Quantcast

Revelstoke/Golden

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Who has been to Revelstoke and Golden/Kicking Horse? Would you choose one spot over the other for riding?

A friend moved to western Alberta recently, so looking to make the trek out at the very beginning of September.

Revelstoke looks awesome - I've been looking at the Martha's Creek descent for a while. Anyone done that? Whats the best way to the top, shuttle? Helicopter? Hitchhike?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
we went spent a few days camping @ revy last summer. first time out there; really neat zone. didn't hit all the hardcore routes (riding with family), but did a couple fun extended downcountry sessions around mt mac (small bike territory), and had a good day at the bikepark - well worth checking out; not a huge selection of trails, but nicely built, with zero lines, and the trails they do have are silly fun (ie, the top to bottom flow-y trail route is something like 15k, with ~300 berms & bazillions of jumps). there's a solid techgnar fall line trail in there as well.

looking at the map, martha's looks like good times. will have to explore that region some more...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Martha is sick, it's a shuttle. Frisby is okay, but do it late in the day so you can avoid having a lot of uphill traffic on the descent back to the main parking area, otherwise it's kind of too many people to really enjoy opening it up, definitely take it all the way back to the valley instead of the frisby parking proper, but kinda either makes it a shuttle or a long climb up. McPherson is meh but good for some xc'ish pedalling, Boulder is also pretty much shuttle and okay...TBH I kinda feel like Revy is marginally overrated. East Kootenay/Golden though if you want some of the steepest longest trails you've ever ridden is ridiculous, not sure I've ridden as sustained fall line trails anywhere else as I have there.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Also Panorama/Invermere has some really good stuff too, if you don't mind working for it above the bikepark, some great alpine stuff and Hopeful Creek is really really fun.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Awesome thank you for the info. The more I look at it, Revelstoke might be better for a different trip, unless we just do Martha's one day.

Kickinghorse or Panorama might be the ticket.

I should probably make an attempt to find some brake pads now, rather than later...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Who has been to Revelstoke and Golden/Kicking Horse? Would you choose one spot over the other for riding?

A friend moved to western Alberta recently, so looking to make the trek out at the very beginning of September.

Revelstoke looks awesome - I've been looking at the Martha's Creek descent for a while. Anyone done that? Whats the best way to the top, shuttle? Helicopter? Hitchhike?
Revy has a few different spots to ride with really varied terrain. I did a shuttle day at Boulder Mountain, finishing up on the other side of the highway on some slab-filled thing (Lost Boys?). We also went up and did Martha's Creek with a truck shuttle, but I'd describe that trail as scenic rather than great trail. If you have time there's some crazy long trail all the way down Frisby but we didn't ride it.

If you're over near Kicking Horse, its worth the short drive up to Mt 7 to at least look at the Psychosis track. There's a lot of good trails on Mt 7, not just the mental ones.

If you're going in September the weather might factor into your decision - it snowed on us at Kicking Horse in July.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Revy has a few different spots to ride with really varied terrain. I did a shuttle day at Boulder Mountain, finishing up on the other side of the highway on some slab-filled thing (Lost Boys?). We also went up and did Martha's Creek with a truck shuttle, but I'd describe that trail as scenic rather than great trail. If you have time there's some crazy long trail all the way down Frisby but we didn't ride it.

If you're over near Kicking Horse, its worth the short drive up to Mt 7 to at least look at the Psychosis track. There's a lot of good trails on Mt 7, not just the mental ones.

If you're going in September the weather might factor into your decision - it snowed on us at Kicking Horse in July.
:thumb:

Yeah the weather has me a little concerned, but I guess its just a crap shoot and cross your fingers type of thing. Kicking Horse closing date is September 6th as well.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I did a trip to Revelstoke with my riding buddies 3 years ago or so. We set up a shuttle service with Wandering Wheels and rode a bunch at Boulder and did the Martha Creek shuttle too. It was all really fun riding. We also did the heli drop to Mt Cartier which was pretty damned cool, but I’m not the biggest fan of exposure and rode like a Mary until we hit the tree line.

The sheer amount of riding we did was a
awesome.

Never been to Golden but I’ll defer to Flip on riding trips. He’s done way more than I have!