Quantcast

Results of Old Pueblo

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
mcgowanc said:
aww you are too kind!! You kicked some serious arse!! Yes .. maybe we will have to do the next 24 hour on your turf.
Thanks....(blushing) I am really not a good/fast rider, but to ride in AZ with all of you was totally AMAZING!!! I am ready to do it all over again (I think) ;)

Sidenote: I'm downloading the camera now.....time to post some more pics!

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Now that I've got some time, I've decided to type up the play-by-play. Sit down and brace yourselves, it is going to be a nail biter.

First off, the day before the race, chicken hawk, one of the West Coast boys, takes it upon himself to perform his yearly bike maintenance. He checks his front tire (which he's used since I've known him) and decides it is looking pretty shot. I give him a tire off my spare bike, which fits his clapped out rim like a magnum condom on his own wang, which is pretty darn loose. Anyway, this becomes important later.

Lap 1: T-Dog vs. Westy
They finish the run side by side and take off mid pack. It is raining and quite messy right from the start. According to reports, they blaze through the field, and make it into the top 20 by the finish, with Westy never quite able drop T-Dog. During the exchange, the East team (in an obvious attempt to gain some sort of advantage) doesn't follow the rules and doesn't get the lap properly recorded. In an honorable show of sportsmanship, the West doesn't have them immediately disqualified, and the race goes on under a heavy cloud of suspicion over the East.
Standings after lap 1: East leads by 1 min, 9 sec.

Lap 2: Weber vs. Douglas
Still raining, our ringer blows past Douglas so fast that poor Doug ends up face down in the dirt with no rear brakes. Sabotage is suspected but never proven.
Standings after lap 2: West leads by 1 min, 53 sec.

Lap 3: chicken hawk vs. Sq-Earl
Rain. Chicken hawk borrows a Scalpel for this lap. No reports of anything exciting.
Standings after lap 3: West leads by 2 min, 7 sec.

Lap 4: ghostrider vs. Echo (bro vs. bro)
More rain. Echo catches me sleeping about half way around. Echo delivers some cold smacktalk as he blows by. I step it up and shadow Echo for the next five miles, trying to keep a low profile. We are passing people left and right. When we hit the climb, I drop the hammer, hoping to gain some respect back. I re-pass Echo and come up behind Treesaw soon after. I give her the traditional smack on the ass as I go by, and in a heart-stopping moment, I throw myself off balance and have to jump off, hurdle a cactus and get going with Echo hot on my tail.
Standings after lap 4: West leads by 20 seconds

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
MMcG said:
What were some of the equipment difficulties people experienced? I read on mtbr.com where there was a hail storm - is this accurate??? Anyone get caught out in that storm?
I was out in the hail storm! all I could think was left right left right left right....
almost 30 hrs no sleep works you over good...

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
WOOT! :D

What a f'ing good time with a bunch of cool & fast riding monkeys!!!

oh, and by the way the East Coast team won all 3 monkey trophys (team, fastest lap, fastest female lap) :D

Attachments

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Lap 5: mcgowanc vs. Gee Spot
Rain still falls, darkness approaching. Apparently the lead changes hands a few times, with Gee Spot finally getting the upper hand.
Standings after lap 5: East leads by 3 min, 10 sec.

Lap 6: T-Dog vs. Westy; round two.
The rain stops for Westy. In a show of West Coast cunning, T-Dog purchases a new Niterider helmet light for the race, yet decides to leave it back at the base and rely on his bar light, which has never failed to let him down on a ride. The light fails on schedule, at the halfway mark. T-Dog keeps up his pace, risking life and limb. Sabotage is not suspected in this instance. Westy returns complaining his pinky hurts, which slowed him down a little.
Standings after lap 6: East leads by 9 min, 37 sec.

Lap 7: Weber vs. Douglas; round two.
Douglas borrows a Scalpel for this lap. No reports of anything major, except more rain. Our ringer gains back 5 minutes.
Standings after lap 7: East leads by 4 min, 38 sec.

Lap 8: chicken hawk vs. Sq-Earl; round two.
Now it is really raining. Chicken hawk borrows a Prophet. No reports of any excitement.
Standings after lap 8: East leads by 5 min, 2 sec.

Lap 9: ghostrider vs. Echo; round two.
The weather gets even worse. It is now pouring rain. Then it rains harder. The washes are flooded and raging. The climbs are like waterfalls, the singletrack like a log flume, the fire roads are moose poop. I was truly amazed what a mountain bike can get through on this lap. Then, at the base of the climb, I pass Echo and lay down some cold retaliation smacktalk. Ah, sweet revenge. I return to the tent with a three minute lead, totally pumped up from racing, but Chelsea is nowhere to be found. Apparently there was some debate about whether to continue in those conditions, with the women finally deciding to push on. Unfortunately, Chelsea had to work out some issues with Niterider, and Gee Spot was able to get started and gain ten minutes before Chelsea could get underway. This is where it started to go wrong for the West.
Standings after lap 9: West leads by 3 min, 46 sec.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Lap 10: mcgowanc vs. Gee Spot; round two:
Rain is still coming down. Chelsea works hard to make up ground on the hard charging Gee Spot. She crashes good on the final DH but lives to ride another day.
Standings after lap 10: East leads by 8 min, 47 sec.

Lap 11: T-Dog vs. Westy; round three.
Rain stops for Westy. No reports of any real excitement. Westy’s hair gets slightly out of position, requires attention after the lap.
Standings after lap 11: East leads by 13 min, 5 sec.

Lap 12: Weber vs. Douglas; round three.
More rain. I think there was sleet on this lap. Race goes on. Our ringer earns back a few minutes.
Standings after lap 12: East leads by 10 min, 15 sec.

Lap 13: chicken hawk vs. Sq-Earl; round three.
Here is where it all went wrong for the west. Chicken hawk experiences a blowout at the exchange tent. The tire blows off the rim and everybody in the tent takes cover. Green Slime covers the compound. Chicken hawk has to run a half mile back to the camp, find his old tire and get back down and change it. The whole ordeal wastes about 20 minutes. Damn that tire.
Standings after lap 13: East leads by 29 min, 46 sec.

Lap 14: ghostrider vs. Echo; round three.
The rain has stopped and the sun is rising. Trail is still a mess in most places, drying out in others. I’m working hard to make up the difference. Echo is up there somewhere, but never caught. I’m able to gain back 9 minutes, but darn near kill myself in the process.
Standings after lap 14: East leads by 20 min, 49 sec.

Lap 15: mcgowanc vs. Gee Spot; round three.
Sun is shining. Chelsea looks like she got hit by a truck. I tell her she must catch Gee Spot or die trying. She works hard at both, and gains back 7 minutes. Unfortunately, T-Dog is not in the tent, he’s shopping for a Cannondale demo instead. Probably costs 10 minutes of searching. I’m working on a bonehead trophy for next year.
Standings after lap 15: East leads by 13 min, 12 sec.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Damn, that was one of the best vacations ever. I gotta get some sleep, but I'll be sure and do a writeup while slacking on Xerox's dime tomorrow :D

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Lap 16: T-Dog vs. Westy; round four.
It is all over now. Westy kicks butt and wins the fastest lap, cruelly taking it from our ringer in pristine conditions. Returns without a speck of dirt. Complains of wrist pain due to sluggish grip shifter. Still hasn’t noticed the chewing gum we stuffed in there.
Standings after lap 16: East leads by 31 min, 8 sec.

Lap 17: Weber vs. Douglas; round four.
West coast’s last lap due to the late return of T-Dog on his fancy demo. Douglas cranks out a fast lap, as does our ringer. Trail conditions and weather are perfect now.
Standings after lap 17: East leads by 28 min, 58 sec.

Lap 18: Sq-Earl all by himself.
Lucky boy gets the best conditions of the race.

East Coast takes the win! Much beer is swilled. Congrats to them, they rode hard, didn’t make mistakes, and came a long way to crush our West Coast pride. Can’t wait till next year – I want the Ridemonkey Cup back. Let the smacktalk begin!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
awesome writeup mr. ghostrider!!!

I would like to add:

Lap7.
Douglas overly excited on a working (demo) bike goes out hard, too hard. also with all of the commotion getting said bike forgets to eat & drink enough between laps. At mile 5 he bonks, and bonks hard. By mile 8 he wants to walk - somehow he keeps pedaling for another 8 miles and finishes lap. Douglas stumbles to Cannondale tent, sees fuzzy object next to him, realizes it's Treesaw......and without her help to get keep back to camp he would still be laying in a puddle behind the Cannondale truck.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MMcG said:
What were some of the equipment difficulties people experienced? I read on mtbr.com where there was a hail storm - is this accurate??? Anyone get caught out in that storm?
I also was caught in a hail storm!

before I do another 24 I am buying HID lights!!!

edit: and will have spare brake pads!!

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Great write up ghostrider. You actually make riding around in circles, and in crappy conditions, for 24 hours seem fun. Almost.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
DAMN YOU ghostrider, my heart is pounding thinking about all the head-to-head racing i've done with my buddies and how much fun suffering can be :)
that's a great write up.
i'm ready for another 24! I might actually race on a team again some time this year.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
here's a little chart I made.........us east coasters pretty much decided Treesaw gets the 'most improved' rider award!!

linky
Doug...how long was a lap? Also, are those lap times in your chart? Sure Treesaw's are correct? 4 & 8 hour laps?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:
Doug...how long was a lap? Also, are those lap times in your chart? Sure Treesaw's are correct? 4 & 8 hour laps?

lap times start when the last rider comes in, and being no one from here team was on the course, her official lap times had several hours extra added on to them

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
splat said:
Why didn't anyone but Treesaw go out for a 2nd lap on Blood , sweat and Beers ?
James did a second lap, got stuck in the crazy downpour at about 1:00 AM. It looks like the lap is not on Dougs chart.

Gee Spot

Chimp
Sep 13, 2002
rochester, ny
Just so everyone knows i managed to toast my camera but I was able to get all the pics... I will post them later when Mtbkngrl gets home and shows me what the hell to do... :cool:

I had an amazing time but the best part was meeting several awesome people.. :thumb:

first the hospitatility of the west costers.. WOW... you made our stay very comfortable and filled with many laughs... Thanks to Ghostrider and his wife for putting me up, you two rock... T-Dog and girl Terri... thank you very much for all the wonderful food and rock'in fun... Love to all the dogs ... :love: Thanks to Kevin and James for bring out the trailers... Heat was a key thing at 3 a.m. Calvin.. all I can say is you are one funny MF'er.... and a kick a$$ cook! Mike W. it was a pleasure to meet you and thanks for hooking me up with the leatherman... a key tool when you like to get a little closer to a cacti then is comfortable. Kevin ...what a work horse... I don't think this man isnt happy unless he is doing some sort of manual labor... ur awesome! There is so much to thank u all for so I'll toss in a big THANK YOU TO ALL! :thumb:

Riding with the east cost team was a blast... Westy and Douglas it was a pleasure meeting you guys and I look forward to riding with you both again... I got a kick a$$ pic of Westy after the race with a nice big drunk'in smile and one of Doug becoming a little to friendly with a cacti...:) As for the suprise of standing on the podium with Sue Haywood.. well what can one say.. :love: and she took the time out to come over and give her congrates to all of us... a show of tru love for mountain biking..

About the race.. well I won't get into detail but between the mechanical's and the weather... it was one tough a$$ fight... very taxing on the body both physically and mentally.. I have learned a lot and will be better prepared next time round...

Chelsea, it was great to meet and hang with you.. you made me laugh even thu the typhoon! :thumb: and thu all ur light troubles you brought my broken a$$ bike back up to camp...I can't thank you enough.. It was awesome riding with you and lots of fun... maybe we can do it some time outside of race mode.. :D

Treesaw... Girl you rock! the improvement and drive you showed was amazing! Keep working girl and you will be right up in the front of the pack with everyone eating ur dust! :thumb:

And a perfect ending to a perfect trip... had a great ride on tues in tucson with Earl, Treesaw, Doug, and John... :D

In spite of the fact of all the snow and cold and prob not being able to ride my MTBike outside for another 2-3 months or so... it was most excellent coming home to Mtbkngrl and Bellie :love: ....and for anyone who doesnt know she is doing much better.. blood count is up to 30%...YAAAAA!

Oh, I almost forgot... to Victor... the best bike shop owner and a great friend :love: ...Thanks for everything... u made it all possible.... May the T-Blazer flame burn on!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
douglas said:
here's a little chart I made.........us east coasters pretty much decided Treesaw gets the 'most improved' rider award!!

linky
Sweet little chart you got there. I timed my laps with my watch and for my 2nd lap I went out at 6:12am and returned at 8:08am (1hr 56min) and my 3rd lap I went out at 11:16am and returned at 1:01pm (1hr 46min). So, I think my average was about 1hr 48min or something like that.

I wish I had gone out at 1:30am when I woke up and realized that someone should be out riding and then it started to rain/hail or whatever and I said...I'll just do the sunrise lap :D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
the sun rise lap is the 'Glory Lap' it's an amazing feeling going from full dark to full light with the sun rise. That person should have to do back to back laps :)
doing a 24 hour solo i deam about that lap as soon as the sun goes down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just think it kicks ass how well Squirrel, Echo, GeeSpot, Douglas, TreeSaw and Chelsea performed. Pretty much not being able to ride outside for the past few months then showing up in the desert digging deep and kicking ass against a bunch of people who are in the middle of their prime riding season. :thumb: :thumb:

You guys rock.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
The Toninator said:
the sun rise lap is the 'Glory Lap' it's an amazing feeling going from full dark to full light with the sun rise. That person should have to do back to back laps :)
doing a 24 hour solo i deam about that lap as soon as the sun goes down.
I almost did, but then my stomach started yelling at me and I headed back up to monkey camp for some food before heading out again. Problem is, I was so excited having done the sunrise lap and seeing a coyote that I forgot to refill the camelbak and left my heavy-arse niterider HID battery (the waterbottle kind) in my pack :p

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
I just think it kicks ass how well Squirrel, Echo, GeeSpot, Douglas, TreeSaw and Chelsea performed. Pretty much not being able to ride outside for the past few months then showing up in the desert digging deep and kicking ass against a bunch of people who are in the middle of their prime riding season. :thumb: :thumb:

You guys rock.
Don't forget Kalvin, Mrs. T-Dog and jventura, facing down their fears and riding their first race in difficult conditions. Just completing a lap out there was no simple feat.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
Sweet little chart you got there. I timed my laps with my watch and for my 2nd lap I went out at 6:12am and returned at 8:08am (1hr 56min) and my 3rd lap I went out at 11:16am and returned at 1:01pm (1hr 46min). So, I think my average was about 1hr 48min or something like that.

I wish I had gone out at 1:30am when I woke up and realized that someone should be out riding and then it started to rain/hail or whatever and I said...I'll just do the sunrise lap :D

updated

Linky

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
The Old Pueblo--a recap

Our flight arrived in Tucson around 7:30pm on Thursday where we were met by Echo & Mike (the west coast ringer) to begin our trek out into the desert. We were hungry and soon discovered that the pizza joints seem to close at 9pm :confused: but we did manage to find a chicken place that also closed at 9pm but was willing to hook us up with a great deal of grub that fed us (and the rest of the team the next day) for $8. :D Off we went to set up monkey camp in the desert. The camp/race site is about 15 miles into the desert and the dirt road that later became a path was quite treacherous. Two of the campers suffered severe damage trying to navigate the car eating bumps and washes, but we made it through the mud to our little compound.

A shot of our camp on Friday:

Friday we had pancakes for breakfast and set out for a pre-ride while the sun was shining.

Here's our group getting ready to begin the pre-ride.

A few pre-ride shots:
First up - Chicken Hawk, Ghostrider & Douglas navigating some cacti-infested singletrack.

TreeSaw looking for a clean line.

Group coming through the singletrack

GeeSpot & Echo making their way through the cactus obstacles

Chelsea rippin' a fun section before the climb.

Then it was back to the monkey compound just before the first of many storms hit for some dinner, beers and pre-race smack talkin'.