Quantcast

resume help: references list

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
so, who do you throw down on there? a mix of coworkers, bosses, and the occasional life-long friend?

oh- friends im throwing in there just happen to aso be in a similar industry as project managers- that cool?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
First off, make sure you take to each person to make sure they know what you want them to say.

I generally have 3 professional and 2-3 personal references. Managers are always good to have on there.

You also probably don't need to supply the ref list with your resume. They'll normally ask for it if they need it or you can put "References available upon request". It's just more paperwork to keep track of that they might not need, and that way you can give a quick call to your refs to let them know they might be called soon!

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Velocity Girl said:
First off, make sure you take to each person to make sure they know what you want them to say.

I generally have 3 professional and 2-3 personal references. Managers are always good to have on there.

You also probably don't need to supply the ref list with your resume. They'll normally ask for it if they need it or you can put "References available upon request". It's just more paperwork that they might not need.
references available upon request on the resume. issue is that the interview is today, and im sure they'll want references.

chatted with all reference list peeps- all are cool.

3 professional, 2-3 personal- right!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
2-3 people who can vouch for your work, professionalism, etc. Basically, will say your a good person to have on staff. 1-2 people who will say your a good, reliable person. Distinguish between the personal references and the professional ones, always list the professional ones first. Always have more professional references than you do personal.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I only use professional references. Some have turned into friends beyond work, but I make sure to only list people that I've worked with.

When I was in a position where I had to hire people, I ignored personal references. To me this said, "I don't have any work experience, but my buddy Joe thinks that I'm a great guy!" I'd only use your friends if you've worked with them.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
pixelninja said:
I only use professional references. Some have turned into friends beyond work, but I make sure to only list people that I've worked with.

When I was in a position where I had to hire people, I ignored personal references. To me this said, "I don't have any work experience, but my buddy Joe thinks that I'm a great guy!" I'd only use your friends if you've worked with them.

so, guys from the local MTB club are off the list? damn.

kidding. thanks for all the help, :monkey: worker types

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
slowSSer said:
references available upon request on the resume. issue is that the interview is today, and im sure they'll want references.
I think putting "References available upon request" on a resume is kind of pointless. Of course references are available upon request. It goes without saying. Why waste resume space saying something that is assumed anyway? Just have the list of references on you in case they ask for them (which they probably will).

I Are Baboon said:
I think putting "References available upon request" on a resume is kind of pointless. Of course references are available upon request. It goes without saying. Why waste resume space saying something that is assumed anyway? Just have the list of references on you in case they ask for them (which they probably will).

ditto. employers just see that as FILLER.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
I Are Baboon said:
the resons for putting it are threefold:

-makes a resume shorter (two pages is ideal - if possible- I cant get mine below 2.5- keep in mind people lose interest after the 3 page mark, unless its you're cirriculum vitae (sp?))

-most of the time, you PDF a res to someone, or it gets found on monster, and a ref list isnt sometimes the best thing to throw on there.

-a ref list is personal/private info of a sort.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
slowSSer said:
the resons for putting it are threefold:

-makes a resume shorter (two pages is ideal - if possible- I cant get mine below 2.5- keep in mind people lose interest after the 3 page mark, unless its you're cirriculum vitae (sp?))

-most of the time, you PDF a res to someone, or it gets found on monster, and a ref list isnt sometimes the best thing to throw on there.

-a ref list is personal/private info of a sort.
I think the point that was being made is 1) Its even shorter without any reference to references and 2) Its a given that if an employer is interested, they'll ask for a list regardless of whether you provide a "references available upon request" statement.

I don't think it would hurt to provide the request statement, but I do think its a given.