Quantcast

Request for your input - Racers and Teams

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Anyone interesting providing your insight on what the perfect race series would consist of from the racers/team perspective? If so, please PM me your email address and I will send you a Word Document that you just need to read, put your thoughts down and email back to me by Wed Aug 29th.

Couple of notes: This is not related to Dirt Passion in any way, shape, or form. I have been asked to be a pass through of info to and from representing the SE region. Please don't ask me lots of questions, I honestly don't have the answers (I'd didn't author the Word doc). In due time, when I learn more from the source, I will let you all know. Also, please don't ask whom the source is... be appreciative of fact that a group is stepping up and wants to be your voice.

Some of you I have already emailed (those that I had an email address for) and some of you I messaged you on FB asking for your email.

Clealan, please feel free to distribute to the rest of Team Gut Bomb. Butch, Mueller, Alex, I'd like to get one to each of you. This is open to anybody, so if you want to put down your thoughts just let me know.

Thanks,
Jay

ininerider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2009
Banner Elk NC
That makes sense. Three race venues all within miles of each other. Add an Enduro at Rocky Knob and another DS race at Beech and award an Omnium.
This is a step in the right direction for sure. Mabe even an enduro at LMC as well. All of these venues could pull off an enduro......

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I believe I had covered everybody that PMed me and you should have it in your inbox per the email address you provided me.

One comment based on some comments I have gotten.... it's not a suvery in true form and is VERY open ended. Not knocking it and the group that put it together, but I think personally would have gone after more specific/pointed questions. Nonetheless, as mentioned previously, put your thoughts down about the content of the letter on page one (agreeing with it or not) and then what is important to you as a racer.

Also, in regards to agreeing with the content or not..... everybody is different and everyone has different ideas about what's right and what's wrong. Don't look at it from that perspective, but more use it as a tool to capture what's on your mind knowing that someone that can make decisions to potentially address your concerns will read it (whether or not they act on it is TBD). You do have a voice and they say change lies with the people right? (No my name is not Obama and I am not biased to either the Demo nor Repub party :D ).

We can choose to continue to let the status quo be status quo or we can give it our best effort and get something done. Talk is cheap, but action is priceless.

Reminder that I need to send these back to the authors by Wed of next week Aug 29. To date, I've received two back (Thanks Butch and Alex!). Hoping to get some more.

Thanks guys!

Jay

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I got an Idea or two.... how bout a series that actually awards something for overall series winners. Maybe something like ski passes and lodging for a weekend. Also a team competition that awards free lodging for a weekend the following season and other useful things that make us want to come to all the races in a series.
Have DH and DS at each event and get the schedule set so people want to race both. Take a look into history
the blue print is there. Dont' think you have to reinvent the wheel just build it and they will come.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
I can agree with Chuck. A series with both DH & DS with some overall, but they need to brake it down in 10yr age groups. I drove up to the last Beech race with a differnet group from Fl this last time and one of the biggest things I heard was 40+ riders do not want to race against 19 year old kids. Myself at 38 I don't mind racing the young guns I keep them honest and they keep me fast. LOL I lost the email you had sent over to me about this matter. I hope our voice"s help out. Lets make it worth driving 9+ hrs to go race bicycles!!

I got an Idea or two.... how bout a series that actually awards something for overall series winners. Maybe something like ski passes and lodging for a weekend. Also a team competition that awards free lodging for a weekend the following season and other useful things that make us want to come to all the races in a series.
Have DH and DS at each event and get the schedule set so people want to race both. Take a look into history
the blue print is there. Dont' think you have to reinvent the wheel just build it and they will come.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Best awards I ever saw was at the TTC (surprise, surprise). First place got a free night in a floating cabin on the lake beside the TTC and second place was a free double-decker pontoon rental. The rush to get the race over and get to the lake was light speed quick.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Anybody else want to return the letter to me via email? They want them back by tomorrow.

I know you guys have opinions and ideas (well except for Butch and Cecil :D ).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I still have an old worn out MADHRA shirt that I wear every once and a while :)
Awesome. I saw more than one person sporting their shirt at Beech. The passion all the riders and racers displayed during that time was fantastic for that club. It was a shame all the venues spaced out on those of us promoting the races.

I definitely learned a lot during that time. The south desperately wants to support DH venues, but they want to feel included. So many great people put forth so much effort at that time.

The only bad thing I remember was when we had a club meeting at season's end to determine the next year's direction and the biggest complain raised was that the frickin' t-shirts faded too quickly. :D

I woud like to see a legitimate series happen again. I really enjoyed the Cane Creek and MADHRA races. There was one year that I think we had races like every third weekend or so. I still have my THE number plate from madhra, and the t shirt.

I would like to have Clemson, Carters Lake, TTC, Wolf, Beech, Hawksnest, Windrock and maybe the new place in Alabama (Colwater)

Not really keen on Sugar because of the lift. Maybe if they ran at a decent speed on race weekends. I have never had a good race there either, knocked out once, mechanicals, xc racers on course fing my run, 45 mins on the lift, etc..

What I really liked about the old series we had was that the courses were soo different. Beech, Sugar, Wolf, Windrock were all true DH courses. Technical, and all going down the hill/mountain. Clemson, Charlotte, and Fontana I called the 'Drag Race' courses. If you can pedal and had endurance, you had a legitimate chance against the better DH racers.

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Jet - Sugar's course is so much better than the other courses listed here, I could keep from complaining about the 30 min . lift ride. Love to race there again... a shame they aren't jumping on with a series with Beech. That course is legit DH and offers a little of everything in a run.
A legit series would include Sugar, Beech, Windrock and TTC in my book. The smaller hills are ok courses and better than nothing but, a true DH series should be on real DH tracks that require real DH bikes.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
A couple years ago I had some meetings with Sugar about getting some races back there again. They were interested but a bit apprehensive as in their eyes, after hosting 2 NORBA races and 2 collegiate national champs, anything else would just be too small to even deal with. Following the collegiate national races, they had some major construction on the mountain which halted them from holding any races anyways, so they just kinda fell off the scene. And they made it very clear that if a race was held there, they wanted to put it on themselves to have complete control of it. So its up to them. However, that construction is all done now, so maybe we should start bugging them about it again .

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
All Sugar needs to do is go back to having the Showdown at Sugar once a year put on by them. It used to always be the biggest local dh race back in the day, and they would still get a good turnout today. They ran it well (except for the time I won a pair of purple suede hiking boots), and the course is now better than ever.
Getting them to do their own race again next year should not be that hard of a sell.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
If Sugar had there own race we could still use the results from it in a series. Use the points/results ...what ever. Sugar was always an awesome place to ride/race. Good times!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Just a few thoughts I put in my e-mail for most to think about.

• 6 to 8 races on the East Coast as the dominate races series
  • Split the races 50/50 in both South and North
  • Offer race category's that will divide the racers up fairly. Age Groups the old NORBA Nationals, also a Pro Vet class for Pros over 35
  • $$ Payouts for top Pros in each Class, Tops Prizes (From Sponsors) for all classes below
  • Makes sure race course meets a certain standard for level of competition
  • Make sure racers get lots of practice time in.
  • Lifts run all day so racers don't have to go up to early before their race runs
  • Post Start Times up for racers
  • Have a Vendors and Team Pits space at each event (You don't have to make $$ off of this ether) No cars in Pitts, only 10x 10 tents or bigger. Note this will help the events atmosphere and make the event look bigger than it may really be and also make Sponsors happy
  • Use a real Timing system!!!!
  • Have a free camping space for the racers and open restrooms and showers up if at a resort for the racers.
  • Have a Points Leader Board for each race category. Plates for the top 10 at each race.
  • A good Web Site for the Race Series
  • Post Timing 10mins after each group of racers is done

Also thoughts you really have to consider to building a MTB Race Series that will sustain itself:

I also feel you should not just think about having a Gravity Race Series, but a true Mountain Bike Race Series. Meaning bring bake XC, Super D and Enduro to join forces with DH in a one weekends event. This will bring in more racers (='s more $) and more Sponsors to make things happen. Put the same amount of focus and $$'s in each disciplined. NORBA really messed up our sport by not doing this over the years. This is the only way you will truly be able to get anyone's attention in the industry and form a true Series that will stick year over year.

I really hope something happens and someone has the focus and time to commit to making something like this happen for the sport as I know many of us have tried over the years.

Cecil

zakkpw

Chimp
Sep 15, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Cataloochee ever been considered? Never seen it in the summer, but seems like a potential spot. I know acreage wise it's a smaller mountain but the vertical seems comparable to the other spots we race, on average. Of course trail builders would be needed and I think there are a few around.:rolleyes: Just my simple thoughts...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Cataloochee ever been considered? Never seen it in the summer, but seems like a potential spot. I know acreage wise it's a smaller mountain but the vertical seems comparable to the other spots we race, on average. Of course trail builders would be needed and I think there are a few around.:rolleyes: Just my simple thoughts...
Cataloochee would never have anything to do with us in the MADHRA days. They owner, Tony something, just wasn't having it. They held a DH there once on the back of 4x4 tailgates shuttling up through cow pastures to the top. That type of shuttle system will NOT happen with them again do to some homeowners. So only way is to have someone convince them to run their lift. Do it. ;)

Speaking of the Showdown, anybody remember the year they screwed up Chris' (not Herndon) time by exactly 30 seconds and gave him the $250 bucks for fastest time overall. And rather than do the right thing and give it to Alex Gallego (whose time was smoking fast and everybody knew won)....he tried to convince us he had a "really good time".

Took the money and ran....:rofl:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I have been bugging Sugar management for 2 years regarding bringing back the showdown at Sugar. Sorry guys but at this point they are not interested in having a race. The exact words were "Sugar will never be a mountain bike destination". But on a positive note at least some much needed trail work has been done this year. Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I have been bugging Sugar management for 2 years regarding bringing back the showdown at Sugar. Sorry guys but at this point they are not interested in having a race. The exact words were "Sugar will never be a mountain bike destination". But on a positive note at least some much needed trail work has been done this year. Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend.
^^^Wow^^^ those are some sad words....I wonder if Beech will ever be one?