Quantcast

Resume help... err, cover letter help

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm getting ready to apply for a job, but they are asking for a cover letter, a resume, and 3 references. The resume and references I've got... but I haven't written a cover letter in eons. What's the point... what should it accomplish? Any tips?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MtnBikerChk said:
exactly!

it should peak the reader's interest while also telling them something that's not in your resume.
Precisely!

It should contain facts about yourself, while not duplicating the resume within.

the cover letter should highlight the skills you have learned in your past jobs, such as:
-managed large scale projects
-excellent sales experience through your years of experience
-your a people person (just kidding)
-your energy level and willingness to get the job done (not those exact words)

Also don't forget to use key words in your cover letter such as the ones I'm sure you've already used in your resume.

I hope that helps and good luck!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
don't forget to tape a few extra bucks onto the back of the letter, you never know...

j/k--i personally hate writing cover letters, there are so many different ways you can go and a lot of hr staffs look for different things. however, a friend of my father told me once that he used to like it when the applicant would put something in the letter that made him/her stand out from everyone else (skydiving, pamplona, etc...). personally, i'm not all about my job/career and won't make it my entire life. i'll briefly mention/summarize some work-related stuff that i do, but i'll make it a point to show that i'm a well rounded person who will work and play hard. go to town on the letter and try to have fun (it's much easier to tell someone how to write one than it is to do it yourself).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i wrote and sent out over sixty resumes this winter when i was looking for a job. got four interviews out of the bunch (including this one below), one of which panned out. here's my standard template:

NAME
ADDRESS
EMAIL
PHONE / cell: CELLPHONE

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am a recent graduate from SCHOOLNAME, where I concentrated in MAJOR. In addition to PREVIOUSJOBSUMMARY1, I also have significant experience as PREVIOUSJOBSUMMARY2. HOWTHISISRELEVANT.

(ed: this job was for writing software for a Japanese/American bilingual company, so insert relevant skill/trait here instead) In addition, I am half Japanese, have travelled extensively in Japan, and have studied the language both in college and in high school. Due to my unique SKILLSETORCOOLTRAIT, I believe that I am qualified to serve as POSITIONNAME for COMPANYNAME.

Furthermore, I am willing and indeed eager to relocate to COMPANYLOCATION area.

Sincerely,

NAME