Quantcast

Retrogrouch thread...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So a recent post regarding wheel sizes got me to thinking...who is still rocking old school stuff? Be it wheel size, full bike, neon or wool, hairnet helmets or simply resisting bike mounted computers and the like? I suspect like many, I resist replacing stuff that isnt broken or worn out.

I am slowly coming current...still all 26" although the only rim brakes I now have are on the road bike. No computers, dont even have a smart phone (Although the Frau says that will change on return to the US...) but I do have an old Polar HR monitor that still gets use occasionally. Recently traded the old rim braked Kona Unit for an On One Inbred with discs, but they are almost the same bike otherwise...

Who has some old school goods that still get play? I know there are a few of you...toe clips and straps anyone?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
still have v brakes.

not interested in paying 2-3 grand for a somewhat decent bike anymore.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Been wanting a bmx again lately. Figured it would be something fun to ride when my son starts riding bikes in a next few years. Wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting a 4th bike, but she hasn't said no yet :weee:
does rochester still have a strong street scene? it was thriving when i lived there. i know the loss of x-dreams really put a damper on it, but i believe kink and blackout distro are still based there.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
does rochester still have a strong street scene? it was thriving when i lived there. i know the loss of x-dreams really put a damper on it, but i believe kink and blackout distro are still based there.
Been out of the loop for a while but I still have a few buddies who ride bmx. I know Kink is still in ROC, not sure about Blackout though. There are a few newer indoor bike parks around the area now but can't think of the names off hand right now.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm still rocking a 2002 Turner RFX. It won't seem to break and I have no reason to replace it right now. I'll probably ride it til the bitter end.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Still have a pair of 535 clipless that I bought in 1997. My first upgrade, I think. Heavy as lead but you can't kill em...

Otherwise, I'm pretty new school, with Kranked-approved 29" wheels on my trail sled, a 24" dirt jumper, and a 29+ krampus in the stand. Some things are just that much better...like shimano brakes vs. pretty much anything that came before...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
:stupid:

Been wanting a bmx again lately. Figured it would be something fun to ride when my son starts riding bikes in a next few years. Wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting a 4th bike, but she hasn't said no yet :weee:
BMX is so fun. I bought a used Cult off of CL to ride with my nephew at the skateparks. My brother rides his skateboard and my nephew rides his strider. I'll take my kid once he's old enough.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I guess some people see my bike as old school these days... 26, hardtail, flats. Can't say pay attention to that though - it's certainly not holding me back from having fun. It's versatile, easy to maintain and suits me.

re: my avid cr from 2009 are still rocking and feel great. Bleed once every 18 months or so.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BMX is so fun. I bought a used Cult off of CL to ride with my nephew at the skateparks. My brother rides his skateboard and my nephew rides his strider. I'll take my kid once he's old enough.
bmx is the best. if i could only have one bike it would probably be this.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
All 3 are 26", a Cannondale with original elastomer/spring headshock and v-brakes, just got back to flats on one of them this year (that's a fun way to ride all over again), and rocking the pink lycra shorts (sometimes covered with my baggies, though).

It's only if I lost everything, like in a house fire (knock on wood that never happens), that I'd consider going to this new-fangled wheel size.....

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
all 26" yo.

except for my two 24" bmx cruisers.

EDIT: ride all bikes on flat pedals now but with 5-10 shoes, does this DQ me?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm confused as well, i have a set of carbon xc wheels, but they are on a ~2002 yeti XC hardtail. with a triple crank no less. am i gambling with the fabric of spacetime?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i'm confused as well, i have a set of carbon xc wheels, but they are on a ~2002 yeti XC hardtail. with a triple crank no less. am i gambling with the fabric of spacetime?
i am waiting for a magical black hole to open up after reading this.

i dont have old stuff. but i live with people who have old bikes. i think im going to take one off their hands (they just sit outside anyways), and convert it into a snow bike for next year.. some early 00s jamis, its orange.