Quantcast

Return of the Peyto! [o]

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
This has been my do it all bike the last couple years, and just recently swapped all the geared/suspended junk onto a new custom ti frame.

What to do with the old? Rigid SS of course! Selling the old frame wouldn't net me much, and getting nearly all the new stuff for the SS setup was cheaply procured on eBay. Tensioner for now. I've got a couple half links to play with, but they didn't quite cut it either - some dropout or axle filing would be needed. Not sure just how much, and if I want to go that route with then having to mess around making sure it doesn't mess with my rear brake spacing.

Sold my blast SS (Ionic Johnny Rotten/Karate Monkey fork) after getting used to the slacker riding Peyto and squishy bike. Not liking it's much steeper XC race geometry, bye-bye it went. The intent was to replace it with something with the slackness, short wheelbase, and small frame of the Peyto. Eventually. Fun SS trail ride, and something to work on my hack trials/urban/jump skills with.

Now of course I have some time off from work for the holidays, a nasty cold, and trails covered with slick as snot icy crap. Sweet! Some Continental Spike 2.1" studded tires are on the way...

(here's the new geary, with all the previous parts on the Peyto swapped on)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Nice work on the Peyto - but that thing is calling out for a suspension fork once again - at least in my eyes. Why not make it a steel SS variation on the Geared Ti bike? Maybe with an older 5" fork or something along those lines? No?

Regardless of how it is set up - it is great to see the return of that Wild Bill!!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Nice work on the Peyto - but that thing is calling out for a suspension fork once again - at least in my eyes. Why not make it a steel SS variation on the Geared Ti bike? Maybe with an older 5" fork or something along those lines? No?

Regardless of how it is set up - it is great to see the return of that Wild Bill!!
nah, i actually like riding rigid anyhow. the 29'er fork and the taller lower headset cup get me nearly the same head angle i had before, witht he pike sagged. about a half degree steeper i think. it's got stupid big tire room too.

this is the one the studded tires are going on, when they show up.

rigid with the slacker angles actually is far more comfy (IMO) than with steeper geometry. i've run the peyto a couple times with a tall rigid fork, and that is my observation compared to my old steep angled SS at least.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Cool - that fork looks good on there and yeah you have lots of room for big meats in front and or studded tires.

that frame has to be considered an all time classic. Good move to keep it.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Didn't you have a Curtlo rigid? I think it was orange? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Nah, my Ionic (the old SS) was orange and rigid. The old Curtlo was geared/susy forked. It met an untimely demise, and the Peyto was it's much tougher successor.