Quantcast

residual oil vs. oil leak on a new fork?

ifouiripilay

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
san diego, north park
hi, i just bought a new marz 66 fork. it had some oil marks on the fork during the delivery. i wiped it all off. to check if was leaking anywhere. i left the fork lying flat on the ground and saw a small amount of oil leaking around the seals. i'm not sure if residual or a bonified oil leak granted the fork won't be lying flat when its on the bike. i emailed marz they said it might be residual and if i think its more then to give them a call so i can return it. so how should and what determines this? the fork isn't even installed.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen or owned a fork that leaked before I even installed it. If you wiped it clean and it continued to leak without any interference there's probably something wrong with it. You weren't bouncing it around were you?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Usually on a new fork (my manipoo 1:00) does this, but it's like pre-assembly lube. It should eventually go away. If it just leaves a little ring then that's what it is, but if after riding and wiping and riding and wiping it's still there then there is a problem. But otherwise if it's a new fork there will be a little bit of pre-lube from assembly.