Quantcast

resume/job app followup: need avice

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I recently submitted my resume for a job at Arizona State University. The job suits me well and I'm very qualified for it. The biggest thing against me is that I'm 3000 miles away, which might be a bit of a deterrant.

I'm going to be in Tucson the first week in March (visiting my father). I was thinking about sending ASU an e-mail letting them know that I would be in AZ if they wanted me to come in for an interview or whatever.

First off, anyone think this is a bad idea?

Assuming it is a good idea (which I think it is), I'm struggling with how to word the e-mail so it doesn't sound desperate or pathetic.

Something like:

To whom it may concern:

I recently submitted my resume for job xyz. I am going to be in Tucson March 6-11 visiting family and would be pleased to speak with you while I am there.

If this works with your schedule, feel free to contact me so we can set something up.
Any tips?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Did you tell them where you lived?
Have you gotten an interview scheduled?
If they are not willing to foot the bill ‘I’d’ pony up the nickel and go out on their terms. Could just be me looking at it.
I’m not a big fan of the email deal. But again i havent had much experience in this arena. IRB is a good source of info on this matter.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I would change it a little, make it sound like you are wanting to go to them instead of them being lucky to have you in town. Other than that it always helps to look keen.

jacksonpt said:
To whom it may concern:

I recently submitted my resume for job xyz. I am going to be in Tucson March 6-11 visiting family and would be grateful if it would be possible to meet and discuss the position whilst I am in the area.

Please let me know if it is possible to fit a meeting into your schedule so that we could arrange details.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i think its a great idea...

i would also word it to say that you are interested in seeing their facilities etc etc.. learning more about there program etc etc and by visiting it wopuld be a great way to do that..
also if your dealing with a certain person, you would love to meet htem in person and put a face to the name

show tremendous interest in their work/jobs

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
is this sounding any better?

To whom it may concern:

I recently submitted my resume for job xyz. I am going to be in Tucson March 6-11 visiting family and would enjoy the opportunity to meet with you to discuss the position.

Please let me know if this is a possibility so we can work out the details. I look forward to hearing from you, and the chance to see campus in person.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think it's a great idea. It would be best if you can get a point of contact to address the email to (if you haven't yet).

As long as they know you have no issues relocating, it should be a non-issue. Good luck.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
My $ .02 - besides the email, spend an hour or so tracking down the appropriate people, and CALL THEM. E-mails are convenient, but impersonal and a bit lazy.

You want to make a connection with these people and convince them that they want to meet with you... and the best way to do that is by talking to them.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Slugman said:
My $ .02 - besides the email, spend an hour or so tracking down the appropriate people, and CALL THEM. E-mails are convenient, but impersonal and a bit lazy.

You want to make a connection with these people and convince them that they want to meet with you... and the best way to do that is by talking to them.

:stupid:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
hooples3 said:
i think its a great idea...

i would also word it to say that you are interested in seeing their facilities etc etc.. learning more about there program etc etc and by visiting it wopuld be a great way to do that..
also if your dealing with a certain person, you would love to meet htem in person and put a face to the name

show tremendous interest in their work/jobs
Absolutely!!! Good luck!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Slugman said:
My $ .02 - besides the email, spend an hour or so tracking down the appropriate people, and CALL THEM.
I've tried, several times. All the resumes go to a central location, regardless of the job they are referencing and very few list any contact person. I tried calling the school, the department, and the HR office... everyone I spoke to said that all correspondences regarding the job opening should be addressed to "to whom it may concern."

Not sure if they were too lazy to look up a contact person of if it's their policy or what, but I've had no luck to this point.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
jacksonpt said:
Well, I tried calling again and didn't get anywhere, so I sent the e-mail.

Fingers crossed...
Good luck. I sent out a bunch of CV's to several universities back in January. I've gotten a few letters back saying "we look forward to reviewing your credentials, blah blah blah" but that's it. I wish I knew more. At least I haven't gotten any "We're sorry but" letters yet. There's hope I guess.

J

JRB

I might have said,

To whom it may concern:

I recently submitted my resume for job xyz. I will be in Tucson visiting family, March 6 - 11, and would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss an availavle position, and would very much like to see your campus.

Please let me know if your schedule will allow for a meeting. I looking forward to meeting you and learning more about your organization.

Of course, you sent it, so I am really just nit picking. I would look for a contact, and if you can tell us what department, we can see if we can find a department chair. I might have a couple of resources here that could help get a name.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
loco said:
I might have said,

To whom it may concern:

I recently submitted my resume for job xyz. I will be in Tucson visiting family, March 6 - 11, and would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss an availavle position, and would very much like to see your campus.

Please let me know if your schedule will allow for a meeting. I looking forward to meeting you and learning more about your organization.

Of course, you sent it, so I am really just nit picking. I would look for a contact, and if you can tell us what department, we can see if we can find a department chair. I might have a couple of resources here that could help get a name.
I would have added a line about ensuring that you would wear pants. Interviewers like it when you wear pants.

J

JRB

DRB said:
I would have added a line about ensuring that you would wear pants. Interviewers like it when you wear pants.
Unless you are a stripper. I think they don't like it, if you are a stripper. Not that jackson should strip, ever.