find out the 2 guys that passed me were in a younger group - and I did get 2nd!!

woo hoo - I made my goal (well, besides the other goal of surviving the 24 hours of adrenaline) - My 1st ever podium in sport XC!! :D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
part #2
How to Bleep did I even finish?

So I walked my bike and put it in the jeep, hung with 2 guys I knew (they got 2nd & 3rd in theor beginner classes :thumb:)...they also had a Mtn/craft fair going on so there food, etc to be had while the experts/pros raced (and we waited for the awards)

any ways I dint notice a little problem with my bike until I was home/getting ready to wash it

see PICS!!

Attachments

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
well, now I know why my tire wasnt alligned with my bars.!
I,m so glad somehow the tire kept my damn fork from falling completely apart......not sure if you can see my cyclometer but the very end of the race is open & fast (30 mph)...........DAMN, that could have hurt !!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Damn Dude! And congrats on the podium :thumb: . That f'n rocks man. Sounds like its time to buy that Fox Fork. You know you want it :D ..... jdcamb

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
GASP!! You didn't see that until you got home!! Wow, somebody's guardian angel was on duty today!! And 30 mph, too! That's pretty fast and it sure is a good thing you didn't crash- That would have HURT especially after crashing earlier. OWEEEEEE!

Congratualtions on the great finish, too! :D :thumb: Do you happen to know what your average speed was? I bet you're beat now.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Thanks jdcamp & KPicha!!

average speed, umm...just under 12 miles in 1:19

you do the math :)

and yes I need a fork! .........but, I don think I can afford fox :(