Quantcast

Review: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm tired of remakes. Had a conversation with someone who live in LA the other day, she is somewhat involved in the entertainment industry. We got to talking about all the remakes lately and she said it's in part a result of a writer's strike from a couple years ago. As in, the studios sure as hell weren't gonna stop making movies so they just went and did a bunch of remakes for which new writing wasn't really required. Not sure if there's any truth in there...

Anyway, I like Depp but Gene Wilder is the only Wonka.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
NYTimes posted a review of it today. Sounds like a bit of a mixed bag. Actually, if anybody was to remake the film , Tim Burton was the logical choice to direct since he's got a sense of whimsical creepiness in most of what he does. That fits the story.

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
NPR's review this morning was a mixed bag also. I'm expecting to like it though.

Oh and yes, BG is jaw dropping in HD. Can't wait for the season 1 DVDs.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
N8 said:
Want to see this one with my daughter.

Review: 'Chocolate Factory' Is Sweet, Tart Treat
Burton Lets Depp Run Free As Willy Wonka
Debra A. Scott, Staff Writer

How dare they remake one of the most beloved musicals in screen history and how dare they put Johnny Depp into Gene Wilder's shoes?

More: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/entertainment/4725947/detail.html?ontheside=story
N8, are you from Pittsburgh? We used to go to the drive-in to see this movie on Rte 19 when it first came out.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
N8 said:
I'm withholding that judgement until I see the movie. Depp is one of the most interesting actors today.
Whatever, I live to e-speculate. :D Seriously, Wilder's Wonka is one of my favorite movie characters ever and I just don't see the point in doing a remake other than making $$. I like Depp too but am having a hard time believing he did this movie for any reason other than the cash. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I would rather see Depp and Burton do something else. I just don't see the point. I feel the same way about cover songs too - I mean cool if you want to play something live but to spend the time and effort to re-do a song on a record? I dunno, not for me but enjoy.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
OGRipper said:

i must agree. i can't withhold judgement until i see the movie. i refuse to believe that anyone would be a better wonka than gene wilder.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Funny, I've heard both in this thread that remakes suck, and Battlestar Galactica rocks.

:think:

silly_rabbit

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
I think that remakes of movies are crap and they should not be made, but I cant make judgments about Depp being wonka yet, but Wilder is the classic,. and most remakes are horrible.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OGRipper said:
Did you know that Roald Dahl did not like or approve of the original movie? Nor did he like Wilder's version of Wonka (He wanted a different actor to play Wonka). The original movie (Which I love!) was not faithful to the book. This version should be a better representation of the book and Dahl's vision. Personally I am not going to compare the two movies, as I think they are likely going to be very different from each other.

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Wife wanted to go tonight real bad so she won. This was the book on screen, Depp and Burton again prove why they are two of the best men in the film industry. All the little things from the book were in it, Charlie stopping by the Chocolate factory and breathing in the aroma of chocolate because he can't afford it, all the little stories that Grandpa tells Charlie, and best of all Dahl's actual lyrics to the songs. Danny Elfman did a great job taking Dahl's lyrics and creating music for them. I can honestly say if you have read the book I think you will like this film version better then older one.

Now to go watch my TiVo'd Battlestar Galactica.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the new version of the movie looks like its real trippy. i might see that eventually. although im more looking forward to seeing the wedding crashers than this.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Hollywood sucks they made about 6 good movies and now they just do remakes every 20 years :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: ,I`am so glad i live far from there now