Quantcast

Resturant Concept?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have been playing around with opening a restaurant. My idea is to offer dinner service around a open Kitchen where you can watch your food be prepared. I will have dinner entrees but will focus on things you can snack on. In fact most of the items on my menu would be light or small and cheap. I also like the idea of sitting down and eating pizza in a casual dining environment. So that will be a secondary focus. Farm to table would be another focus.

A realistic approach to Beer and Wine, which means overtime I will adjust pairings of wine, beer, and liquor to the food as requested by you. I don't want to teach you what you like and then charge a premium for it. I like to compile info about your food order and what you decide to drink with it. Then adjust my offerings to that.

Other things I would focus on is the Kitchen would be stocked with high end Kitchen appliances and equipment instead of professional stuff. I feel the quality is there and it brings a familiar feel to the experience. That and it would promote the sale of my local vendors wares and that relationship would keep me above the curve on equipment and save a boatload on operating costs. The tables and settings would also be from local vendors and artisans. Nothing from Ikea, Sysco, or anybody in that vain. Actual wares you can buy for your home from local vendors. Just ask....

Sin Bins also. For no additional fee you can reserve a sin bin for private individual dining or for private parties or a couple celebrating a anniversary or whatever. Business dinner in a small private area to foster comfort and the experience is elevated in a cool Mr Bigshot way without the pretension or fuss. No children would ever be allowed in a Sin Bin. We will help you celebrate, but we wouldn't celebrate ourselves. We would only be there to facilitate or promote. Low key service and not tip seekers also.

Also I would like to hire kids out of cooking school to use us as a stepping stone to further their careers. To promote continual advancement I will try not to hire career cooks so as to continually change the concept by bringing in new blood and ideas. Overtime we would change the decor, menu, vendors, and staff. So that the concept doesn't become stagnant or boring. A focus on local art and history also. No TV's in the bar. No wifi. Just food and drink.

Would that be something you would enjoy? I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Jim

Last edited:

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I like the concept especially sans tv. I don't watch much tv and haven't had one in a very long time so it is very distracting/obnoxious in restaurants and bars. The possible pitfall I see is losing the establishments identity trying to get people to tell you what they want. If enough people think your concept is good, fun, consistent, and still holds true to the og vision they will come back. When I think of restaurants I like the commonalitys are consistency, clean, unique, and serve something I can't or won't make at home. What city if you don't mind me asking?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Theres a concept here in Holland that has been extremely popular.
Its basically like tapas or sushi, you get 5 rounds to order food from a menu. 3 small dishes per round and everything at a fixed price.
Dishes can vary from starters to dessert, but everything in small portions. Side dishes are also on the menu and can be ordered as a normal dish per each round. Everybody at the table gets a list where you can just check a box for what you want to eat each round.
Soup, tempura shrimp, chicken wings etc for starters. Steak, fries, pizza etc as a a main. Ice cream, cake, coffee etc as dessert. You can order what you want wether its 5 rounds of steak or 5 rounds of ice cream, doesnt matter.
Non alcoholic drinks are usually included, alcohol is not, but i guess you can incorporate this in the price/concept any way you want.

Portions look like this...

Dont know if you guys do this in the US but here its been a very profitable bussines models for a few years now.

Its kinda fun and usally not that expensive.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I like the concept especially sans tv. I don't watch much tv and haven't had one in a very long time so it is very distracting/obnoxious in restaurants and bars. The possible pitfall I see is losing the establishments identity trying to get people to tell you what they want. If enough people think your concept is good, fun, consistent, and still holds true to the og vision they will come back. When I think of restaurants I like the commonalitys are consistency, clean, unique, and serve something I can't or won't make at home. What city if you don't mind me asking?
Paramus NJ and or Waterdown ON to start. You can make everything on my menu at home. Just not as well or timely as I can. I have a set menu and all the dishes are established and perfected. Business plan, design, and Investor Prospectus in the pipeline... My Benefactor has bigger plans and her confidence in my concept is inspiring.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Breastaurants with scantily clad large chested women have been successful lately. Perhaps you could offer an alternative with well endowed men in short shorts. House specialties could include sausage dishes and frozen bananas for dessert. You could call it Boner Apetit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Another million dollar idea is the Ridemonkey themed restaurant. Food is served on large shimz. Cooks only use woks and microwaves. Signature dish is bacon wrapped crack baby. There will be a free ride section. And of course Rootbeer.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Lizard Town
I think it sounds awesome
Another million dollar idea is the Ridemonkey themed restaurant. Food is served on large shimz. Cooks only use woks and microwaves. Signature dish is bacon wrapped crack baby. There will be a free ride section. And of course Rootbeer.
But what's gonna look flexy???

Jm_

Turbo Monkey
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Change the standards every week.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Lizard Town
@jdcamb i think your ideas sound really cool and I would definitely go there. Being the Yeti of the culinary world is a very cool idea! I would only encourage you to have some unique "favorites" (established through input of others/ popularity once you're up and running) that will stay on the menu indefinitely. I say this because a lot of times, if i find something unique I love at a restaurant, I stick with that food item at that restaurant.

The beauty of a place like yours, with small portions, would allow me to branch out and try new things every time, knowing that I can get rely on getting my favorite dish from your restaraunt at future visits.

(why I love good track sushi: small portions/ never too expensive or wasteful to be adventurous).

Good luck, sir!

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I just like to cook. I don't want to be a personality that cooks. Or some kind of leader or anything. I have manged to be successful in most of my endeavors. None of which have involved cooking. I don't want to teach you what to like. I take requests. Currently balls deep on the new endeavor. Fucking tripping out on this.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I avoid trendy restaurants because I don't like paying for atmosphere and status. The best restaurants have an eclectic clientele, where the food is real and doesn't break the bank. Nachos on the menu ALWAYS helps.

In Cambodia I ate at a locals spot twice, once for breakfast and once at dinner. In the morning a woman ran it and cooked her food, it was great bacon, eggs, rice. The quality of the eggs and bacon was very good. At dinner her brother ran a completely different restaurant, reorganized, serving another style of food. It was good too but the breakfast was better.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
JD, I think your restaurant sounds awesome. My wife and I really enjoy restaurants where you watch the kitchen make your food. Its even better when you can interact with the cooks/kitchen crew as well.

Small plates are also great, so long as the price is right. There are a lot places around me that are going to small plates and charging big $$$ for them. Nothing pisses me off more then getting 3 mediocre half dollar size sliders and paying $15 for it. $5 a bite is absurd.

Beer/wine pairing suggestions only makes your idea better.

Evolving menu is also key for us, we tend not to go back to restaurants that don't change their menu after a few visits. We enjoy trying new things, or at the least, new iterations.

Being able to purchase plates and whatnot is a cool idea, but i wouldn't see myself capitalizing on it unless there was something unique. Using high end consumer tools in the kitchen is cool, makes it seem what your staff is doing is accessible and achievable at home.

A really cool concept at a couple restaurants we've been to had a full on garden on site. Was cool to eat out in the garden and have the line cooks/bar tenders come out to the garden for their herbs and garnishes. Everything in the garden was edible and being used in the kitchen. Really took the farm to table concept up a notch.

Ill also second vinny on the main reason we go back to places,
consistency, clean, unique, and serve something I can't or won't make at home
the bolded being the most important, as we usually go above and beyond for our home cooking.

Best of luck in your endeavor. Please keep us updated as you progress through it.

Sep 11, 2015
You should start a "deep-fry-your-own-shit" restaurant. Kinda like a fondue place, but with deep fryers and different types of oil, breading, etc. You could call it "Fryer in the Hole."

I don't see what could go wrong, and it would be very popular in the south.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You should start a "deep-fry-your-own-shit" restaurant. Kinda like a fondue place, but with deep fryers and different types of oil, breading, etc. You could call it "Fryer in the Hole."

Offer delivery, use diesels that will burn the old fryer oil and stink up the neighborhood with delicious deep fryer smells.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

You might be surprised to find how many Famous Chefs around the world got their start in the south or just were raised there.

http://www.jamesbeard.org/awards

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My fried chicken is the best you ever had. So my ideas aren't that cohesive. With my friends help I am making a Prospectus of the Concept. Her idea is to put my ideas in a organized manner to market the concept. I would think that foolish normally. But I have been offered 2 proposals so far. They both have asked for such info. My failure seems to be me being able to get my point across to others in person when they are drunk on wine after I cook for them. Often at my expense.

My fried chicken is the best you ever had. So my ideas aren't that cohesive. With my friends help I am making a Prospectus of the Concept. Her idea is to put my ideas in a organized manner to market the concept. I would think that foolish normally. But I have been offered 2 proposals so far. They both have asked for such info. My failure seems to be me being able to get my point across to others in person when they are drunk on wine after I cook for them. Often at my expense.
No fried chicken will ever surpass that prepared by the rev. Lillian Tinsley of Atlanta, Georgia in the mid-1950s. That is all.

stevew

unique white person
Sep 21, 2001
a boat would be a cheaper hole to throw money down.

but i hope it works out.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I got my Prospectus done and shipped it to a interested party. In conversation he declared it a possibly the most hilariously stupid concept he was asked to be involved in. And that I should get back in the Kitchen. He likes my food and says I have talent as a cook but he would never be interested in investing in any Restaurant I would be the primary in. It was fucking harsh to say the least. My solace is that he is in the Garbage industry in New Jersey....

Last edited:

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Well, take an opinion for what it is, be as impartial as you can and look at the criticisms made, see if there is anything that will improve your idea, but don't dwell on for to long because in the end they/he could be just a jerk(s). I'm working on a "out of the norm" project as well so I'm sorta saying this to myself as well, hoping it's encouraging for you. Best of luck!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I know a restauranteur that has had a couple of successes and lots of failures throughout his life. He ended up with nothing but is always looking for funding for his next big/crazy idea (always has great stories/rumors to tell). He had a stroke and lost his apartment above one of his successful restaurants he sold off decades ago and has lost his marbles at the end of his life. It's pretty sad and nobody gives him money to burn anymore. The stroke really screwed him up.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I knew this was going to be a foolish endeavor. I was just asked why I don't put up the money myself. Truth be told I don't have it. I did however spend $2k to extrapolate my idea better. I really do not want to move to Jersey/Pennsylvania to lose my ass on a ego trip, mine or anybody else's.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I may develope a menu and train the Chef to execute it. My idea for a institutional Kitchen to service local business' Cafeterias is moving forward. They have a Old folks community interested in signing on. Just without me.