Quantcast

Republitards *sigh*

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
[rant]
So I'm currently reading "Your Government Failed You" by Richard Clarke. I dropped it on the desk when I came into the hangar this morning and was almost immediately assaulted by one of the resident Palin/tea bagger/birther mouth breathers about how the government failed because of "retard Obama voters" and how the whole country "was going to hell" because of them. When I asked if he even knew what the book was about or who Richard Clarke was, he had no idea about either and didn't even want to hear it. I can remember a time that when you talked about "thinking conservatives", the adjective wasn't necessary. When exactly was it that the Republican party became the party of the proud to be ignorant-reactionary-purposely ill informed -lack wit? Why is it that these people are proud to replace information with ignorance and superstition and actually try to suppress fact?
[/rant]:rant:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
See, here's my new TFT (tin-foil theory). When the Christians and Republicans stopped believing in evolution, they stopped experiencing it. In fact, they are so hard-up for creationism and Magic Beard Man™ that, at least for themselves, they have managed to kick evolution into reverse. Before you know it, they will begin to regrow tails, and grunts will become part of their lexicon. In another generation, the first signs will be revealed with the nomination of a Republican Presidential Candidate with opposable thumbs on his feet.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It goes both way there champ. Go to a heavy Obama supporting region of the country, say Detroit, and discuss Fiscal responsibility. There are mouthbreathers on both sides of the line.
People need to stop thinking democrat and republican, and focus more on actions Cheat - theif, etc

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
It goes both way there champ. Go to a heavy Obama supporting region of the country, say Detroit, and discuss Fiscal responsibility. There are mouthbreathers on both sides of the line.
People need to stop thinking democrat and republican, and focus more on actions Cheat - theif, etc
Yeah, like getting rid of earmarks :rofl:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
[rant]
So I'm currently reading "Your Government Failed You" by Richard Clarke. I dropped it on the desk when I came into the hangar this morning and was almost immediately assaulted by one of the resident Palin/tea bagger/birther mouth breathers about how the government failed because of "retard Obama voters" and how the whole country "was going to hell" because of them. When I asked if he even knew what the book was about or who Richard Clarke was, he had no idea about either and didn't even want to hear it. I can remember a time that when you talked about "thinking conservatives", the adjective wasn't necessary. When exactly was it that the Republican party became the party of the proud to be ignorant-reactionary-purposely ill informed -lack wit? Why is it that these people are proud to replace information with ignorance and superstition and actually try to suppress fact?
[/rant]:rant:

September 12, 2001

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I will agree, when you ask why they voted for obama and not any other candidate..."all you get is change".

Still not as bad as the other mouthbreathers, 'cause they dont agree with me.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I seem to meet more on the Republican side than Dem. It seems that if you use your brain much you aren't a Republican. Maybe it's just Republicans in Oregon. There are some crazy Dems around here, but not nearly as bad as the Reps

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I wish the smart on both sides would agree that a step towards self-sufficiency, rule of law, and separation of church and state is a better idea, and move towarda strong Libertarian party.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I wish the smart on both sides would agree that a step towards self-sufficiency, rule of law, and separation of church and state is a better idea, and move towarda strong Libertarian party.
I would agree with you except that "Libertarian" is often an excuse for Randian objectivism, i.e. elimination of any and all public services, from health to education, even if they actually demonstrate a positive ROI.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I would agree with you except that "Libertarian" is often an excuse for Randian objectivism, i.e. elimination of any and all public services, from health to education, even if they actually demonstrate a positive ROI.
You said often when you should have said always.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wasn't talking generally about mouthbreathers and the LEOTBC. If you had read my post, you would have noticed I was speaking specifically about people that think evolution is bogus. Find me some Democrats or Independents or Liberals that so proudly fly the anti-evolution banner. I haven't seen any. Does that mean there aren't any? Nope. They just don't advertise their ignorance so blatantly.

FTR, I do agree with the point you made. There are morons in every political party. The one thing stupidity has going for it is bipartisanship.

Hahahahahahah that was soooooooo classic :D:D:D

Religion, societal regression.

I'm glad someone got the joke :cheers:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Individually, of course, there are idiots in all parties supporting all platforms for all reasons.

It's not generally the democrats, though, that actively and deliberately attack and degrade the intelligent and educated portion of the population. There is a substantial and outspoken portion of the conservatives that actually stands on a platform based on anti-education and anti-intelligence.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Individually, of course, there are idiots in all parties supporting all platforms for all reasons.

It's not generally the democrats, though, that actively and deliberately attack and degrade the intelligent and educated portion of the population. There is a substantial and outspoken portion of the conservatives that actually stands on a platform based on anti-education and anti-intelligence.
Somehow the question changed from "Who is the smartest and most qualified person to lead the world's remaining superpower" to "Who would you rather share a beer with," and by and large it's been the Republicans driving that one. I mean, Joe Biden's no genius but compared to Sarah Palin he's freakin' Einstein. And she's the figurehead of the new and improved GOP??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Recently my boss, whom I have zero respect for, has taken to making a bit of political commentary. He doesn't really discuss any issues, he just calls Obama a Cocksucker, Asshole or any other names that are not even close to being appropriate for use in a work environment. These outbursts are done in front of large groups of people, not just his 'buds'. I guess he just thinks everyone feels the same way he does, he does only say it in front of white people.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Which is why we need a third party based on logic, and not emotion.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Logic? Politics? Together? You sir, are talking crazy talk. Have you been hanging out with Rick again?

but yes, two party system has been a major failboat for quite some time. We're overdue for a third party. Maybe its time to act.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm voting independent this year. I've traditionally voted by policies spread over the parties, but this time I am voting completely against the dem/rep slate. Many of my colleagues feel the same way and are trying to convince their families to do the same.
We need a voters revolt.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anyone who thinks this is a new trend in American politics (yes, Susan Jacoby, author of the unreadable "The Age of American Unreason." I'm thinking of you) simply needs a quick lesson on William Henry Harrison and the Log Cabin and Hard Cider campaign.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just speaking for yourself, where's the separation between self sufficient libertarianism and as you say "the rule of law". At some point those tenets need to head butt each other.

I've met one or two sane republicans/conservatives, mostly on fiscal concerns, none of the whacked out social crap that goes along with that "team".

I've never met a self described libertarian who knew a damn thing about history or why carnegie steel, standard oil and union pacific were bad for the country around the turn of the century. For the most part, the concept sounds great, but time and again creates a bee line right towards feudalism.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Never work, our system is designed to keep it to 2 major parties, and if a 3rd party pops up, it ends up weakening the established party that's closest to it to the point where the other one wins by default. Check out the NY23 race, a 3rd party candidate almost guaranteed a Democratic win in a solidly Republican district (until Scozzafava pulled out). Nader was one of the main reasons Gore lost (even 5% of Nader voters voting for Gore in FL would've ensured that Bush lost), and Perot stole more votes from GHWB than Clinton, ensuring a Clinton victory in 1992.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Never work, our system is designed to keep it to 2 major parties, and if a 3rd party pops up, it ends up weakening the established party that's closest to it to the point where the other one wins by default. Check out the NY23 race, a 3rd party candidate almost guaranteed a Democratic win in a solidly Republican district (until Scozzafava pulled out). Nader was one of the main reasons Gore lost (even 5% of Nader voters voting for Gore in FL would've ensured that Bush lost), and Perot stole more votes from GHWB than Clinton, ensuring a Clinton victory in 1992.
Shh.

Don't crush the young idealogue :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's why any 3rd party would have to be substantially different from the 2 existing parties in order to have a chance at being successful.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's why any 3rd party would have to be substantially different from the 2 existing parties in order to have a chance at being successful.
Openly denouncing religion, at least in terms of it's relevance to government really would put things up a notch for me. No need to round up the lions or anything (even though I get tingly just thinking about it), but certainly know when to tell the robertsons of the world to shut the fvck up.

We live in jesus land though. No success for that.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
You know that doesn't work with black/white issues, right? I mean, with social issues the Republicans are anti-abortion, and Democrats are pro-choice. Your new position on this is going to be a shade of gray, and is going to steal votes from either the Repubs or Democrats based on exactly where on the spectrum you fall.

The only way you could get it to work would be to fall almost directly down the middle and appeal to a majority of Americans on both sides. Something like a Balanced Budget Party which equally pisses off hard-liners on both the right and the left. Have your platform be for cutting social spending AND raising taxes. Be liberal on social issues but conservative on fiscal ones. Be the "North East Republican" that the current GOP has tried to drive out of their party.

Of course, then you could end up getting NO support, but that's the risk you'll have to take.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You know that doesn't work with black/white issues, right? I mean, with social issues the Republicans are anti-abortion, and Democrats are pro-choice. Your new position on this is going to be a shade of gray, and is going to steal votes from either the Repubs or Democrats based on exactly where on the spectrum you fall.

The only way you could get it to work would be to fall almost directly down the middle and appeal to a majority of Americans on both sides. Something like a Balanced Budget Party which equally pisses off hard-liners on both the right and the left. Have your platform be for cutting social spending AND raising taxes. Be liberal on social issues but conservative on fiscal ones. Be the "North East Republican" that the current GOP has tried to drive out of their party.

Of course, then you could end up getting NO support, but that's the risk you'll have to take.
I get what you're saying. I will not be in the gray area when it comes to pro-life, pro-choice. I will be pro-falcon punch.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Really? I get this, even when copying/pasting the link into a different browser:

San Jose Mercury News (CA) - February 14, 1990 - 4A Front

FRIENDS OF BEER DRAFT A PLATFORM
Beer lovers in the famed brewery town of Pilsen have decided to mix party politics with the politics of partying. In one of the odder side effects of this country's move to democracy, the Friends of Beer party will run in Czechoslovakia's first free elections in more than 40 years. "The main objective of the party is to decrease the price of beer while increasing its quality and consumption," the newspaper Mlada Fronta reported on Tuesday....

Evil Sylvain

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Montreal, QC, Canada
I've never met a self described libertarian who knew a damn thing about history or why carnegie steel, standard oil and union pacific were bad for the country around the turn of the century.
Will that help if I read such a book?
http://www.amazon.com/Antitrust-Monopoly-Anatomy-Independent-Political/dp/0945999623/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245335060&sr=8-3

Product Description
The stated purpose of antitrust laws is to protect competition and the public interest. But do such laws actually restrict the competitive process, harming consumers and serving the special interests of a few politically-connected competitors?
Is antitrust law a necessary defense against the predatory business practices of wealthy, entrenched corporations that dominate a market? Or does antitrust law actually work to restrain and restrict the competitive process, injuring the public it is supposed to protect? In this breakthrough study, Professor Armentano thoroughly researches the classic cases in antitrust law and demonstrates a surprising gap between the stated aims of antitrust law and what it actually accomplishes in the real world. Instead of protecting competition, Professor Armentano finds, antitrust law actually protects certain politically-favored competitors. This is an essential work for anyone wishing to understand the limitations and problems of contemporary antitrust actions.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sure read it.

Then you can tell me if his supposed premise is sound or the pitfalls he discovers stem from faulty implementation.

The existence of a book on amazon still doesn't mean complete and totally unhindered free market dominance is a good thing ya know. :D