Quantcast

residual oil vs. oil leak on a new fork?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by ifouiripilay, Dec 6, 2005.

1. ifouiripilay

ifouiripilay Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    hi, i just bought a new marz 66 fork. it had some oil marks on the fork during the delivery. i wiped it all off. to check if was leaking anywhere. i left the fork lying flat on the ground and saw a small amount of oil leaking around the seals. i'm not sure if residual or a bonified oil leak granted the fork won't be lying flat when its on the bike. i emailed marz they said it might be residual and if i think its more then to give them a call so i can return it. so how should and what determines this? the fork isn't even installed.

#1 -   Dec 6, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen or owned a fork that leaked before I even installed it. If you wiped it clean and it continued to leak without any interference there's probably something wrong with it. You weren't bouncing it around were you?

#2 -   Dec 6, 2005
  3. Spunger

Spunger Git yer dumb questions here

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Usually on a new fork (my manipoo 1:00) does this, but it's like pre-assembly lube. It should eventually go away. If it just leaves a little ring then that's what it is, but if after riding and wiping and riding and wiping it's still there then there is a problem. But otherwise if it's a new fork there will be a little bit of pre-lube from assembly.

#3 -   Dec 7, 2005