Quantcast

Resale on road bikes?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Hey, I just started road riding this year, and unfortunately will have to sell my road bike within the next week. Since i've never sold a road bike what can i expect to get when selling? I know the resale on mountain bikes is TERRIBLE, is it similar with road bikes? Basically I have an 05' R1000 from cannondale thats a few months old. Should i be able to expect 1200$ or is that to high or not enough? Any input would be good since i dont want to loose a sale, but dont want to lowball myself at the same time.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Banshee Rider said:
Hey, I just started road riding this year, and unfortunately will have to sell my road bike within the next week. Since i've never sold a road bike what can i expect to get when selling? I know the resale on mountain bikes is TERRIBLE, is it similar with road bikes? Basically I have an 05' R1000 from cannondale thats a few months old. Should i be able to expect 1200$ or is that to high or not enough? Any input would be good since i dont want to loose a sale, but dont want to lowball myself at the same time.
Seems as though the resale value on higher end road bikes is pretty good as long as it is like-new condition.......say under 1000 miles. Plus it onlly a few months old and is a current model. Check ebay and see what bikes like your's is selling for.

I sold a 10 month old Giant TCR2 a few years ago....bought it new for $1000 and sold it for $950.

mtnbikej

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mine only has 300 miles on it. Maybe I'll be able to get more on ebay, posting it for 1200 on forums doesnt seem to fly.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
In my experience, you get more money if you part it out on ebay (assuming it has good parts, I am not familiar with the bike you have). IT takes more work but it's worth it in the end. I know of people who actually buy new bikes and just turn around and part them out on ebay for profit....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Banshee Rider said:
I think $1200 is a good starting point. Unless you raced it, there is not the kind of wear and tear you get with mtn biking. No drops, rough stuff, and some roadies even avoid wet weather.

There are few moving parts because there is no suspension, and a aluminum frame is more durable than carbon. Also the parts on road bikes have not dramatically changed in the last 5 years. Dura-Ace might look different, but the functionality is the same.

AustinM

Chimp
Feb 22, 2005
people are also less afraid of buying a used road bike. With a used mountain bike you ahve to worry about the suspension and drivetrain/shifting (moreso)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
maybe do it with a reserve on ebay and a low starting fee to attract lots of hits. I was trying to buy a roadbike off of ebay for a long time and it's amazing how much people got away with selling them for. They are really hot items.