Quantcast

Research project.... Whistler use patterns?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Ok, PNW monkeys. Need your help. Please answer these questions best you can.

1. How often do you go to whistler during the bike season?
2. How many nights do you tend to stay?
3. Where do you stay? (hotel, condo, camp... ect). Name specific hotels if you go that route.
4. When you choose a hotel, do you base it on rate, location, security....??

I'm coming from the Seattle Area:

Once a month

Two Nights usually (Friday/Sat)

3. Where do you stay? (hotel, condo, camp... ect). Name specific hotels if you go that route.

Town Plaza Suites (Deer Lodge usually)

Rate - I've gotten pretty good rates at Town Plaza Suites
Security - Good security for the Bikes is paramount
Location - Prefereably in the Village.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1. ~14 days (well, at least last season, note that n = 3 for number of individual visits...)
2. ~3 nights (edited upon reflection)
3. condo, shared. forget the name of the hotel on the other trip
4. rate, ABILITY TO BRING BIKES INDOORS WITHOUT BEING HASSLED, location

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
1) 15 days +/-

2) 2-3 nights

3) Summit Lodge

4) Let you bring bikes in the rooms. Close to Kevin's favorite place for breaky. Good smelling soaps.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
answering myself.... last season I only day tripped so this reflects the other 3 seasons ive ridden there...

1. previous years, 3 trips average per season
2. 1-2 nights average overnight.
3. first year camp, all other times Hotels. Town plaza usually.
4. rate, security for bikes, location (in village)

i plan to make more overnight trips this upcoming year, and will stay in a hotel, maybe camp once.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
To clarify the reason for the questions. It came to my attention (really did take me too long) that groups get signifigantly better rates in whistler than individuals. Meaning if you can claim 100 room nights per year at a hotel you get a discount (made up number as I don't know the exact stat) I thought if the pnw monkies from WA, Speed metal and maybe even further could get a little organized (PNW Monkie Club) with a main contact you could get better rates at the hotel I work at or any others. I have spoken with the sales rep here and they are willing to work out a rate if I can get some numbers. Once we have the numbers and get a rate, it might be cheap enough to get someof the day riders to stay a night, and save some of the long term visitors some money. Amongst other things, Whistler is ever expanding, the more room nights for whistler the better, so in reality this could be a start to help whistler expand more (as far as I know this is a unique idea for a bike club to get rates so it could start something)

Anyways, I see the bike security thing being an issue, so my hotel may not work (great security but bike in rooms with no hassle would not happen, being sneaky would work), but as a group you guys could get signifigantly cheaper rates (25% cheaper in some cases)...something to think about ;)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Once a year for a week...
TOWN PLAZA!!!

Love that place. IT has everything.

Can non PNW monkeys get the rate too?

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Snacks said:
How big of a group are you talking about to get the discount?

I don't think you have to go with anyone.

It is more like saying... If I buy 100 movie tickets to use throughout the year, what price can I get?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I don't think this would really be limited by region. It would have to be some sort of informal club of sorts (monkies unite) that could help project numbers.

It would not have to be at the same time, it would simply be the ticket scenario. Our group will sell approx 100 rooms nights how much can we stay at your hotel for.

Town plaza is cool, I prefered Glacier Reach, a hottub for every room and the rooms are huge.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Roasted said:
I don't think this would really be limited by region. It would have to be some sort of informal club of sorts (monkies unite) that could help project numbers.

It would not have to be at the same time, it would simply be the ticket scenario. Our group will sell approx 100 rooms nights how much can we stay at your hotel for.

Town plaza is cool, I prefered Glacier Reach, a hottub for every room and the rooms are huge.
Multi room?

My friends SNORE. ;)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Keep in mind, if any of you know this, there is a nsmb.com club card which gets a 15% discount I think at some hotels. It could work in that manner with the monkies (or however you would want to organize) You literally buy yourself discounts. The more the merrier. I just know you guys make up a lot of room nights and could bring some realy buying power to the area.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
-BB- said:
Multi room?

My friends SNORE. ;)
What do you mean by multi room? There are limits to number of people per room legally, but you are also not supposed to bring your bikes into most hotels. Rules are meant to be bent ahahaha

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Roasted said:
What do you mean by multi room? There are limits to number of people per room legally, but you are also not supposed to bring your bikes into most hotels. Rules are meant to be bent ahahaha
Just on to two other people.

I just need to have a door that can close between me and my buddy.
TP suites are fine b/c one of us gets the bed, and one gets the couch.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Oly,

I'll go once and crash at a condo a friend of mine's mom owns.(Just clean it all up before you leave...)

Crashingsux isn't up there anymore for me to hole out at his place.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm too am coming from Seattle

Once a month is my goal. I think I made that last year.

Two Nights usually (Friday/Sat)

Tantalus Hotel. We stay there everytime so all the staff got to know us. They allow dogs too, which is essential for me.

I just like staying the same place everytime.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
oly said:
1. As much as possible, usually about 3 times.
2. Typically 3 nights.
3. Hotel/condo. I don't remember the names of the different hotels, but I've been to the Pan Pacific once (how I miss good exchange rates). In general, I've stayed in a condo. We got a dog in November, so that will probably limit us to certain places.
4. Rate is numero uno, but location is definitely second. I'm not aware of any really bad hotels, so quality is not a huge issue.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
#1- once or twice a week
#2- 1 maybe, but usually 0
#3- the best western,
#4- It's cheep, i can have my bike in the room and it's right by the lifts.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
1. 3 times a season
2. 2 days 2/3 nights
3.Whisky Jacks free with crappy seminar/skatepark dirt lot
4.rate rate rate... proximity to DJ's/DH

the parking lot is the best option by far!

theFOOT

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
nowhere
1: 1 or 2 times a season (for now hopefully more next season because ill have my license)
2: 5 nights, (best family vacation spot ever, no one else even rides :thumb: )

3: condo/time share, twin peaks resort

4: my parents chose

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I live in MT and

1. 2-3 times a season
2. 8-12 nitghts
3. Deer Lodge
4. mostly SECURITY but also rate

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
1. How often do you go to whistler during the bike season? - last year 5 weekends and one full week

2. How many nights do you tend to stay? Most weekends I drive to Squamish Friday night, camp at the cheif, ride whistler Sat, camp at cheif again, go home.

3. Where do you stay? (hotel, condo, camp... ect). Name specific hotels if you go that route.- Glacier's Reach when we sleep indoors.

4. When you choose a hotel, do you base it on rate, location, security....?? - both rate and comfort. I won't stay at a place that I can't take the bike in the room.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Tully said:
Can I come with you?

Hey oly, what exactly are you trying to find out? (That is, if you're allowed to disclose anything);)
Go to page 1 and read the post by roasted. He was interested in seeing about getting a discount "club" of sorts set up.... this is just to help him figure how many potential rm people there could be....

Fire Rider

Chimp
Sep 15, 2004
Kent "Upper E. side"
--18 Days '04 season
--2-5 Nights per stay
--Condo "Stoney Creek N. Star" (We enjoyed this place the most because of value, location and comfort.)
--We usually share the condo with 4-6 people.
--Bike security and lack of parking are the two biggest issues that need improvement.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA

In 04 I took 8 trips up there, rode about 12 days worth - I'm the king of 1-dayers.

Usually 1 night if it's not a dayer.

This past year I stayed at Sundial and Pan Pacific

4. When you choose a hotel, do you base it on rate, location, security....?

Location, location, location. I usually share the room w/ others so the price comes out to something reasonable.