Quantcast

Resort DH

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Ok so Keystone and Vail offer Dh during the summer. Does anybody know if Copper or Winter Park will be offering challenging DH Runs this upcoming Summer

Thanks

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Winter Park... is very doubtful. They haven't had anything great in the past. They are more XC oriented. As for Copper, again very doubtful. They are now controlled by intrawest(whistler), but as of last year they had no plans.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I wouldn't say no to Winter Park as they just bought a fleet (40) kona's for rentals. They're amped to get the DH/FR scene going, so be patient, they're trying. Copper, Bwa ha ha ha. I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl. But seriously, the way I understand it, they're trying to discourage the DH scene at Copper. Vail, Keystone, and eventually WP will be your best bet.

:thumb:

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Copper has two things going against them: 1.)They pissed the forest service off a couple years back after covering up a diesal spill up and lost any hope of building much new on that mountain for years to come(winter or summer). 2.) Even if they could have built stuff, the resort sits on something like 90 percent wetlands from what I hear which really puts a knot in things.

Winter park has the will, but like most other areas, the forest service is in the way. So we'll see what happens with it.

fly rider

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
broomfield
I talked with Winter Park last month. They are also owned be Intrawest and said they were adding jumps and stunts this year. They said they wanted to slowly progress until they were similar to Whistler. They are not adding any new trails, though, which I think they are in desperate need of. The existing trails are weak. If they want to be like Whistler they better start cutting some rowdy trails. I also asked if they would be having dh races. They said no. Winter Park is just too lame to get their act together. Oh well.

ladge

Chimp
May 5, 2002
Arvada
snowskilz said:
Ok so Keystone and Vail offer Dh during the summer. Does anybody know if Copper or Winter Park will be offering challenging DH Runs this upcoming Summer

Thanks
You might be going downhill, but it wouldn't be challenging at Copper/Winter Park. Copper had a "DH" race I think three years ago - the front range xc riding spots were tougher and more fun than their DH trail. If that is Copper DH, then they can keep it! :eviltongu

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I'm SO bum'd the Beave took out DHing. I did that Treelined to Rocklined w/a couple of Beave locals. On my Karp Army, I ended up mostly front side manualling down the entire run which should give you a idea how steep it was; sooo friggin' much fun! They only had this one good run, but well worth the venture from Vail for a bit during your day.
Steamboat supposedly is trying to get something going but the lack of foresight and vision is this resorts biggest hurdle. A little group of maniacs approached the resort to offer free labor and design for the trail (which could cater to a WC event if the trail that was proposed took), and was promptly shut down.